Been done for speeding - driver identity[locked] - jez_530i
Hi

I need some legal advice. I have been done for doing 97 in a 60 limit (nice day and little traffic so no danger!!).
Me and Mrs are insured on the car and we dont remember who was driving because we share the car throughout the day. We have had the photo but it is dark and bit blurred so no ID possible. If we write back and say we dont know who was driving, which is true, will the councel jobsworths drop it?
I already have a TS10 so dont want another 3 points and dont see why the wife should have then either if she might not have been driving. Ta!

made make/model no-specific.

Edited by Pugugly on 16/09/2008 at 20:00

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Collos25
I think you need proper legal advice pretty urgently.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - adverse camber
If you *really* cant remember who was driving at just shy of 100mph then that implies habitual behaviour.

Bans all round.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - oldnotbold
It won't be a three pointer.

In excess of 40%/30 mph over the limit will certainly get a ban. 14 days minimum, more likely a month, I'd suggest.

Edited by oldnotbold on 15/09/2008 at 16:25

Been done for speeding - driver identity - cheddar
You remember it was a nice day a little traffic though not who was driving?

Though I have some sympathy with the fact that you are asked to incrimintae yourself or your wife, the system is flawed.

See here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=50868

... and here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=51907
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Alby Back
I think one of you may have to look for a new pushbike. If you persist with the "can't remember" you may need two or perhaps a tandem.
You've come to the wrong place if you think we'll admire your snip for a) doing 97 in a 60 and b) thinking you can pull a fast one to get off it.

Try the Corsa owners' forum if you want that kind of attention.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/09/2008 at 18:55

>>You've come to the wrong place if you think we'll admire your snip for a) doing 97 in a 60 >>

Lets put it into perspective, this is the forum that recently featured a thread along the lines of "How fast have you driven" and lots of comments like "125, on a track of course ;-)".

Edited by Pugugly on 15/09/2008 at 18:56

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Lud
To explain further, those who have done similar things in their time, and whose moral disapproval is therefore inflected or reduced (if indeed they feel any), will see it as a banal act which has got you caught bang to rights, perhaps owing to your own lack of caution. Those who have never done anything like that, or who are born-again mimsers after a hooligan youth that failed to fettle their abilities, will see you as an acolyte of Satan and rejoice in your suffering.

You may well have to hold your nose and take your medicine.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - b308
Lets put it into perspective this is the forum that recently featured a thread along
the lines of "How fast have you driven" and lots of comments like "125 on
a track of course ;-)".

As one who admitted to 120 on that thread I would defend myself by saying it WAS on an unrestriced bit of Autobahn, as were many of the others... its your choice if you don't believe me or the others, Cheddar, but please don't tar us all with the same brush...

As for this case... its the second thread recently where they "could not remember" who was driving... and both were looking at bans... convenient memory loss?
... its your choice if you don't believe me or the others Cheddar but please don't tar
us all with the same brush... >>

308, I was following on from oldnotbold's post simply ensuring that the OP does not think all on here are holier than thou, with respect oldnotbold !

Edited by cheddar on 15/09/2008 at 17:50

308 I was following on from oldnotbold's post simply ensuring that the OP does not
think all on here are holier than thou with respect oldnotbold !

Sorry m8, misunderstood you!
Been done for speeding - driver identity - movilogo
You must show reasonable diligence to prove that you really cannot remember who was driving.

Example: logs of mobile phone call, appointments in office/dentists etc. Registered keeper has a duty to take a note of who was driving all time (theoretically).

Seek legal help - you really need it unless don't mind having a short ban. IIRC, a ban wipes off existing points.

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Alanovich
(nice day and little traffic so no danger!!).

NO danger? Not exactly. There's alway danger, even at 10mph. If you don't understand that, then get off the road.

And the stereotyping of BMW drivers is being called into question on another thread.....
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Fullchat
Interesting feature on one of those cop programmes the other night in respect of an RAF Officer who couldn't name who was driving. Pat of the 'Pat and Carl' duo Thames Valley Road Wars series - must have got himself a day job, arrested the RAF Officer and subsequently gained a conviction using facial mapping techniques ie taking a photograph and superimposing it on the silhouette of the drivers face which was 'blurred'. RAF Officer convicted and subsequently lost his job to boot.
As regards the 90 in a 60 I would have to say that in my circumstances it wouldn't have been my Mrs she doesn't drive at those speeds.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Armitage Shanks {p}
As an ex-RAF person I don't think it likely that anybody in the RAF would lose their job, unless it was for very over the limit drunk in charge offence. Mere speeding or dangerous driving wouldn't do it, unless a custodial sentence was imposed, IMO

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 15/09/2008 at 17:12

Armitage Shanks. An RAF Officer who commits a criminal offence involving dishonesty would surely face a Court Marshal??

Edited by Fullchat on 15/09/2008 at 18:12

All fullchat said was that the RAF person could not name who was driving, this in itself is not criminal or dishonest. There may have been elements of untruthfullness or an attempt to pervert the course of justice but this has not been mentioned. Naturally members of the Forces are subject to the laws of the land but losing your job for not knowing who was driving your car is not grounds for dismissal. As I said we do not have the full facts, and probably won't. I now see a post saying he has lost his job but not what he was convicted of to lead to this outcome. I have been overtaken by events!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 15/09/2008 at 19:15

Been done for speeding - driver identity - billy25
>>would surely face a Court Marshal??

This would certainly happen, but i think they are called Court Ushers!

he would later be further nobbled by his superiors at a Court Martial! ;-) ;-)

Billy
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Ben 10
"As an ex-RAF person I don't think it likely that anybody in the RAF would lose their job, unless it was for very over the limit drunk in charge offence. Mere speeding or dangerous driving wouldn't do it, unless a custodial sentence was imposed, IMO"

It was on the news. He lost his job.
Sorry I was a bit thin on fact. If I remember correctly he tried saying that someone else had control of his vehicle and that another unknown person was driving. He maintained this to the wire and it was facial mapping technology that clearly identified him as the driver.
I have Goggled but cant find the details. I would have thought that he may have been charged with Attempting to Pervert the Course of Justice as a starter. Whether he got a prison sentence I don't know
He dug himself a big hole. I don't suppose being convicted with that offence sits very well with the standards and behaviour expected by the holder of a Queens Commission.
What about the more obvious loopholes? Was the NIP correctly served, with 14 days of the alleged offence + postage time, call it 16 overall. Were the date and time correct? Was the location/road name/number correct. If you want to be tricky and devious you could ignore it and claim that it was never received but that will only delay the inevitable. The PO lose 250,000 items a day so non-delvery is a distinct possibility but you have already posted, on a public forum read by at least 2 serving officers, that you DID receive it!
Just be clear, I'm not being sniffy about the actual event. "There but for the grace of....." and so on. Although I don't do it very much if at all now. Too risky.

I got caught about 20 years ago at very high speed. For some reason I got points and a big fine but no ban. Nowadays, it seems to be taken much more seriously and I need my licence so I just don't push it anymore.

Best of luck but I would seriously advise telling the truth in so far as you know it. Contrition may help to lessen the sentence.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Peter D
Go to www.pepipoo.com and complete the entire NIP Wizard with ALL the facts you will get some initial advice. Does you wife drive around an 97 all the time then ?. Going note sure who the driver is usually ends in a Failure to Furnish MS90 charge which is 6 points and minm £300 means tested, you will read on Pepipoo of a fine of £900 for this. Was this a gatso or a mobile camera If the later then you can make an appointment and go and view the video and there will be close footage of you to help you identify the driver. Regards Peter
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Dipstick
There is also, at

www.pepipoo.com/Magistrates_guidelines.htm

a little calculator to enter your speed and the speed limit. A rudimentary attempt at putting in 97 for a 60 limit gives a reasonably low fine range and a possible ban, rather than a definite one, but of course it's only a rough idea. And six points.

Edited by Dipstick on 15/09/2008 at 17:25

And you state "I have been done for doing 97 in a 60 limit (nice day and little traffic so no danger!!). You said 'I' and you new the weather and the ammount of traffic. Was this in Scotland as the law is slightly different. Regards Peter
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Altea Ego
Jez

Have you had the NIP in the post then? I would have thought they will want one or both of you in court to explain 97 in a 60 limit!

> will the councel jobsworths drop it?

No, not this one.

Google a Map for the road . The NSL on a single carriageway is 60.
Are you referring to the A46 is that really a dual carriageway ? Give us facts and what speed do they allege you were doing in that limit. Regards Peter
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Nsar
Saying you can't recall who was driving at a given point in a journey in the last couple of weeks is simply cobblers.

Sorry guys I posted in the wrong thread. Regards Peter
Been done for speeding - driver identity - rtj70
I would think a ban is possible. Get real legal advice. It goes to the magistrates if 26mph or more over the limit and you clearly were in that category. In fact you'd be in front of the court if this was a motorway which I assume it was not.

Depending on income, doing 97mph on a motorway could lead to at least £150 fine, 5+ points but this is worse.

Best of luck but you're not getting out of it and nor should you. Remembering roads were clear means you remember who was driving IMHO. And even if you don't remember one of you is in serious trouble.

I find it slightly amusing you think you don't want another 3 points. You're probably looking at a ban or at least 6+ points and hefty fine :-) So not only do you go through red lights (TS10) but you do about 60% above the speed limit. And indicated had to be over 100mph allowing for error.

Edited by rtj70 on 15/09/2008 at 19:00

Having thought some more.... to say you don't know who was driving at a true 97mph (so the speedo reading over 100mph) could make the outcome worse. Because this would suggest both of you regularly drive at over 100mph but got caught this time. It's not as if you're saying I cannot remember who was doing 35mph in a 30 zone is it.

Apart from still thinking get good legal advise now... someone needs to admit guilt or they will throw the book at you.

Your post also implies doing 97mph (so > 100mph indicated) is fine on a clear road in fine weather. In fact I'd not want to post these facts as they could always be traced back to you.

My advise therefore is get a solicitor and plan to grovel. If one of you can live without a license due to a ban then perhaps they were the driver ;-) Because a ban of sorts is very likely. And you've got previous for jumping red lights so they may take that into account too.

Edited by rtj70 on 15/09/2008 at 19:48

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Optimist
Is this a wind-up, jez?

You say you and your wife share the car throughout the day.

But are you really saying neither of you can remember being on the road in which the offence was committed?

Or are you saying you both drove that road that day but neither can remember driving at just under 100 at whatever time it was?

Or are you saying that you're both terminally absent-minded?

Go to court and try it on. It'll give the bench a laugh.

Reading his post a few times, it appears to me as a wind up. He hasn't responded to anyone yet to defend himself.
I thought troll too...
Been done for speeding - driver identity - jez_530i
No it isnt a windup. I posted at just after 3pm and then been out shopping and been for a gargle. Not everyone spends their life on computers. I expected one or two replies, not 30+ !!
Car was snapped on a normal 60mph road. Its a quiet road, the weather was good and the car is ticking over at 100mph so my concience is clear on the safety aspect.
I must confess I dont understand all your replies some are a little to philosophical for me.
Me and Mrs run our own business and share two cars and do a lot of driving about locally so it is easy to forget who is driving. Got nicked on a stretch of road not too far from home but we dont usually drive over there.
If they cant see from the picture who was driving and the owner, me, cant remember then there is surely no case to answer is there?
But if a ban could be on the table then I will ring my solicitor tomorrow morning to get the story sorted out. I cant afford to take a ban it would hit the business very badly.
Another thing. I came on here thinking its a petrolheads forum, not for lectures. I cant believe you can get a ban for doing under 100 it shows what a pfd country this is.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/09/2008 at 20:26

Been done for speeding - driver identity - NorfolkDriver
>>I cant believe you can get a ban for doing under 100 it shows what a
pfd country this is.

What is the Maximum speed you are allowed to travel at on ANY road in UK?

Is it 100mph?

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Bromptonaut
Another thing. I came on here thinking its a petrolheads forum ........

It's not; which is why most of us are here.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - nortones2
Perhaps you should buy a car that doesn't insulate you from reality.
If they cant see from the picture who was driving and the owner me cant
remember then there is surely no case to answer is there?
But if a ban could be on the table then I will ring my solicitor
tomorrow morning to get the story sorted out. I cant afford to take a ban
it would hit the business very badly.

Why not try slowing down. Not only do you not have to worry about cameras flashing at you, it also improves mpg's no end.

I drive a diesel and was averaging 55 to the gallon. A couple of months ago I slowed from 70 to 65 on dual carriageways and my average went up to 65mpg. Nice little earner really.

As for the picture, lets hope it shows very clearly who was driving. YOU know who was driving but are trying to blame your wife as YOU dont want to lose YOUR licence.

Wifey isnt happy about losing her licence either.

Stuck really aint you? Lets all hope for a clear picture, you pleading not guilty and then facing a nice big ban for being reckless.

Think about it, put your hand up and admit you're wrong and they MAY be lenient with you.

Look guys, whats done is done. There is no point in telling me to slow down now after the event. If you cant offer useful advice then dont bother to post because I aint going to read it. Dont all tell me you never been faster than 70. Why do I have a car that will do 150? Because I want to go 60 on a clear stright road? Not!
Been done for speeding - driver identity - nortones2
What clear straight road is that, with a 60 limit? No intersections, no slow traffic just beyond the rise? Do tell: they must be few and far between.
I must say jez you are amazingly insouciant about the law. If we take your word for it that you weren't going faster than was safe - perfectly possible, many would agree - then we must hope that you don't suffer too long a ban, if your brief doesn't get you off.

It's often on unfamiliar bits of fast safe (except from the law in all its forms) road that people get nicked. Saw a temporary ANPR speed camera van parked in a place AE has mentioned on the A24 a couple of weeks ago, and still fearing the nip (although was following another non-mimser who had already backed off causing me too to dab the brakes a couple of times, so may be all right).

It's so depressing all this. The traffic goes slower and slower taking good drivers with it, and crazed illegal hooligans carry on regardless.

Edited by Lud on 15/09/2008 at 20:34

Lud you are talking in riddles mate. What does insouciant mean?
Offhand, uncaring or carefree.
"I cant believe you can get a ban for doing under 100"

Which shows your disregard for speed limits by a wide margin. You assumed 3 points at worst for this offence but a ban is possible/probable.

If I were you, I would ask the moderators to delete this thread because it does nothing for your defence. See a lawyer as soon as to avoid a ban.

I used to speed on motorways (once did 35,000 per annum). Got done doing 97mph on a motorway in fact. 5 points and £150 fine. But it was a clear straight motorway section on a sunny Sunday. But that was no defence. Without my license work would have been difficult and got a letter explaining that. You're self employed so the letter might have less of an effect when in front of the magistrates.

And the fine is means tested so you will declare income and outgoings. I would not think the TS10 will help either.

I am not preaching. You could be in for a ban.... I've not been caught speeding since as the most I do is 78mph on a motorway and it's now ten years ago since I sped like that.

P.S. Whilst still offering advise/opinion "will the councel jobsworths drop it" it's the magistrate's court where this will be decided and not the council. No way to avoid this being more than 26mph over the limit. Been there done that.

Edited by rtj70 on 15/09/2008 at 20:55

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Pugugly
blithe unconcern; nonchalant.

Enough flaming of the OP he's asked for advice and received the usual flaming for his troubles. It comes as a bit of a shock to new members now and again, when all they ask for is a little advice.....

Rob - Moderator.
Thanks for that. I got more than I bargained for. I feel like a sinner in church of a sunday morning.
One question jez, have you had a NIP or a summons so far. It'll go to the magistrates but the timelines for saying who was driving mean you might want legal advise before you reply. You normally have 28 days (I think) for a NIP. Mine was late 1998 so cannot remember.

And mine was after 14 days due to company vehicle.... police, clerk at court and magistrates all really nice people. I even tried to be so honest to tell them I'd had a pay rise in the meantime but they didn't want/need to know. And they would have let me pay monthly.

But with 5 points it slowed me down and none since... well never deleted those to be honest so they still show.
Was this a Gatso or a Mobile Camera Van, if it was the latter was it road side or on a bridge. Was the picture from the front or rear. Did the NIP arrive within 14 days of the alleged offence. ( Day Zero ) Regards Peter
Enough flaming of the OP he's asked for advice and received the usual flaming for
his troubles. It comes as a bit of a shock to new members now and
again when all they ask for is a little advice.....
Rob - Moderator

Because his first post ever on here is to ask how he can lie to get out of a well earned speeding conviction. As it happens in all the angst and outrage information has come out that he seems not to have realised. The fact that Plod is not simply going to offer a conditional penalty, and that a trip to court will be required. This one fact alone should direct the OP to seek qualified legal assistance.

My opinion on people getting caught for speeding is well know on here. I have no sympathy for any one caught by camera. If you didnt see the camera in good time, you were driving faster than your concentration and observations skills allow. If i get caught the same way I shall slap myself for doing the same thing.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - RichardW
" If i get caught the same way I shall slap myself for doing the same thing."

Anything you say may be taken down and used in evidence!! :-)) We shall remember this statement and use it appropriately as and when required.

TBH I am in the same mind set - if you weren't paying enough attention not to see the camera / know you were over the limit then you probably deserve it (easy for me to say since I have nil points!) - a few months of civil obedience would destroy the scameras for ever!

Been done for speeding - driver identity - L'escargot
Ask your wife if she ever does 97 in a 60 limit. If she says no, then you have to assume that you were the driver. If she says yes, then on the basis of what's yours is hers and vice versa you might as well be a man and assume responsibility.
But with a TS10 (3 points for traffic light offence) then this will be another 6+ points. Could be loss if license under totting up if he has more than 3 points.

The difficulty in avoid a ban though is the speed involved. I know of someone who was still driving on 12 points. And got done again. He kept his license and a huge fine - but 15 points! Some years ago.

But to argue a moment's lapse of concentration in say a 30 or 40 zone is different to 100mph in a 60mph limit. And the magistrates will now speed read more than 100mph for a recorded 97mph. I'm doing a nearly 80mph indicated when sat nav says 70mph.

Edited by rtj70 on 15/09/2008 at 21:25

I already have a TS10 so dont want another 3 points and dont see why
the wife should have then either if she might not have been driving.

Discuss it with your wife and decide between the two of you who is going to take the penalty.
Nowingly taking the blame when it was not true ir perverting the coarse of justice and can and does lead to prison. I suspect this is a Mobile camera unit and they will prove in court, as that's where it is going, who was driving. Regards Peter
jez sez: >> Got nicked on a stretch of road not too far from home but we dont usually drive over there. >>

If you don't usually use that road, jes, how come you don't know who was driving?

This is either a wind-up or both you and your wife are too inattentive to be allowed on a public road.

Been done for speeding - driver identity - jbif
This is either a wind-up
Reading his post a few times, it appears to me as a wind up
I thought troll too...

"When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea." (Eric Cantona, 31 March 1995).

The bait is there is abundance in virtually each and every post. BMW, 530i, TS10, 150mph car, unfamiliar road yet deemed to be safe, jobsworth, a pfd country, and many many others.

"do a lot of driving about locally so it is easy to forget who is driving. Got nicked on a stretch of road not too far from home but we dont[sic] usually drive over there." ...... "Its a quiet road, the weather was good and the car is ticking over at 100mph so my concience[sic] is clear on the safety aspect."

So within the time it has taken for the NIP to arrive, all other details are fresh in his mind except who was driving.

Been done for speeding - driver identity - krs one
Jez, I think a short ban might instill some much needed sense into your head.

Nobody is whiter that white, but most sensible people wouldn't do the speed you were doing on the motorway nevermind a single carriageway A-road.

Breaking the limit by such a margin while not knowing the possible punishments is daft, and your assertion that what you were doing was safe suggests you have a very high opinion of your own driving skill.

I wouldn't be suprised if you don't get done for more than just speeding.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - smokie
Goodness, we have a judgemental bunch on here.

I googled this as I don't think anyone above has really explained the position clearly, and foiund this, tinyurl.com/6nmbro, which succinctly gives the position if the owner can't declare who was driving.

Selective quotes from the article "There is a defence to a section 172 offence under S172(3) which says: A person who fails to comply with the requirement is guilty of an offence unless he shows to the satisfaction of the court that he did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who the driver of the vehicle ... was.

"However most courts set the bar very high for what they count as "reasonable diligence" as many DIY defendants clutching a few half truths and pages printed off from web forums have found to their great cost.

"A conviction under S172 will almost certainly mean 3 points on the registered keeper's licence and a fine which is designed to be far more punitive than that which would have been incurred for the original offence. A fine of £400-£600 is common for a relatively minor speeding infringement and the penalty will be proportionally higher the more severe the original offence.

"Furthermore beyond a certain point, once a S172(3) defence has been embarked on it is almost impossible to get back to admitting the original offence. In almost all cases if you know the identity of the driver (especially if it is you) you will be better off by declaring it than taking a gamble that the court might find in your favour.

"However if you genuinely have a S172(3) defence you will need detailed professional legal advice (and possibly representation) to make sure your "reasonable diligence" defence stands up."

I think that answers the OPs question.
>>Goodness, we have a judgemental bunch on here.<<

Goodness, don't we just. But it's pretty much what he can expect from the Magistrates.

Hopefully he will heed the extracts you have quoted.
Failure to Furnish is now 6 points not 3. Regards Peter
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Bilboman
The net is closing. Best of luck with your case, fellow motorist, but it is soon going to be impossible to "get off" any motoring offence which C3PO, R2D2 and their human cohorts see fit to pursue to infinity. Innocent or guilty doesn't actually matter, if the computer says yes, prepare to have your collar felt: money will be collected by the self-perpetuating "partnerships" no matter what.
Circumstantial evidence is now held as the most robust and reliable, and this is the way mainstream Criminal Law is also going. Our fingerprints will be taken and stored as a matter of course sooner than we think.
Brush against a car in a street, the car is later used in a bank robbery, your fingerprints are found on the car, you are subsequently questioned, do not have an alibi, arrested, accused... Suddenly it's not so easy to get a job or university place, open a bank account... Don't forget, fingerprints can now be traced from a ballot paper, lottery ticket, cash machine...
Right to silence, right to jury trial, presumption of innocence, freedom to roam around Britain (and Ireland) without the need to prove our identity: these are comfortable, greatly loved 20th century icons we grew up with - but so was the Ford Cortina...
Been done for speeding - driver identity - welshlad
jst one little question to the OP.

your stating that you dont know who was driving at the time..........but you also state the road was clear of traffic and the weather was good......and just how do you know this if you were'nt there........and if the missus told you this then hey presto she must have been driving end of, wheres the mystery......none of these details would be known to you unless a. you were driving b. the driver has explained it to you hence you know full well who was driving.......if i can work this out then a magistrate will see right though your fairytale too

oh and by the way a solicitor will just advise you to come clean and not fight a battle you cant win only he'll take great pleasure in charging you £300 for the pleasure at least we give our advice free

Edited by welshlad on 16/09/2008 at 02:56

Good point! How easy it is to miss the blindingly obvious!
Very profound post BM! I 'd be long gone from these shores if I had the get up and go to go! To think we might look back at 2008 and remember it as a Golden Year! Getting like East Germany under Ulbricht!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 16/09/2008 at 06:54

I have been done for doing 97 in a 60
limit (nice day and little traffic so no danger!!).

I assume from that statement that you admit that your car was doing 97 at the place and time specified, and that it was you or your wife driving
I already have a TS10 so dont want another 3 points and dont see why
the wife should have then either if she might not have been driving.

That statement implies that you think you should both get off scot free, even though you've admitted the offence took place. I don't understand the way your mind works.

Edited by L'escargot on 16/09/2008 at 07:08

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Dwight Van Driver
Irrespective of what one thinks about speed mentioned and it sticks in my craw, the guy asked for advice and gets flamed. Not HJ is it?

My two penneth:

Presumably having been served with request under S172 RTA 88 to name and shame the driver of a motor vehicle involved in an offence of speeding OP is in this position.

He either accepts that he or his wife was driver and signs the form and returns within 28 days. The speed involved will not qualify for a Conditional Offer (£60/3 points) and a summons will be issued with a view for the Magistrates to consider a ban which may be evaded if one can prove such will cause undue hardship and evidence will be required on this.

But the OP is in a quandry as neither can remember who was driving at the time of being flashed. I am always wary when I read this but I suppose it can happen. The photo does not apparently help.

The position is that the 172 form HAS TO BE complied with a a driver named and returned within 28 days. Failure to do so is an offence so a summons to Court where, if found guilty, in addition to fine, CPS Costs, Victim Support donation, SIX POINTS on the Licence.

But a person shall not be guilty of an offence if he shows that he did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who the driver of the vehicle was. This will have to be argued before the Bench with what evidence can be mustered, who in fairness have heard it all before and will take some convincing.

If the route of failing memory is to be taken then consider naming both on the Form as driver togehtre with a note why both are named. It will then be up to the SCP whether they accept and NFA or continue on for a Court hearing. I suspect it will be the later.

Off track but bad memory - is that not a condition that could make a driver unsafe on the road and a risk to others? If so, when the Bench hear such cases as outlined why don't they refer the matter to DVLA who can invoke Medical procedure to see if the person is fit to hold a Driving Licence? The power IMHO is there.

To AS (stands to attention and salutes for ex Pilots are my heroes):

From my days patrolling in and around RAF Leeming I was always under the impression that a RAF Pilot reported for dasterdly traffic offences, because RAF did not feature as an injured person, proceedings were held at a civvy Court (unless caught by Snowdrop on Camp limits) and not Court Martial and a review of his behaviour conducted as it could show L.M.F. (lack of moral fibre). If that was the case then ..............>OUT.

dvd
Been done for speeding - driver identity - borasport20
Irrespective of what one thinks about speed mentioned and it sticks in my craw the
guy asked for advice and gets flamed. Not HJ is it?

Unfortunatlely, DVD, increasingly, it is the way threads are going.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - SteVee
As an (ex) speed freak, I'll try to offer some serious advice - but I don't think you'll like it.

Assume the police can prove who was driving at the time, so going with the 'can't remember defence' needs to be very carefully thought through with some good legal advice.

Sell the car. It's just not worth breaking the law to this extent.
Join RoSPA / IAM - and take their advice seriously

Do this before you go to court.

I - and others here - have had to change out attitude to speed on public roads. It looks like you're going to be converted too; one way or the other.
and gets flamed.

According to the online dictionary I checked, flamed means to insult or criticize provokingly.

I don't see any of the posts as being in that vein.

Been done for speeding - driver identity - oilrag
"I expected one or two replies, not 30+ !!"

As the chicken said to its mates, who were now tempted to start pecking each other just because it had run across the yard too fast.
;)
With the greatest respect to my learned friend DVD I have to say that I don't think OP has come out of this too badly! I think what may have raised the blood pressure and vitriol levels among our members was:-

"I have been done for doing 97 in a 60 limit (nice day and little traffic so no danger!!)."

Many of us may have taken this to read as "I know the law but but doesn't apply to me"

I am sure that wasn't what he intended but I think it was a poor start to long thread which actually contains sound advice among the asides and harsh comments!

" I posted at just after 3pm and then been out shopping and been for a gargle. Not everyone spends their life on computers. I expected one or two replies, not 30+ !!
Car was snapped on a normal 60mph road. Its a quiet road, the weather was good and the car is ticking over at 100mph so my concience is clear on the safety aspect."

So you do possess a good memory.

"I can't believe you can get a ban for doing under 100"

Its the rules. We all suffer the same consequences. Get used to it, or, move to Germany.

"There is no point in telling ME to slow down now after the event"

So you admit you were driving.

Why the need for the post. And the churlish responses from a new member to the forum is pure arrogance. What did you expect.
What did you expect.

Sympathy from a load of fellow petrolheads, I suspect, what he infact got was very little sympathy and a list of things he needs to do before its too late... and the consequences if he does them too late!
Scribe - not sure that moving to the Fatherland would help the OP - he was doing 97 in a 60, not on an unrestricted section of autobahn.

DWD - what you see above is most certainly not flaming. For a copper you seem to have led a sheltered life!

I'd have thought you'd have picked up on the issue of stopping distance - it's about 150m at 100 mph, so his comment "nice day and little traffic so no danger!!" implies that he has absolutely no comprehension of the danger of his speed.

Edited by oldnotbold on 16/09/2008 at 11:01

I like to think that we are more brain-heads than petrol-heads here!
I think this bloke (if a real situation in the first place) has had a very fair hearing and some good advice.

Did he expect some Mr Loophole style assistance? If so, he knows where to go for that.

The more he has posted (if a real situation in the first place) the more smug and self-righteous he has sounded.

If you aren't a wind-up merchant, jez, I suggest you pay up and look big.

The original poster came for advice on how to get off this offence. But the consensus is he cannot and someone will get points and a fine. And possibly a ban.

If 6 points cause a problem (ban under totting up or even a short ban full-stop) worries the original poster then he should seek legal advice. This is most likely going to the magistrates court.

Not naming a driver in itself is an offence and the fine is likely to be bigger than admitting the offence. And the points likely to be the same (6). And not naming a driver is not a defence under the European Law of Human Rights - the others that tried that route failed in the European courts.

The easiest, least stressful way forward is to accept what has happened, name the driver and hope the fine is not too large and no more than 6 points.

Best of luck.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - R75
If the route of failing memory is to be taken then consider naming both on
the Form as driver togehtre with a note why both are named. It will then
be up to the SCP whether they accept and NFA or continue on for a
Court hearing. I suspect it will be the later.

If only it were that simple!!! SWMBO and myself are currently in a similar position to the OP, but it was 36 in a 30, we genuinely do not know who was driving, it was most certainly one of us, but the picture is obscured by the sunvisor, the reason we dont know who it is is becasue the camera is between 2 different carparks for a shopping complex, we both needed to go to different shops at either end so both drove each way to drop each other off at various times in the morning ( I have a medical condition that prevents me walking very far and she was 7 months pregnant at the time!!). We followed all the advice and guidance on the Hampshire Police website and contacted the SCP by letter at least 6 times, even sending the S172 back with both names on.

We are now waiting for a date for the court case as she has been summoned for failure to provide details, and curiously, she has also been summoned for the speeding offence - I did not think they could summons for both as the first needs to be proved first. But we shall see what transpires.

I am happy to go to court as the phone advice I was given by the SCP was basically to lie and say one of us was driving to avoid going to court!!!! How bad is that, now you should plead guilty to an offence that there is only a 50% chance you committed just so you dont have to go through a legal system that is supposed to be there to protect us!!!!

Whatever happens we will loose in a big way over this but I have standards and principles.

And both myself and swmbo have clean licences.
Your till receipts from your shopping trip will tell you who was shopping at the time and who was doing the driving.
Very good, apart from the fact the carparks are less then a minutes drive apart, now would you like to tell me which is more accurate, the till clocks or the clock on the camera? - and also, I was window shopping (in a Honda garage as it happens, so unlikely to have a receipt for my shopping). Also bare in mind this was back in April, and the purchases were small items so receipts not kept for this long if at all.
I'm no supporter of silly speed limits but if the car parks are less than a minute's drive apart why were you doing 36 in a 30 limit? How did you even manage to get up to 36? In a shopping complex area?

Edited by Optimist on 16/09/2008 at 12:30

It was actually on a piece of dual carriageway that separates them.
OK. But you acknowledge that one of you broke the limit. Which of you is the more likely culprit? I think you're just heading for significant grief.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Edited by Optimist on 16/09/2008 at 12:49

Yep, we have held our hands up from the beginning that it was one of us, no argument offered there. But as for who? It really could have been either, neither of us speed as a matter of course, but it was not our car, it was swmbo fathers car, so not one we are used to driving - he had her car as he needed to move some stuff around and hers is an MPV.

And we are prepared to do the time, no arguments in that, but we would like to know who it should be to do the time - would you like to do the time for someone else, just because it may have been you, but equally may not?
Oh come on.

We all drive unfamiliar cars but usually slower than our own because of the unfamiliarity. Any way, the unfamiliar car has a speedo, doesn't it?

I'm sure you'd like to know who should do the time, but that's for you and not for the justice system, isn't it? If you can't say who was driving, how can a court?

Take it on the chin. Toss a coin if necessary. Move on.

Anyone can mistake, I doubt if you are always within 6mph of the speedlimit, and it is exactly for the justice system to ascertain who was driving, as it always used to be.

You used to get stopped by a copper who may use his judgement to give you a telling off if not too serious, but if he deemed it necessary to issue a ticket, at least he knew who to issue it to, the camera can't do that, so as a result we are all now supposed to know exactly who is driving what vehicle at every precise second of the day!!

I hope you never have to fight a similar incident - or maybe you are just quite prepared to bend over and take what is given!!! I have never given into bullies and am not about to now, and that is exactly what the SCP are in this incident.
I don't understand this, R75.

You say the car in question belongs to your wife's father. How come your wife has been written to in regard to the identity of the driver, then?

No-one is bullying you or asking you to bend over. It's the law being applied and you're desperately casting around for a way out.

I often drive above the speed limit. My wife rarely does. So if we were flashed in either car I would put my hand up if the identity of the driver was unclear.

What does the wife's father say? Isn't he now involved?

Where I work the clock in the software I use drifted to over 7 minutes different from the real, correct time. There isn't likely to be much help one way or the other by comparing the times on till reeipts IMO. BTW, when I complained to management about the inaccuracy of my computer/time it was correctd and as a rsult my computer was correct and over 400 compters on the same network became 7 mnutes out! What a result!
Maybe you used a credit or charge card.

Driving to and fro between shopping centres a minute apart so often in such a short space of time that you can't recall sounds a little bizarre and may to a Magistrate. I'd do a bit of digging if I were you otherwise you might be perceived as trying it on.

Surely the bright flowery dress and the 7 month bump will give you clues.

Then again, maybe not. :)
Why is it bizarre? We travelled between the 2 sites maybe 2 or 3 times in the morning, nothing unto odd in that, as previously stated I cant walk very far due to medical reasons and swmbo was 7 months pregnant so to comfortable walking!!!
OK so two or three journeys over the course of a morning and you know that on occasion it wasn't you because you were window shopping while your wife drove towards you on one of them. Was the camera flash on that leg of the journey (if not actually that actual journey?) You also know the time of one of the 1 or 2 journeys (because that's when you were flashed) and you still can't recall and you have no way of checking your credit card receipts.

It can't require Poirot to work it out, can it?

No flash on these cameras, they are of the forward facing type.

Now why do you think we are fighting this? We both have clean licences, the speed was such that we would have been offered a driver awareness course, not even points just a fine/payment for course. But there ar principals here, we don't know who it was so would possibly be lieing (50% chance of it anyway) if we put one of our names down. Since when has English law required us to lie? It is situations like this that actually devalue our laws.

If people dont stand up for what is right then our whole system either collapses or becomes a farce!!!!
I take your point, but your response seems to be based on not really making reasonable efforts to determine who was driving when it would be easy to do so and that isn't the same as a principled response.

One of you will end up with the punishment which will require one of you to cough for it and whilst it's up to you I'd suggest that your relationship with your wife is worth more than the fine/points combined.

You are quite right of course Nsar, We should go down every avenue to ascertain who was driving the car, and with that in mind I shall now be writing to the SCP to find out how often and against whose timings the clocks are set in that particular camera, at the same time I will write to the Honda garage to find out if they have cctv footage from that morning and if it show who was driving the car and at what time, not forgetting of course to find out how accurate their clocks are. Then I will write to all the shops my other half might have visited asking them for cctv footage and also ascertaining how accurate their time stamps are.

Oh and whilst we are at it, can you tell me the list of shops you went in, the order that you entered them in, the products purchased there and exactly where you parked the last time you went shopping (please only use an example that is over 6 weeks ago as that is how long it took before we got the S172)
Been done for speeding - driver identity - davidh
LOL!!

I think R75's sarky reply is justified in the face of the cynical attitudes some people on here have.

There is a fault in the system. A system intended to close "get outs". It already assumes you are guilty.

Dont take it out on someone who doesnt know. I want to live in a country that helps honest people. Sure someone deserves the points and fine, but in my opinion,in this case, the powers that be should just lump it and accept that a reasonable person just doesnt know who was driving then there'll be no conviction. How many times have we seen the news and someone who has blatantly commited a heinous crime has had their prosecutuon dropped due to "lack of evidence" yeah right!

If the speed cameras cant tell who was driving - thats lack of evidence IMO.
I appreciate your stand. If you genuinely can't remember who was driving even after due diligence, you should walk free out of court.

Unfortunately the current law in country has become "guilty until proven innocent" :(
Reading this thread and I am agog.

Poor old R75. Is it so hard for people to see that sometimes you genuinely cant remember who was driving?

For R75 to say either way he could be genuinely perjuring himself. (If perjury is the correct term)

Optimist said words to the effect "take the penalty and move on!" Well scuse me, but after a pleasant shopping trip, perhaps having other things on his mind and "moving on" with daily life and other important matters, it hasnt sunk in indelibly who was driving at the time of the offence! My my, how lapse of him (sarcasm)

Although speeding is absolute, as I has said in other threads, surely there is room for the magistrates to wiggle a little bit on this case? 36 on a dual carriageway isnt that heinous and R75 seems a genuine guy. If he has gone to the trouble of chasing it through with honesty and principle surely we have a legal system to accept that?
Read my post to R75 at 12.55 a few above. I'm beginning to doubt we're getting the facts properly in this case.

If it's his wife's father's car why isn't FIL being applied to for the name of the driver?

Edited by Optimist on 16/09/2008 at 14:01

Read my post to R75 at 12.55 a few above. I'm beginning to doubt we're
getting the facts properly in this case.
If it's his wife's father's car why isn't FIL being applied to for the name
of the driver?

He was, but he just filled it in with her name and sent it back, it was 6 weeks after the offence that she got the S172, he was not aware that I was with her that day, nor did he need to be. We are all insured to drive each others cars, so no problems on that front.

Anything else I can help you with?
He was, but he just filled it in with her name and sent it back, it was 6 weeks after the offence that she got the S172, he was not aware that I was with her that day, nor did he need to be.

Taking/driving without owner's consent?

Reflecting on this, I do have some sympathy. My wife and I use each other's cars all the time. If asked who was driving what car at a particular time on a day some weeks before might indeed prove difficult to remember, unless there was some significant event connected to the timing.

I think, however, that I would remember doing the ton in a 60 as this is such a variance from normal speeds and oddly enough I would be astonished to be accused of breaking a lower speed limit such as a 30 or 40 as I am quite careful to observe those due to the usual necessity for them for safety reasons.

Where some might come unstuck is on motorways or dual carriageways where it is relatively easy with a few moments lapse of concentration to drift over the speed limit.

Of course I never would but I can see that lesser mortals might......

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 16/09/2008 at 14:05

Been done for speeding - driver identity - ForumNeedsModerating
I really can't see what the 2 protagonists in this thread are on about really. If I was NIPed & the evidence was incontrovertible, there would be no choice - I suffer the penalty.

The two 'co-driver' examples here at least have the advantage of deciding who might better take the penalty - if they genuinely can't determine who was actually driving.

There would be no 'lie' in R75's case since to lie you have to know the truth & then subvert it. Of course, a cynic might say that being unable to show or prove who was driving at the time of an offence has proved a viable defence in some cases - not that I'm a cynic, but I believe that's the legal position.

Solomon (of King fame) once had a similar problem when 2 women claimed a child was theirs' & sought the great King's wisdom & judgement. Solomon said it was impossible to decide after hearing the womens' testimony who the true mother was, so in scrupulous fairness he decided to divide the child (literally!) between them. When hearing the judgement one woman said she couldn't accept the judgement & begged the King to award custody to the other woman - whereupon the King said "Only the true mother would sacrifice herself in this way for her child, you are the true mother".

The use that analogy, if the courts took the view that both are guilty unless one takes the penalty, I'm sure there would be many cases of recovered memory syndrome.

Edited by woodbines on 16/09/2008 at 14:29

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Big Bad Dave
"but it was 36 in a 30"

I couldn't possibly remember the trillions of times I've done that but I can remember each and every occasion in the last 25 years that I've driven at an indicated 115 or so in a 60 zone.
I couldn't possibly remember the trillions of times I've done that

I know what you mean Dave and I used to think like that but do now try very hard to keep to the lower limits. I was "invited" on a speed awareness course some years ago and they were at pains to point out that the most pedestrian fatalities and injuries happen in 30 and 40 mph limits. Having been made to watch CCTV footage of what happens to a child struck at 35 mph certainly made me change my views on speeding in urban areas.

I am certainly no Saint or Angel and don't want to sound like some born again anti-speed activist but the lower limits are even more important in my opinion.
It does stretch credibility a bit, saying you can't remember which of you was doing 97 in a 60 limit within the last couple of weeks. And it tends to suggest that both Mr and Mrs habitually exceed speed limits by that sort of margin.

Like midlifecrisis, if this happened to me I would know the guilty party must be me, because my wife wouldn't go at that speed or exceed a limit by that much. But actually I would remember that it had been me.

One gathers from jez's posts that both licences may already be heavily fingermarked, so he can hardly claim the whole thing is a surprise. Still, one feels some sympathy for those done for speeding unless one happens to know that they are dangerous drivers.
107 replies in 23 hours! Rather more heat than light generated, however!
>>I have never given into bullies and am not about to now, and that is exactly what the SCP are in this incident.<<

How are you being bullied? You (or your wife) got caught speeding.

Anyway try your "dunno guv'nor" shrug with the Magistrate and let us know how you get on. I'm sure if you get away with it you'll tell us and vice versa.

Thanks you all for the many replies. I assure it is not a windup, I only wish it was.
I have now done a lot of research and we have decided that both our names will go on the form and I will write a covering letter explaining the situation. I realise that there is a chance we will have to attend court be we are prepared for that. I also intend to reference the case of Tiff Needell who got done on a motorway and neither he nor mrs Needlel could remember who was driving, and he got away with it. It think this sets a precedent and will include a print out of the news item.
The Sunday school teachers who replied I assume never brake the limit? And if you do you drive straight to a police station and pay £60, yes? I thought so.
Dont forget that my car is a high perfornamce vehicle capable of out accelerating, out braking and out handling probably 95% of cars. It is probably safer at 100 mph than the average ford focus at 60 so in my opinion safety does not come into the argument. I have an accident free record, as does my wife. If the weather was bad or traffic conditions bad then I drive much more slowly, as does my wife.
have now done a lot of research and we have decided that both our names will go on the form and I will write a covering letter explaining the situation. I realise that there is a chance we will have to attend court be we are prepared for that. I also intend to reference the case of Tiff Needell who got done on a motorway and neither he nor mrs Needlel could remember who was driving, and he got away with it. It think this sets a precedent and will include a print out of the news item.

PLEASE get a solicitor.

Edited by Webmaster on 17/09/2008 at 02:10

On the form YOU have to name A driver - not give then the choice of two. I think that the Tiff Needell case did not relate to a nomination of Mr or Mrs - he said that he drove so many different cars, in the course of his journalistic and TV work that he could not say, one way or the other, that he was driving or not driving a particular car at a partucular location on a named date and time. This is not quite your position!

I could be wrong but I don't think that covering letters are accepted to accompany the 192. You either fill in the form as requested - name a driver and sign, or have your day in court to make your case.
>>Dont forget that my car is a high perfornamce vehicle capable of out accelerating, out braking and out handling probably 95% of cars. It is probably safer at 100 mph than the average ford focus at 60 so in my opinion safety does not come into the argument.<<

Be sure to mention this at the hearing, it will have a significant bearing on the outcome.

Dont forget that my car is a high perfornamce vehicle capable of out accelerating, out braking and out handling probably 95% of cars

Such arrogance will bring very little sympathy to the magistrates! Instead of accepting it was wrong to do 97 in 60 you are just trying to glorify it!

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Baskerville
Dont forget that my car is a high perfornamce vehicle capable of out accelerating out
braking and out handling probably 95% of cars. It is probably safer at 100 mph
than the average ford focus at 60 so in my opinion safety does not come
into the argument. I have an accident free record as does my wife. If the
weather was bad or traffic conditions bad then I drive much more slowly as does
my wife.

[Comment removed by sarcasm filter]
Been done for speeding - driver identity - harib
Dont forget that my car is a high perfornamce vehicle capable of out accelerating out
into the argument.

My word.

I had to register just so that I could reply to this! Maybe you should put it to the test. Drive your super Beemer into a tree at 100mph and see how well it comes off. As others have mentioned, it's funny how there was a thread the other day about which drivers get the most abuse. I hate to stereotype but goodness you've done wonders for BMW drivers everywhere!

How long ago did you get your TS10? It appears to me that you are one of those fools that seem to think that the laws don't apply to you. Now - I certainly put my foot down from time to time, but if I got busted doing an indicated >100 in a 60 area, I would just fess up.

I think only Mr. Loophole can help you here. Do let us know how you get on. Maybe I can take that Beemer of your hands if you're not able to drive it in a few months time :)

Edited by Webmaster on 17/09/2008 at 02:10

Been done for speeding - driver identity - redviper
into the argument.

I didnt want to add anything to this tread without being branded a preacher, but really this is starting to annoy me

having a high perfomance car, still does not give you the right to break the law!!!

The law cannot be simpler, you have broken the limit thefore you must suffer the consequences

is your car still safer at 97 mile ahour on a public road if your tyre blows out????

If you want to reach these speeds, then utilise your power of the car on a track, not on the expense of the safty of other road users!

(im aware of bad spelling)

Been done for speeding - driver identity - redviper
double post by mistake,

Edited by redlightzone on 16/09/2008 at 18:25

I should have said Fullchat not midlifecrisis. Sorry chaps, mistake.
>couldn't possibly remember the trillions of times I've done that but I can remember each >and every occasion in the last 25 years that I've driven at an indicated 115 or so in a 60 >zone.

>>>>>97 in a 60 limit (nice day and little traffic so no danger!!).

The OP seems to remember it quite clearly as well
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Big Bad Dave
"The OP seems to remember it quite clearly as well"

I rest my case. No further questions your honour.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - barney100
No chance of being let off, they will simply think you are pulling a fast one.
"It is probably safer at 100 mph than the average ford focus at 60 so in my opinion safety does not come into the argument. I have an accident free record, as does my wife.

Accident free doesn't wash with magistrates. Previous endorsements will. Seeing as you jump red lights as well, it'll be a matter of time before you biff your pride and joy. Wiping out the odd driver or pedestrian in the process. I hope with this attitude of yours, you get the book thrown at you to put you in your place.
"Dont forget that my car is a high perfornamce vehicle capable of out accelerating, out braking and out handling probably 95% of cars. It is probably safer at 100 mph than the average ford focus at 60 so in my opinion safety does not come into the argument. "

Possibly the best post ever, and tells all who read it all they need to know about the OP.

Do make sure you stand up in court with this line. The bench will have to let you off - they won't be able to do anything else as they'll be incapable of speech.
Do make sure you stand up in court with this line. they'll
be incapable of speech.

:o} tee hee
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Alanovich
The OP wants to drive at 100mph, and will come up with any argument to justify the behviour.

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

Fortunately for the rest of us, it looks like he'll be off the road for a little while unless he can weasel his way into blaming it on his wife. A gentleman and a scholar, so rare these days.
Been done for speeding - driver identity - Dipstick
"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"

Perhaps he drives a Porsche Boxer.

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Robin Reliant
I wonder how the highly skilled OP reacts when he is bombing along at 40 above the limit in his high-powered and safe performance car when a lesser mortal in a mere Focus gets in his way?

I have no doubt he slows down and patiently sits behind ;-)

No doubt when the OP acquired his high-powered, perfect handling vehicle, he also changed the laws of physics, thus ensuring that tricky matters such as KE=1/2MV squared do not apply to his little part of the universe.
R75 asked me if there was anything else he could help me with after explaining his FIL had put his wife's name in the frame as the driver.

But he also said >> We are now waiting for a date for the court case as she has been summoned for failure to provide details, and curiously, she has also been summoned for the speeding offence - I did not think they could summons for both as the first needs to be proved first. But we shall see what transpires. >>

If FIL has already provided details, what details has Mrs R75 failed to provide?

As for old jes, you can kinda see why beemers came up as one of the cars most likely to attract abuse.

Edited by Optimist on 16/09/2008 at 16:20

I like Woodbines' remedy... if they change the law so that if you "can't" remember who was driving then both of you get the punishment (split down the middle if necessary!) - I'm sure that would clarify people's minds!!
Ok, what do you think about this then? A colleague of mine heard a loud bang, opened his door and found his car's windscreen smashed with 3 chavs standing besides the car and laughing. He called the police but the plod said they can't do anything as he has not seen who had actually done this.

Why not lock all the 3 up in jail * so that it would jog their memory? Simple, they are not easy targets as motorists.

[* = if any vacancy exists and play station 3 available]

>
If FIL has already provided details what details has Mrs R75 failed to provide?

The drivers details as required under the S172. The FIL filled out the form in good faith, he did not know I was also driving the car that day, but, I have his permission to drive the car whenever I feel it is necessary just as he has permission to drive mine and my other halfs whenever he likes.

Once she got the S172 asking her if she was the driver at the time of the alleged offence or if not to name the person who was driving, this is where we then sought advice from the SCP (big, big mistake) and followed all the advice and guidance they gave on their website. But as we could not in all honestly fill in the S172 with the name of the driver she then gets a summons!!!!!
OK. I see.

Edited by Optimist on 16/09/2008 at 17:23

Been done for speeding - driver identity - MokkaMan
I find a worrying lack of personal responsibility in all this. Like it or not the law is the law and someone is responsible for breaking it (by quite a large margin) and someone should just put their hand up.
The differentiation with Tiff Needell may well transpire in the quality of legal advisor that can be afforded. It is unlikely that the local solicitor (I have always found them to be quite cautious individuals) will be quite as trained or quite as gung ho as Tiff Needell's solicitor in this specific aspect of the law.
I think the other aspect that is relevant is it really does not matter the quality of the car been driven or the quality of the driver (and we have quite a subjective opinion on this), it is the fact that there are other road users and the predictability of their actions can never be certain. I have been driving now for nearly thirty years and have had one accident (touch wood) which occurred early on through the odd driving of another car. Even now some drivers habits baffle me - I very nearly went into the back of a vehicle recently going round a three lane roundabout (with five exits) when the vehicle in front braked sharply and the driver waved out the vehicles who were correctly giving way to the right. I am sure that had I been driving faster that I would have contact and the fact that it would not really have been my fault would have been little consolation.

I say all this and drive a 530i
Sorry Jez, I hadn't realised what an amazing driver you are, if you had only pointed this out at the beginning we could have saved all this confusion.

You should have also mentioned that you were driving a Ferrari 530i at the time, everyone knows they are accident proof. Be sure to mention this in your defence.

Been done for speeding - driver identity - GroovyMucker
I'm still not convinced this isn't trolling.

But it's great, anyway.
R75, do the honourable thing and take a bullet for your marriage.

Or work out whose insurance will be most affected by the points on their licence and who is most likely to pick up points in the future.
RE R75 case.

I still cant get how someone can come on a forum asking for advice and then end up getting lectured, virtually accused of lying or trying to make capital / get off scot free from a motoring conviction. If it were me, I'd be pretty cheesed off and wish I hadnt bothered posting.

The law is faulty here. FULL STOP.

Its about getting someone,anyone to cough.

If you dole out two convictions to two drivers, that isnt punishment. An innocent has been found guilty. Thats not justice.

If you say, "well, the threat of two fines/sets of points would focus the mind a little." thats both patronising and plain wrong. Yes, some people lie - of course they do, but we know that R&% genuinely doesnt know who was driving. Theres a point of principle here that some people I believe are wilfully ignoring.

A good front facing digital still image is whats needed as evidence. The current rear photo we currently convict on is just plain half baked IMHO!
I thought the photo is to identify the car and date and time and location rather than driver.

R75 didn't come looking for advice: he's already a long way down his chosen road of action and regretting it, it seems. He came on to support jez who don't need no support 'cause he knows he's right.

Got to go now to take evensong before working on next Sunday's sermon.

Edited by Optimist on 16/09/2008 at 18:30

Bit harsh?

Why would he support Jez? Wouldnt have though he knew him? Besides he's probably just guilty of a little thread hi-jacking as its all about speed cameras and who's driving issues. Regretting it? He wants answers and is probably tired of the biased "guilty unless proven innocent " system for an occasion when he cant reply honestly to a legal question.

Let us know whats in the sermon wont you. Plank in your eye and all that.

He did support him by his own story of confusion.

I was thinking of something on the moral problem of taking responsibility for one's actions.

Bless you.
He did support him by his own story of confusion.

Well, I'm a bit more straight talking than that (modest too) I dont think he said, wayhay Jez way to go! I would have though it was a case of well, I have a story too.

I was thinking of something on the moral problem of taking responsibility for one's actions.

Yes, but its wrong to own up to something you didnt do. Thats lying and lyings a moral issue is it not?

This is going round in circles and just illustrates to my mind the flaws in the system. Fine, go ahead and say yes, it was me! I'll have the points! Yippee! But dont knock a fellow for being frustrated in the system and wondering if there is a way forward.
R75 didn't come looking for advice: he's already a long way down his chosen road
of action and regretting it it seems.

I most certainly am not regretting it one little bit, It has been a carefully considered decision to take it as far as we are doing. I have morals, I have dignity and I will not lie just for the sake of making the Courts or the SCP's life easier. If it can be decided which one of us was behind the wheel at the time then that person will happily hold their hands up and take the same punishments that would be offered to anyone else committing the same offence. It would also give the culprit the right to challenge the ticket or the accuracy of the camera should they so wish, neither of which is currently available to us.

>>He came on to support jez who don't
need no support 'cause he knows he's right.

No I didn't, I simply posted about my case which in it's basics is very much the same.
Got to go now to take evensong before working on next Sunday's sermon.

Don't forget your glasses :o)

Forgot to add, we are both very much aware that we could/probably will come out of this worse off by following this course of action. But I will be a happier person knowing that morally I have won.

Edited by R75 on 16/09/2008 at 19:44

The bit that would make me ask the mods delete this thread is any one who reads this could be a magistrate! You never know. So... your case comes in front of "me" and it's a BMW 530i, don't know the driver and I think oh I remember you on HonestJohn thinking 100mph in a 60mph zone is fine in a fast car!

I'd shut up and ask for legal counsell. I think one of the drivers will get a ban at those speeds - 47mph above a limit. If this was a motorway that would be 117mph and you're into the magistrates at 97mph on a motorway - I know.

Also to say you do not know who was doing 97mph in a 60 zone tells them you both drive at that speed. You're opening a can of worms there. You are both admitting you do drive at that speed at times therefore both guilty at some time before and not yet been caught.

Anyway to lighten this I'm just popping out to do 253mph in the Veyron on the A6. It'll out accelerate and outbrake anything else. Well not quite. To get to 253mph I will have to retract the wing and lower the car thus reducing the affect of the air brake. I'll be carefull.

Lucky some on there do not know where you live because they might send this thread to the magistrates in your defence!!! I would therefore ask mods to delete now.

Edit: and ask Google and other search engines to delete cached copies. I am serious about deleting this.

Edited by rtj70 on 16/09/2008 at 18:43

A couple of further points.

No one has to invent arguments for wanting to drive at 100. Lots of people do. It's part of what cars are all about. The fact that it isn't allowed at all on any road in this country may reassure some, but it annoys many.

It may be thought that 60% above the speed limit means dangerous driving. Not so actually. I know quite a lot of bits of 60-limited dual carriageway where bursts up to 100-plus can be perfectly safe given a decent car and awake driver. It is risky not physically but 'legally'.

One more thing: the mention of a high speed paints a picture of a car going at that speed through thick and thin. But actually if I were putting a temporary speed camera in place I would aim it at the spot where the press-on driver briefly hits the upper nineties for a moment. Because that's what people do on the road if they are drivers (rather than twelve-year-old joyriders doomed to an early death): drive to the conditions, speed going from below legal to above it and back all the time.

AE takes a severe line on failure to spot temporary speed cameras, but it can be difficult. Damn dangerous things they are too.

No one has to invent arguments for wanting to drive at 100. Lots of people
do. It's part of what cars are all about. The fact that it isn't allowed
at all on any road in this country may reassure some but it annoys many.

Of course LUd. I dont object if someone drives that fast. I have done it myself. I object however when they come on here whining about how unfair it all is that they got caught at nearly 100 and making up some cock and bull story about how it coul dbe him or the wife.

He knew it was fast, fair enough - but he was stupid He got caught.

AE takes a severe line on failure to spot temporary speed cameras but it can
be difficult. Damn dangerous things they are too.

Really? what do they do - Leap out in front of you in flocks?
No. They make fast mimsers react unpredictably. I bet they've caused deaths.
No. They make fast mimsers react unpredictably.

Then clearly they are unfit to drive at that speed and should be stopped.

>>I bet they've caused deaths.

I bet driving at 100mph in a 60mph limit has caused more.

Quite likely AE, wouldn't want to argue about that. But cameras aren't the way to stop bad driving. It should be done selectively and pointedly by plod in unmarked Q cars. The effect over a period of time would be better, I am convinced. The human touch (a heavy one when necessary) rather than the flash of a robot followed by the jobsworth's long French kiss...
I'm not criticising the OP for pressing on, most people have done it. I believe it's his attitude to getting done that has wound most people up.

You get caught and take your punishment, I know sections of A road where I would consider it safe to do 100mph, but it wouldn't make me any less guilty if a camera got me.
I'm still not convinced this isn't trolling. But it's great anyway.

:-) How much bait do you need to see before you get convinced?
I.M.O. Today's reply by jez530i added more bait to a heavily laden hook.
If this (iPod touch/iPhone unfriendly) long thread is a troll it's amusing to me. Emails sent to all magistrates... no only joking.

If this is serious thread I still think he has incriminated himself - both drivers drive at that speed often.
And the inability to use an apostrophe suggests the OP is guilty and needs reporting immediately. Guilty of such an offence!
Been done for speeding - driver identity - wjh2
What a painfully pathetic post this has become.

It seems pretty clear to me that Jez probably knows perfectly well that it was him driving, but thinks that if he argues the 'driver can not be determined' case, the whole thing is going to get dropped. Probably not going to happen. You are unlikely to find the legal loophole you are searching for here.

Furthermore, the 530i is not a high performance vehicle that can out-accelerate and out-handle 95% of other cars. The fact that this incident occurred on a straight bit of road makes this argument instantly redundant - my old Fiesta could do 97 on a straight road with enough room and without any corners you don't have much to worry about handling-wise.

How sad it is to see R75 grilled over his 36mph offence. It amuses me to see some of the users on this forum not help him out with a perfectly legitimate request but instead try desparately, DESPARATELY hard to try and find something that he IS guilty of.

It's threads like this that just kill driving for me.

Edited by wjh2 on 16/09/2008 at 19:52

Which is why with no more advise than to say "get a lawyer" because someone is likely to be banned it should be locked... mods.

Edited by rtj70 on 16/09/2008 at 19:55

Been done for speeding - driver identity - Pugugly
Agreed, locked. (sorry its taken time to catch up on reading this mega thread) on the grounds that the OP has received the advice he sought, so he can make a balanced and informed decision as to where it goes next.