02 2.0 hdi noisy engine after cambelt change - jenki
SORRY TO REWRITE THIS BUT MY TITLE BEFORE WAS CHANGED AUTOMATICALLY TO SOMETHING I WASNT ASKING!!!!

hi there just after a bit of advice,

I have just had my cambelt changed on my picasso, and the mechanic has advised i get the bottom crankshaft pullie (I think thats what he called it) changed asap as it is wearing out.
(I have noticed a slight rattle lately, but didnt know what it was, forgot 2 mention it when the car went in though, so they have found that themselves and told me)

The thing is the car went in before its cambelt changed and the engine ran quietly, but now it's back it's a lot noisier!!!! i was just wondering why this has happened? is it due to the bottom pullie needing changing or is is totally seperate? if so what could it be?

Any response would be grateful,

02 2.0 hdi Does it need a pully change ? - FP
The damped crankshaft pulley which drives the auxiliary belt is a known issue on this engine. On SWMBO's 306 HDi we were alerted to the problem by a lightish rattling audible only with the engine cold. If you can get a view of it, there is often the powder of disintegrating internal components visible around it (unless your mechanic has cleaned it off).

Your new cambelt should not be the cause of the noise you're now hearing, though you may hear a faint whirr from it.

It could be something else, but I think I'd take the mechanic's diagnosis pretty seriously. If your cambelt was changed at around the recommended 90K mileage it wouldn't be a surprise for the pulley to have failed, though some seem to go on without problems a lot longer and some (SWMBO's 306) fail a lot earlier; I seem to remember the pulley was redesigned at some point in this engine's history.

Best of luck with this one.

Edited by ChrisPeugeot on 02/03/2009 at 21:34

02 2.0 hdi Does it need a pully change ? - jenki
Thanks for your reply,

Yeah i am going to get the pulley changed asap, the car is on 72k, but with it being an 02 plate, i thought it was time to get the cambelt changed.

Your right the lightish rattle was only when the engine, or weather is cold, we cant see any powder due to there being a plastic tray underneath the car,

We can hear a faint whirr from the new cambelt too, is this normal and will it subside soon?

Im just a bit concerned how the car seems to be ticking over annd running louder than it was before, have you any idea what could have caused this, or if changing the pulley will stop it?

thanks for your advice

02 2.0 hdi Does it need a pully change ? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The bottom pulley will have been disturbed during the belt change. This may well have caused a further deterioration of the pulley (Harmonic Damper)
thanks, would this cause the engine to tick over and run louder though?
"...would this cause the engine to tick over and run louder though?"

The noise of a failing pulley isn't the same sound as the "knock" of a diesel engine at tick-over. However, on an engine with a failing pulley there is likely to be more noise in total.

While the engine is ticking over you could try using a rigid tube of some kind long enough to reach down near the pulley and put your ear to the other end. This may help you to hear any specific noise coming from the pulley itself.

But be VERY careful (a) to use a tube of sufficient length to prevent your face from getting near the engine (b) to keep the tube away from the moving auxiliary belt/pulley and (c) to ensure you have no tie or any other loose bits of clothing that could get caught by the belt.

Edited by ChrisPeugeot on 02/03/2009 at 23:25

Thanks again your being very helpful,

I may be opening a can of worms here, but if the louder running noise of the engine isnt connected to the cambelt being changed, what else could have been done to make it suddenly go louder? Im guessing the cambelt timing will be right, so that wont be the problem?
Im just really confused what could have caused my diesel car to sound like a "old diesel car" that ticks over and runs louder than new diesel engines, and how this can occour when only having the belt changed?

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks
Not sure it's that much of a can of worms. Your answer may be in Andrew Moorey's post: "The bottom pulley will have been disturbed during the belt change. This may well have caused a further deterioration of the pulley (Harmonic Damper)". Maybe that's what your'e hearing - more noise from the pulley.

Surely the route to go is to get the pulley changed and then see what the situation is. If there's still excessive noise, it's a different issue.

BTW, I'd be quite interested to know what the outcome of this is - please let us know.
hi,

just to let you know, i have has the pulley changed, and the engine sounds normal again!!!! :-) only picked the car up tea time tho so havent been anywhere in it yet, but there is definatley a difference in sound.

i will give it a run in soon an keep you informed on how it goes, thank you for all your advice, been very helpful.

Really pleased your motor seems back to normal again.
02 2.0 hdi Does it need a pully change ? - Andrew-T
Had my 1999T 306 HDi pulley done last year at about 65K, which cured the incipient noise. Pulley cost £170 though.
02 2.0 hdi Does it need a pully change ? - ianjoh
Try gsf as a cheaper supplier at about £90, i am about fit my 3rd at 172k miles as there is a distinct clatter at tickover and some dust around the pulley.