Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - mcb100
A large part of the attraction to driving an EV is the effortless way one can get down the road.
Now Toyota want to make it more difficult -

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-manual-...s

Edited by mcb100 on 29/10/2023 at 14:37

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - badbusdriver

Surely the most baffling thing about this is the decision to use the engine sound from a Golf GTI rather than from Toyota's own extensive back catalogue of ICE's?!?!

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - Metropolis.

EVs, regardless of speed, have as much soul as white goods. Nobody misses their last washing machine or even their last iphone. At least Toyota are trying.

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - badbusdriver

Nobody misses their last washing machine or even their last iphone.

Maybe, but I do miss my Scalextric.

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - SLO76
There’s a lot of motoring enthusiasts who want to actually drive a car. They want a slick manual gearbox to play with and they want to feel what’s going on through the front wheels, they want to be part of the process. A completely numb electric car simply doesn’t appeal to those who love driving just for the pleasure of it, they’re white goods, a machine that fulfils a purpose nothing more.

My perfect garage would include a long range EV to smooth away 90% of my motoring needs, but for that other 10%, when I want to stir the blood and work a car down an empty twisting Scottish B road, I want a small lightweight hot/mild hatch (like a VW UP! GTi) or a two seater sports car that’s not overly endowed with power (it corrupts after all) such as a Mazda MX5, a normally aspirated Toyota engined Lotus Elise or perhaps a Toyota GT86.

It’s been a long time since I actually enjoyed driving a car or seen one I really really wanted. The passion, fun and desire left the motor trade years ago, it died when cars became rented appliances rather than something people truly love, even the few I mention above are desensitised by electric power steering which robs the feel from your hands. The peak for the motorcar was the 1990’s as far as I’m concerned. There are almost no small and affordable mild/hot hatches today, instead hot hatches are ludicrously overpriced and over-engined monsters like AMG A series and Type R Civic that are unaffordable to ordinary people.

Give me a mint Peugeot 106/205/306 GTi, Citroen AX GT, Renault Clio 16v/19 16v, Mk I Mazda MX5, Ford Puma, Ford Focus Mk I etc etc any day. All were a joy to drive in a way you simply don’t get from todays rented white goods.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/10/2023 at 16:28

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - Engineer Andy

One of the reasons why I loved cars from the late90s and especially the early 2000s - 2010: many great to look at and drive, with some really special ones, but above all so many affordable due to years of oversupply.

Even though I've really liked my (not exactly nippy, just fine) 1.6 petrol Mazda3 I bought (essentially) new for £10k in 2006, I occasionally kick myself for not paying £16k for a 3dr Civic Type R - new at the same time.

Less than half what you'd pay for a current one, which admitedly is much more powerful and quicker, but on actual roads (not a track), the difference would be nowhere near as great.

Even an S2000, many of which look and seeimngly go as good today as they did back then. Admietdly only a weekend / retirement car, but still.

More recently (2016-2017) I almost replaced my Mazda with either the Seat Leon SC FR or sister car the Golf 3dr GT in 1.4 TSI 150PS (ACT) form, both of which had a similar look to the 2005 Civic Type R but with a bit more compliant ride for normal everyday use.

Sadly no discounts on them (3dr versions), thought I could've easily got a 5dr of either for around £17k at Motorpoint when there was a brief period of oversupply again. Wasn't to be though. Oh well.

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - expat
There’s a lot of motoring enthusiasts who want to actually drive a car. They want a slick manual gearbox to play with and they want to feel what’s going on through the front wheels,

Lots of motoring enthusiasts said things like that and Kia listened. They produced the Stinger for those guys and it flopped. The enthusiasts all said it was great but they bought SUVs not Stingers. It is a pity but people buy cars with their head not their heart.

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - SLO76
“ Lots of motoring enthusiasts said things like that and Kia listened. They produced the Stinger for those guys and it flopped. The enthusiasts all said it was great but they bought SUVs not Stingers. It is a pity but people buy cars with their head not their heart.”

The stinger wasn’t designed for the UK market, it’s a large thirsty petrol saloon that’s costly to run and tax. It was never going to sell in big numbers here, unlike most hot hatches which did until prices got out of hand. Shame though, it’s an interesting big thing, I’d love a shot in one, especially the V6.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/10/2023 at 06:34

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - Heidfirst
I want a small lightweight hot/mild hatch (like a VW UP! GTi) or a two seater sports car that’s not overly endowed with power (it corrupts after all) such as a Mazda MX5, a normally aspirated Toyota engined Lotus Elise or perhaps a Toyota GT86. I

Sadly, the annual global sales figures for both the MX5 & GT86/BRZ combined together would probably be under ~70k even in their best years. The business case for their future replacement models can't be great unless you ascribe a high value to their halo effect formarketing.

For comparison Toyota sold over 1 million RAV4s last year & typically looks for 85k-100k sales per annum as the minimum level for a mainstream model.

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - Sofa Spud

Why not introduce a 'non-synchro' function on this Toyota, so you need to double de-clutch on all gear changes, whether up or down? There could be simulated crunching noises accompanied by vibration for when you 'miss' a gear. There could also be a simulation to 'advance' or 'retard' the non-existent ignition. The ultimate gadget would be a dummy starting handle that you need to put some effort into before the EV will switch on!

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - Chris M

"The ultimate gadget would be a dummy starting handle that you need to put some effort into before the EV will switch on!"

Or even someone walking in front looking for a working charging station ;)

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - Sofa Spud

"The ultimate gadget would be a dummy starting handle that you need to put some effort into before the EV will switch on!"

Or even someone walking in front looking for a working charging station ;)

In fact the starting handle could be connected to a generator that charges the battery. So if you spend an evening turning the handle you might add a mile or two of free motoring.

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - Adampr

They should include a simulated choke where you have to pull a knob to a random position and see if:

1. The car starts

2. The car fails to start

3. The car fails to start, stinks and you have to wait 20 minutes before trying again.

Come on, Toyota, we motorists demand the genuine experience not this modern sanitised nonsense.

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - Terry W

Nostalgia is wonderful. I'm sure folk are champing at the bit for:

• TV limited to just 4 channels fully equipped with 425 lines
  • forget satnav - buy paper maps
  • smartphones are for wimps - bring back phone boxes complete with vomit aroma
  • coal scuttles not central heating
  • the endless noise of engines churning without catching on a cold mornings
  • servicing every 3000 miles
  • if the car fails to start catch a bus - enjoy secondary smoking

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - bathtub tom
smartphones are for wimps - bring back phone boxes complete with vomit aroma

That's not the yellow liquid I recall sloshing around on the floor!

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - Metropolis.

Nostalgia is wonderful. I'm sure folk are champing at the bit for:

• TV limited to just 4 channels fully equipped with 425 lines
  • forget satnav - buy paper maps
  • smartphones are for wimps - bring back phone boxes complete with vomit aroma
  • coal scuttles not central heating
  • the endless noise of engines churning without catching on a cold mornings
  • servicing every 3000 miles
  • if the car fails to start catch a bus - enjoy secondary smoking

I must admit I wouldn’t say no to a 4 speed auto gearbox + lock up overdrive. I know it is less efficient but I prefer how it drives vs the staccato-tronic 8/9/10 speeds.

Edited by Metropolis. on 31/10/2023 at 13:52

Toyota Any - Early April Fools? - nailit

:-)

Great thread, really enjoyed the humour!

Cheers.