Wheeler dealing
I wish to buy a set of winter tyres and steel (ie non-alloy) wheels for my VW Tiguan Escape. My VW dealer tells me I cannot buy steel wheels in the UK and therefore would have to buy a set of alloys, total cost, with tyres fitted a prohibitive 4 x £370. I do not want to take off the normal tyres (235/55/R17 - 99H) from their alloys to substitute with winter tyres. Do you know where I might obtain some steel wheels, please?

Asked on 27 March 2010 by M.B., via e-mail

Get the wheels from Germany using the Internet. Remember you will also need a different set of tapered-shoulder wheel bolts. You cannot use the same bolts as used with the alloys. Maybe a specialist such as GSF or Euro car parts can get the wheels for you in the UK.