Mk2 Focus - Help! How to get rid of strong sealant smell? - mrsmoore789

Hi everyone, I recently had a leak in one of the rear windows so this has been repaired with sealant. All good. However, I can NOT get rid of the sealant smell! The car has been sat outside with the windows open for a few days (in between the rain) but it's no better...does anyone have any tips to get rid of the smell? Main problem is that my baby's car seat is right next to that side of the car and I don't want to expose her to it :-(

Mk2 Focus - Help! How to get rid of strong sealant smell? - Andrew-T

I think you must wait for the sealant to 'cure', meaning it will have to release some solvent, which is what you smell. Read the label (if you can) to decide whether your child should not be exposed to it. Otherwise all you might do is put a warm blower in the car for a while.

Edit - if it smells a bit like vinegar, that will be acetic anhydride, which should not be hazardous.

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/01/2021 at 14:46

That's really useful and reassuring, thank you! I guess it does smell a bit vinegar-y, smells a bit fishy, gave me a headache just going down the road! Apparently it doesn't say on the can either way about solvents etc. I will try and get some hot air on it and see if that helps!

Mk2 Focus - Help! How to get rid of strong sealant smell? - John F

I wouldn't worry about the baby. In my experience babies tend to stink more than a harmless transient whiff of sealant. Might even give her an appetite for fish and chips!

Mk2 Focus - Help! How to get rid of strong sealant smell? - elekie&a/c doctor
I guess you have used domestic type silicone sealer . The products the windscreen companies use does not give off such a strong smell . It may take a few days or so for it to cure .

I've just been told it's Wynns black gasket maker, but there's no info on the can.

Mk2 Focus - Help! How to get rid of strong sealant smell? - elekie&a/c doctor
That’s for engines , not windows and glass . On modern cars the glass is bonded to the body of the car . Unless the correct sealing procedure is used , chances are the leak will still be present .

Ah, ok that's annoying. It was done for free by a friend so no money lost or such, but just want to get the smell out or know if it's harmful for us to be shut in the car with it :-)

Mk2 Focus - Help! How to get rid of strong sealant smell? - bathtub tom

Put the car on fresh air, not recirculate.

Mk2 Focus - Help! How to get rid of strong sealant smell? - mcb100
In fairness, Wynn’s website does say that is waterproof and can be used as a window sealant, among many other uses.
It doesn’t state any drying times, however.