Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - UncleBlobby

Like most people I know I was hanging on to my 10 year old diesel KIA as long as possible having heard how bad the UK car market is today. Sadly someone driving on wrong side of road hit me head on writing the car off and nearly killing me just before Christmas. 4 months and a lot of hospital time later I've received 3K for my old car from the insurers and need to replace it as it was written off. I've had terrible issues with second hand cars in the past and have bought ex demo cars from dealerships to avoid this for the last 20 years with success. However, I visited a few of the cheaper local dealers (Kia, Skoda, Ford) and the prices of new or nearly new budget cars is now insane (30-40k new, not much cheaper for ex demos). All dealers try and push EVs, I don't want an EV. Or they try and push hybrids, see EVs. Most dealers no longer even know the actual price of their cars and instead quote monthly payments under PCP deals that benefit only the dealer not the buyer. Most dealers I visited were empty of customers as a result. I'm desperate for a new car living in a village with no public transport and I need it for work. But it's been so disheartening I've given up trying. My wife and I both work full time on professional salaries and we cant even afford a budget brand, How other people manage I've no idea?

I'd welcome recommendations for any dealer or car make that was different? By different I mean doesn't push what customers don't want, doesn't only offer good deals to PCP customers and welcomes someone who can afford to pay cash by offering them good deals on diesel/petrol cars.

I'm looking for a reliable estate, certainly not an electric and preferably not hybrid, budget is about 15k.

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - RT

It'll help to give contributors an idea of where you live - not the street and number but town would be useful.

Apologies, I live near Preston, Lancashire. I asked my local repair garage for recommendations and their honest advice was "Don't buy a car from anywhere round here, they are all crooks".

So I'm willing to travel. I looked at Motorpoint, Burnley but they lack Estates and its a dice roll with any second hand dealers. If I can't afford new I'd prefer to reduce risk by buying approved dealer cars. But I'm looking for a dealer that wants to sell what customers want not what they want to sell them. As far as I can tell the only reason anyone buys cars from dealers now is for PCP deals. But I don't want a second mortgage.

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Adampr

I was recently looking for a new car and visited a combination of independent dealers, franchises and car supermarkets. Like you, I tend to buy from franchised dealers where the quality of stock is better.

I would recommend avoiding car supermarkets. They work on tiny margins and all of their profit is in finance, extended warranties etc. They will desperately try to sell you things you don't want.

Unless you know of a good one, I would also avoid independent dealers. Most buy their cars from auction and know nothing about them. They have a bad reputation, but many are generally honest, they just don't know what they're selling.

That leaves you with the franchises again. They vary massively but, by and large, the more prestigious the brand, the more irritating the dealer.

What I found was that a franchise dealer in a rural area that is not part of a bigger group seems to be the most relaxed. The dowdier or more farmer-y the cars, the less annoying the sales people.

I had a genuinely enjoyable time at a Subaru dealer in a small market town, and a perfectly pleasant experience at a Suzuki dealer in a small City. A Suzuki dealer that was part of a large local group, though, was the very typical dealer experience.

So three things to look out for:

1. Not a glamorous brand

2. Not part of a group

3. Preferably a rural location

In your position, I would be looking for a good dealer before deciding what car to buy.

Looking at my own criteria, I would suggest three possible dealers. Bear.in mind I know nothing about any of them:

RM Fisher (Lancaster)

J&A Rigbye (Chorley)

Accrington Garages (Accrington).

I would also note that Swansway Honda in Bolton have a nice looking Civic Tourer. They will be all pointy shoes and coffee machines, but it might be worth it for the car.

I suppose the other option is Cinch. There's a Kia Proceed there, a Mazda 6 and a few Toyota Aurises. I know you said no hybrids, but a Toyota Hybrid is as reliable and long-lived as any other car, so what difference would it make?

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Engineer Andy

I suppose the other option is Cinch. There's a Kia Proceed there, a Mazda 6 and a few Toyota Aurises. I know you said no hybrids, but a Toyota Hybrid is as reliable and long-lived as any other car, so what difference would it make?

Is the later Auris affected by the CAT theft susceptibility (and thus huge bumps in insurance premiums) like the early 1st Honda Jazz, or was that the previous gen car?

Maybe its stablemate (and as SLO will know, an efficient, highly reliable, long-lived car) the Avensis estate to add too?

I'm also wondering if buying from ordinary people or well-cared for PXes - especially retired types giving up driving or buying their 'last car' (in that regard) might do?

My local KIA dealer currently has (now reserved at £500 off the original listed price) a 2015 BMW 220i AT (TC auto) Luxury (only 25k on the clock and in excellent condition from the photos) going for £12.25k, only doing a few 1000 miles a year. Obviously not the car or engine type (though not that bad if you don't floor it) the OP wants, but condition and price-wise (nothing near an MOT failure either), not bad at all.

Note also they are offering it (and some others) with a 12 month warranty rather than (presumably) just a 3 month one, presumably because it has a full dealership service history, no bodyshell corrosion or MOT failures, and perhaps a low mileage.

They admittedly do have some not-so-good PXes (including one very high spec Range Rover they cannot get rid of despite significantly lowering the price), but sometimes the previous owner of a car just needs a complete change (or can afford it), even if their old car is still in great shape.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 06/05/2024 at 15:32

Thanks. Must admit I'd discounted Seats as my knowledge of them is Seat Leons being the favourite of boy racers, which makes me assume high insurance.

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - SLO76
This looks good value.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404118545132
This looks good value. www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404118545132

Wouldn't the dealership rather suggest the opposite.experience to what the OP is after?

“Wouldn't the dealership rather suggest the opposite.experience to what the OP is after?”

I didn’t want a never ending PCP or lease payment either nor a hugely overpriced new car that’ll half in value in less than two years. Buy used and politely tell the dealer you’re not interested in all the add on profit making garbage. I just bought a car from a dealer outright and managed to resist all the wonderful “special offers” such as their insanely overpriced service plan at £45 a month.. I took the car and the years manufacturer warranty it came with and paid book money for it.

Took 6mths to sift through all the neglected, clocked and abused c*** that’s out there though. At this money though private sales are rare and too restricted, dealers hold 99.9% of the stock. That’s not to say a wee bargain won’t pop up, I’d always keep an eye out for one, but few people sell cars at £15k privately today as buying services akin to WBAC and large dealers offer strong money for retailable cars which removes the hassle and risk of selling from the driveway. Much of the private sale stock is either overpriced or written off metal that dealers won’t touch.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/05/2024 at 08:31

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Andrew-T

If all the traders are crooks, are there any private sellers in your neighbourhood ? £15k may be a bit high for a private sale, but worth a look ?

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - FiestaOwner

How about a Škoda Scala? You can get a 23reg (10 months old) approved used from a Škoda dealer for your budget.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403187701393

How about this? It’s an approved used car from a local main dealer and under warranty until 2028. Generally good cars these, but depreciation is heavy so long term ownership is the best option to get value. Make sure it has a full Kia service record or that lovely warranty is worthless.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202405019270419

The Suzuki Vitara is another worthy long term prospect. This is essentially new and although it’s a hybrid it’s only a mild hybrid so you won’t even notice anything beyond a bit more pep and slightly better economy. These don’t really go wrong.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404299168431

I was looking at these recently. They’re fantastically reliable, very good on fuel, smooth and relaxing to drive and extremely popular with taxi fleets so resale is a doddle and at strong money. Hybrid again but no concerns with reliability at all.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404309209185

I rate the Skoda Octavia too. This looks good value, but check that warranty has a decent claims limit or it’s worthless. Nice to drive, lots of room and very decent on fuel.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403067267928

Edited by SLO76 on 05/05/2024 at 21:29

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Heidfirst

I'm looking for a reliable estate, certainly not an electric and preferably not hybrid, budget is about 15k.

How big an estate & how old/what mileage is acceptable?

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Terry W

If your budget and expectations run to something a year or two old, I would be less concerned with the vendor and more concerned that the service history is up to date, apparent absence of accident damage, and that the full manufacturers warranty is still valid.

Any faults arising during the warranty period should get fixed FOC. If Kia, Hyundai etc warranty may last 5 or more years.

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Heidfirst

If your budget and expectations run to something a year or two old, I would be less concerned with the vendor and more concerned that the service history is up to date, apparent absence of accident damage, and that the full manufacturers warranty is still valid.

Any faults arising during the warranty period should get fixed FOC. If Kia, Hyundai etc warranty may last 5 or more years.

& Toyota is up to 10 years/100,000 miles (subject to annual/10k dealer servicing outside the initial 3 year/60k warranty.)

& Toyota is up to 10 years/100,000 miles (subject to annual/10k dealer servicing outside the initial 3 year/60k warranty.)

Suzuki also seem to be doing some kind of seven year warranty, but it's a bit confusing!

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Steveieb

Maybe best to restrict your search to somewhere fairly local as my friend has found when he bought a high end car on the South Coast as we live in the South midlands. Taking it back for a warranty claim involved an overnight stay and two days travelling etc.

There can be complications when you allow a third party garage to carry out repairs under warranty !

Maybe best to restrict your search to somewhere fairly local as my friend has found when he bought a high end car on the South Coast as we live in the South midlands. Taking it back for a warranty claim involved an overnight stay and two days travelling etc.

There can be complications when you allow a third party garage to carry out repairs under warranty !

Get something approved used with a manufacturer warranty and you should be able to claim at any garage with the same franchise.
Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - catsdad

Re Adam’s comment Suzuki have a standard three year from new warranty. However if has a fsh from a Suzuki dealer this can be extended each year if you have a Suzuki franchise service until it’s 7 years old. This is service activated warranty.

The only confusion I am aware of is that not every Suzuki dealer takes part. I don’t know why they wouldn’t but some don’t.

Edited by catsdad on 06/05/2024 at 15:42

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Engineer Andy

Re Adam’s comment Suzuki have a standard three year from new warranty. However if has a fsh from a Suzuki dealer this can be extended each year if you have a Suzuki franchise service until it’s 7 years old. This is service activated warranty.

The only confusion I am aware of is that not every Suzuki dealer takes part. I don’t know why they wouldn’t but some don’t.

I wonder if they do that sort of thing - for possibly a longer period (10 years, maybe) for the current Toyota Corolla clone (aside from the sant nav phone pairing / iCE system, it appears), the Suzuki Swace? Hardly a cheap car to buy, even second hand, but likely highly reliable in the long term and reasonable decent (and a comfortable ride) to drive.

Thanks for all the advice. Still no progress. Thought I'd found a good option with a Kia pre-reg Ceed estate, 12 miles on the clock available from a local dealership but above our budget. However the dealers will not even come down £1 on the list price! Is this normal now? Whenever I've bought cars previously you never paid the asking price, like buying a house. Has that changed? As I said in my first post it does seem very much a sellers market now but I'm amazed they won't shift at all. They have a few very low mileage "ex demo" cars but I see on here people saying not to buy very low mileage cars as they've often done lots of short journeys. What are people's thoughts on this?

The clutch went on my previous Kia went after just a few thousand miles. Took it back to the dealers and they pointed out that on page 7, paragraph 4 it states that clutches are not covered. To be fair to the dealership they did replace it for me in the end, but after lengthy discussion. Warranties often seem to exclude everything likely to realistically fail in the period they cover in the small print.

As regards the likes of Autotrader/cinch and other second hand market sellers, as stated above I've had terrible luck with these in past. Reading the incredible depth of knowledge in here and the many many pitfalls for the naive buyer like myself, I realise you really have to know your stuff not to get sold a pup and its not down to luck but knowledge. I really don't know enough and the sellers can tell.

I may revisit the Toyota Corolla hybrid. The Skoda Skala looked too small for our needs as a family car. The Toyota dealership put me off again as, just as they did ten years ago, they wanted to argue about why hybrids were superior rather than sell what the customers want.

Motorpoint Burney is one place I'm considering. Has anyone any experience of them?

You have to know your stuff AND be lucky to get a good one. However, you don't need to be a mechanic; there are plenty of very simple checklists you can download if you want to give a car a thorough inspection.

Autotrader and Cinch are very different animals. Autotrader allows anyone to sell anything; Cinch are selling the cars themselves. They are generally ex-fleet cars with decent history and they have a decent reputation. Ultimately, it's a car supermarket but online.

Talking of car supermarkets, Motorpoint have a good reputation but all car supermarkets have perhaps been pushed out by Cinch and don't seem to have the best stock anymore. As I said before, I'd avoid them if you don't like pressure; selling you finance and warranties is how they make their money.

In fairness to your Toyota dealer, they're probably right and a hybrid would be better. As I also mentioned before, try a more rural standalone dealership.

They may have a point, but I dislike car salesmen (it usually is men) who want to argue with you about what they do for a living (and therefore know a lot more than you about) rather than sell what you want. A lot of my problem is simply not finding a salesperson I like and trust. It makes an amazing difference to me. I bought a Kia last time because he was the only saleperson I liked and trusted out of all the dealerships I visited. Sadly he no longer seems to work there and the only salesperson I've really been impressed with this time was a lady in Volvo, but they are sadly too pricey by a long shot.

Your advice about a standalone dealership is good thanks. Hopefully they'll be less carsalesmen like in a place like that. It always amazes me they aren't better. I won't say which specific garage but Ford were the worst 10-years ago and hadn't really changed when I visited recently. They actually seemed reluctant to sell me a car, like they were doing me a favour, which is a shame as the Ford Focus Estate ticks a lot of boxes.

Thanks again for the advice.

I do sympathise. Having gone through the process a few times recently, I am always similarly at a loss as to what sales people think they're doing. Of the many dealers I visited, there were only two or three that I was willing to do business with.

There are a few things I noticed as a pattern for the worst ones:

1. Arranging to send you a personalised video

2. Asking if you want to pay a £99 deposit to hold the car before viewing

3. Making you sit at a desk and do 'compliance' stuff for finance before they'll let you look at the car.

4. Showroom hosts

5. Fat angry men in side offices with white boards.

I do sympathise. Having gone through the process a few times recently, I am always similarly at a loss as to what sales people think they're doing. Of the many dealers I visited, there were only two or three that I was willing to do business with.

There are a few things I noticed as a pattern for the worst ones:

1. Arranging to send you a personalised video

2. Asking if you want to pay a £99 deposit to hold the car before viewing

3. Making you sit at a desk and do 'compliance' stuff for finance before they'll let you look at the car.

4. Showroom hosts

5. Fat angry men in side offices with white boards.

That made me laugh, thanks. The reason I kept my previous car for ten years wasn't financial reasons, but how much I hate the process of buying a car in the UK. I'm not alone in this and I don't understand why people tolerate this Swiss Tony culture nor why multinational car companies think that is the best way to sell cars. If just one dealership opened that didn't act this way, was 100% honest, priced cars as cheaply as possible (like virtually any other product except houses but then Estate Agents are a seperate rant) they'd make an absolute fortune. They must exist somewhere.

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - galileo

That made me laugh, thanks. The reason I kept my previous car for ten years wasn't financial reasons, but how much I hate the process of buying a car in the UK. I'm not alone in this and I don't understand why people tolerate this Swiss Tony culture nor why multinational car companies think that is the best way to sell cars. If just one dealership opened that didn't act this way, was 100% honest, priced cars as cheaply as possible (like virtually any other product except houses but then Estate Agents are a separate rant) they'd make an absolute fortune. They must exist somewhere.

They do, in West Yorkshire, but not selling NEW cars from glass palaces.

A lot of my problem is simply not finding a salesperson I like and trust. It makes an amazing difference to me.

I'm afraid you have to get over this little difficulty. I agree that it is nice to deal with someone you 'like and trust', but you are only doing a business deal when that is not really essential. It would be quite possible to get a better deal from a less likeable person than a nice one. Just talk about the car(s) and try to ignore the personal traits of the salesman ! Unless he/she is really unpleasant of course.

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - madf

When I bought our Jazz 12 years ago, I had to listen to a sales spiel for supertreating upholstery, etc etc etc. I just mentally ignored it all and refused to budge..

I treat sales people as a necessary evil: polite but firm .

Glad I don't bu cars often.

Fair point about not having to like them, but I have to trust them to risk what is the second biggest financial spend after buying a house. Call me old fashioned, but once a sales person is exposed as having lied to me, that's it for me, the trust has gone and I walk away.

They will ALL lie to you. The scale of the lie varies, but not a single one will tell.you the truth.

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Catfood

Ah car salesman…I hate them with passion…..

I walked in to see Skoda Fabia few months ago. The car was advertised for £8299. However, the price on the windscreen was £8699 when I went to see the car in their forecourt. The salesman said, the website price is wrong and it is £8699 plus VED and £20 Petrol….and he started to talk about additional extended warranty…..I challenged him saying that Skoda UK website clearly stated the every Skoda Approved Used car comes with 1 year warranty and 1 year road assistance, VED included. He kept saying that’s not the case for the car I’m interested. I asked him about £20 petrol charge….

Me: I’m not paying £20 petrol charge.

Sales: Oh every car comes with empty tank so we have to charge customer £20 and we fill some petrol in….

Me: Don’t bother. There’s Shell 500m down the road from here.

Sales: I don’t think you can’t get there….

Me: I can bring jelly can with me then…

Sales: You can’t bring in petrol in our premise for Health & Safety Reason.

Me: That’s fine. I’ll do it outside in the street.

Sales:…..

It’s the same story when I went to see Honda Jazz…..I clearly told him I’m only interested in 1.3 Petrol, Manual and Silver/Grey post 18/68 reg, and less than £12k. Every day he called me if I’m interested in Red car or Automatic etc….

I just don’t know how to deal with these people…If the salesperson is playing the fool or genuinely fool. Should I play the game ? To be honest, I really can’t be bothered…

Imagine if just one didn't lie? Imagine how incredibly successful that salesroom would be? The reason this happens is we tolerate it, we just shrug our shoulders and accept it as normal. I've walked away, I'm not encouraging this. I'd rather be without a car than lied to and ripped off. Come on entrepreneurs, there's an enormous opportunity here. I've now got 20k to spend and literally can't find an honest dealer to spend it at. I really just don't get this mentality of this is the way it is, deal with it. Its this way because of we accept it and still give them our hard earned cash. Don't.

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - alan1302

Imagine if just one didn't lie? Imagine how incredibly successful that salesroom would be? The reason this happens is we tolerate it, we just shrug our shoulders and accept it as normal. I've walked away, I'm not encouraging this. I'd rather be without a car than lied to and ripped off. Come on entrepreneurs, there's an enormous opportunity here. I've now got 20k to spend and literally can't find an honest dealer to spend it at. I really just don't get this mentality of this is the way it is, deal with it. Its this way because of we accept it and still give them our hard earned cash. Don't.

What sort of lies are you getting from them? if I want a car I simply go to the deal say I want that car and buy it. There is no pint where they can lie to me as I don't ask them any questions.

Only because we tolerate that and still give them out money.

As an ex salesman myself I believe I have a good insight into the people in the trade… they are 99.99% lying b******s!

I left because I hated the way things were going, the old school salesmen of old who knew about cars were being replaced by younger greedier types who were trained to push push push financial products on you. To tell you anything to get a sale in the bag. The worst I find are almost kids who know absolutely nothing about cars beyond setting up the tech inside. They’re not interested in you or a bit of car chat. I love cars, but I hate shopping for them at dealers. Standards have slipped hugely over the last 25/30 years. Agree totally about needing to like the person you’re buying from.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/05/2024 at 20:23

... the old school salesmen of old who knew about cars were being replaced by younger greedier types .... Standards have slipped hugely over the last 25/30 years.

Maybe I am just years out of date - I haven't bought from a car salesperson since December 2008. That was at a Peugeot dealer which had been a family business for over a century, and I think it may still be.

Everyone I know and work with is similar. They now hang on to their cars as long as possible to avoid the UK car market. There's millions out there not being spent. As I've been saying for 20 years a dealership that was different would clean up. But then you come across that weird UK mindset that accepts this as the normal and anyone who dislikes it as being idealistic and difficult. We get what we deserve.

As I've been saying for 20 years a dealership that was different would clean up.

But maybe the situation you describe proves that to be a business model that doesn't work ? Or possibly that someone working by it finds it more profitable to abandon it ? Or (just possibly, I suppose) anyone doing that is 'got at' by all the crooked competitors ? :-)

Advice on replacing my car in UK - sellers market? - Big John

Thanks for all the advice. Still no progress. Thought I'd found a good option with a Kia pre-reg Ceed estate, 12 miles on the clock available from a local dealership but above our budget. However the dealers will not even come down £1 on the list price! Is this normal now?

NO - a year ago yes, not now though things are moving on. Nearly new bargains are appearing.

Edited by Big John on 16/05/2024 at 21:33