What is life like with your car? Let us know and win one of three ipads | No thanks

Teving trouble
Due to an array of warning lights on the dash of her 118d, including traction control and brakes, my daughter took the car for a diagnostic check to a local main BMW dealer who has told her that it needs a new “DSC Hydro Unit” at a cost of £1,800. Is this a common fault and can you suggest a less costly alternative for fixing it? The car is 4 years old with average mileage.

Asked on 27 March 2010 by N.W., Northumberland

Yes, this is the well-known TEVES Mk 60 ABS/ESP module problem in which a pressure sensor buried deep inside the unit fails. The dealer should obtain at least a 70% goodwill payment from BMW for this fault. But if the car has been serviced outside the BMW franchise chain, goodwill might not be forthcoming at all.