Renault Clio - Faulty vehicle - Rawlo77
Hi

After a bit of advice please.

I purchased a Clio from a garage in April. I paid £4795 for it with 105,000 miles on the clock. It had a 6 month warranty (total max claim £1000). New service and MOT 2 months old.

After a couple of weeks a horrible grinding noise was coming from the engine, along with a brake issue.
I returned it to the garage and they diagnosed a faulty gearbox and warped brake discs. I had only done 150 miles in that time. They claimed on the warranty for the gearbox and replaced with a reconditioned one. I opted to pay a bit extra from my pocket for the clutch and flywheel to be replaced.

Yesterday there was a grinding noise again, this time when the clutch was pressed down. The AA came and recovered it to the garage. The garage said the gearbox has gone again (only driven a further 300 miles with the recon gearbox). They said they will replace it with another recon gearbox and a new clutch and flywheel again.

I told the garage that I have done less than 600 miles in the car, and that I had given them an opportunity to rectify the gearbox already, but now I believe the car is not fit for purpose and I want a full refund under section 24 of the consumer rights act.

As thought, he told me to do one. So I’m perusing this with legal representation.

However, I wondered what people’s thoughts are regarding the original repair.

The garage told me that the recon gearbox was from eurocarparts. However googling it I can’t see eurocarparts selll gearboxes. I am also surprised a recon gearbox would go wrong after so little mileage.

I have a suspicion that to cut costs they’ve tried to repair the original fault and never fitted a recon one.

Thanks.
Renault Clio - Faulty vehicle - Andrew-T
I have a suspicion that to cut costs they’ve tried to repair the original fault and never fitted a recon one.

So do I. Hard to prove though ?

Renault Clio - Faulty vehicle - Adampr

You need to make it clear that you're not asking their permission to reject it, you are telling them that you have rejected it, as is your right.

They're obviously lying about the gearbox. They bodged it last.time.and are hoping to get bodge it again so you have the car for more than six months and it's much harder to reject.

They bodged it last.time.and are hoping to get bodge it again so you have the car for more than six months and it's much harder to reject.

I think you are being generous. I suspect that rather than even trying a bodge, they may have just changed the gearbox oil, which would cost little time or effort. That could 'cure' the problem for a short time - but maybe not 6 months ....

Renault Clio - Faulty vehicle - up north

Ask them for a copy of dated headed receipts for the supposed replacement parts, but better to reject the car then if it goes the legal route they are knackered if they can't as a trader provide receipts. Definitely reject it

Renault Clio - Faulty vehicle - Rawlo77
Thank for your comments.

I contacted the warranty company and asked if they were provided receipts. They checked and only had an invoice for the labour £1000 (the limit per claim)

I’ve now emailed the garage on Friday asking for the receipt for the ‘recon gearbox’’. Let’s see what happens.

If you know a different (friendly) local garage you might ask them to have a look under, for signs of any recent work on the gearbox - clean bolts, oily marks or fingerprints etc ?

Renault Clio - Faulty vehicle - mickyh7

I appreciate this is an old thread, but why even talk to them?

Just reject the car. It is your right.

There is no argument here, they are trying to steal money from you. Do not let it drag out.

Oh, and if you need to bring in the Ombudsman, it immediately costs them £500!

Thats worth knowing.