Picking your next car? Our unique Car Chooser is here to help... | No thanks

Going loco
I recently bought a second hand car from a local trader. There were no problems when I looked it over and took it for a test drive. I even noticed that it had a brand new spare tyre. After paying for the car I left it with him to MOT, service and tax as part of the deal. After getting the car home at the end of the week I found that the new spare wheel and jack kit were all missing. Contacting the seller has resulted in a long and tedious game of "there is/was a spare" "well, there’s no spare now". Do you have any advice on how to proceed?

Asked on 27 March 2010 by R.C., Swindon

Send a letter to him by recorded delivery informing him that if he does
not replace the spare wheel, jack and wheel brace, you will buy a spare wheel, jack and wheel brace and sue him for the cost of them using the small claims track of the county court (where you have a 98% chance of winning).