Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - TouCX-5

Afternoon all!

Wondering if I can get your perspective on buying a crossover SUV.

I've settled on two cars based on the availability near me (Ireland) and pricing. A 2020 Toucson (1.6 diesel) and a 2018/2019 Maxda CX-5 (2l petrol, heard nightmares about their diesels)

I can get them for roughly the same price, Maza tends to have higher mileage due to age difference.

Can anyone recommend what they would choose and why as I'm looking to buy very soon? Thanks!

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - badbusdriver

Tuscon isn't a bad car, but I'd be wary of most modern DPF equipped diesels due to expensive problems waiting in the wings if used mainly for shorter journeys. As such, CX-5 for me, no question.

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - Orb>>

Mazda all the way. Is it the Skyactive?

Mazda all the way. Is it the Skyactive?

I think they all come under Skyactive ORB, that was just an umbrella term (supposedly) covering performance, efficiency and feel.

If you mean the Skactive X engine, I don't think you get that in the CX-5

To be honest, it's Ireland so our models are pretty basic compared to what you lads get.

So if we're just comparing base models it's easier! I've also been recommended the Nissan X-Trail but unsure if I want to bring that into the mix.

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - Adampr

To be honest, it's Ireland so our models are pretty basic compared to what you lads get.

So if we're just comparing base models it's easier! I've also been recommended the Nissan X-Trail but unsure if I want to bring that into the mix.

Is that what happens in Ireland? I rented a Renault Kadjar from Dublin airport once and couldn't believe how basic.it was. I keep telling people how bad they are.

As for your question, the Mazda petrol will be better than the Hyundai diesel. I would never buy a Tucson because nobody can spell it or say it.

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - FP

"I would never buy a Tucson because nobody can spell it or say it."

I believe it's "Too-son".

The one I struggle with is Hyundai. Apparently some people say "Hundi".

And don't get me started on "Jag-war".

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - Orb>>

Try saying SSangyong after a beer or two..

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - Steveieb

Or the new pronunciation of Skoda and Dacia !

I would never buy a Tucson because nobody can spell it or say it.

With Tuscon being a Spanish word, I would suggest most Spanish speakers (not to mention the half million or so who live in Tuscon Arizona) would know how to both say and spell it!

The one I struggle with is Hyundai. Apparently some people say "Hundi".

Hun-di is close to the correct pronunciation, which is with two syllables. But the y isn't silent, so it should be Hyun-di. I always used to say it with three syllables, Hy-un-dai. I also learned recently that Americans have been pronouncing Nissan correctly all along with Nee-san. But it probably shouldn't be too much of a surprise that they are the ones pronouncing Hyundai and Nissan correctly given how many more Korean and Japanese live there than in the UK.

And don't get me started on "Jag-war".

Jag is a different kettle of fish because it is a British name and we are just irritated by how Americans pronounce it.

Or the new pronunciation of Skoda and Dacia !

These aren't new pronunciations, they are the correct ones. But for Skoda, just pretend you are Sean Connery!

But with the exception of Jaguar, these are all foreign language words. So while (IMO) we should be pronouncing (or trying to) them correctly anyway, this is especially so for anyone irritated by hearing an American say Jaguar!

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - Metropolis.
I spent years thinking it was Tuscon!
Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - Engineer Andy
I spent years thinking it was Tuscon!

Don't worry - you weren't the only one! One's a bad spelling of foods coming from a region of Italy, the other (the actual car) a city in Arizona. :-)

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - mcb100
‘ Jag is a different kettle of fish because it is a British name and we are just irritated by how Americans pronounce it.’

Not really - a Jaguar is a large cat that’s indigenous to South America. They named it, we pinched the word for a brand of car.
Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - elekie&a/c doctor
I thought it was pronounced Hi and Dry . Because this is how the dealers left their customers when the cars couldn’t be fixed .

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - Engineer Andy
I thought it was pronounced Hi and Dry . Because this is how the dealers left their customers when the cars couldn’t be fixed .

For some reason the 'local' (Korean) pronunciation -Huun-Dae (or Huun-Day depending on you pov) - was suddenly 'adopted' in their British adverts a few years ago, possibly after James May (I think) started to take the pee out of it like he did with Day-se-ah or, as the ads now call it, Dat-cha.

Still, my own car, a Mazda, is apparently locally pronounced as Mass-a-Dah.

‘ Jag is a different kettle of fish because it is a British name and we are just irritated by how Americans pronounce it.’ Not really - a Jaguar is a large cat that’s indigenous to South America. They named it, we pinched the word for a brand of car.

Well I was thinking more about the car than the big cat, but its a valid point!. Trouble is, the name in reference to the big cat (probably) came from an indigenous language via Spanish conquerers. So it may not be feasible to find out the correct pronunciation for it?

Toucson CX-5 - 2020 Toucson vs 2018/2019 Maza CX-5 - Metropolis.
Is hopping over the border to NI and buying there an option?

It used to be worth it but they changed it in 2021 and now it costs so much more.

Example here: www.vrt.ie/importing-car-uk-ireland-cost-calculato.../

If I bought a car up north for £13700, I'd have to pay about £9,341 in taxes when I bring it down here & register it, meaning it would cost me £23,041 total.

To the rest of yis, TUCSON TUCSON TUSCON. I got it :D

Edited by TouCX-5 on 05/04/2024 at 22:17

Apologies for the thread drift

It used to be worth it but they changed it in 2021 and now it costs so much more.

Example here: www.vrt.ie/importing-car-uk-ireland-cost-calculato.../

If I bought a car up north for £13700, I'd have to pay about £9,341 in taxes when I bring it down here & register it, meaning it would cost me £23,041 total.

Yikes, that's a heck of a bill!

I wasn't aware of Irish cars being basic in terms of equipment, but tbh it wouldn't bother me too much. I do enjoy cruise control and use it a lot, but could manage without it and most of the other stuff cars are festooned with these days. Less to go wrong!

Stick with the CX-5 though, its all good.

Haha, no bother.

So to cap this all off - I went for the Tucson.

I've got a kiddo on the way very shortly and this morning prior to leaving for the car dealer, I was looking up the CX-5 with a toddler. The amount of negative reviews around the CX-5, room for a rear-facing child seat and even putting a big buggy in the boot.

Anyway, I went down undeterred and took a look at the CX-5. Sitting in the front was fine, car was great but for rear passengers, it seems so, so cramped. And when we positioned the front passenger seat to where it would be if we had a car seat it was, not good.

Following that we went down to the Hyundai dealership and hopped into a 2019 Tucson. Absolute world of difference. Felt far roomier and the boot space also felt bigger. Took it for a spin and felt solid.

I take it the Mazda is the better driver but for my situation, I need to accept my fun driving days are over for the next few years:D

I got a 2 year warranty with it as well so, fingers crossed it all goes well!