VW Passat - Headrests - rodders10

I am thinking of changing my car and the VW Passat seemed to be just what I was looking for. However as soon as I sat in the driver's seat I realised that I could not possibly put up with the headrest position. They seem to force the head forward into a very uncomfortable position. I also understand that the headrests are not adjustable. Furthermore my wife has a ponytail hairstyle (she won't change it!) and she would find the seating position even more uncomfortable. Has anyone come across this problem?

VW Passat - Headrests - Cyd

Some head restraints have some fore aft tilt available. Have you tried this?

If not, then have you got the seat back too far upright? See a lot of people driving like this - it's bad for the lower back, places the torso too close to the airbag for proper safety and bends the arms too much for proper steering control.

VW Passat - Headrests - bathtub tom

I like an upright seat, I find I'm susceptible to backache otherwise. I can't get the seat upright enough on one of my cars.

My other, a Nissan, I had a similar problem to the OP. The salesman whipped out the head restraint and reversed it. I quickly turned it back again when I realised they're not passive, but move forward in an accident to protect the spine.

It would appear it's a feature of modern cars, I've learned to live with it.

VW Passat - Headrests - coopshere
It seems to be a feature of most modern cars, it's to help prevent whiplash injury. Only way I found to get over it is to adjust the driving position, recline the seat a little more and then adjust the steering wheel to compensate.
VW Passat - Headrests - Bilboman

I had four years of pain from my last company car, a 2008 model Focus, entirely due to the angle of the head restraint. Well-intentioned advice from other contributors on adjusting the backrest completely missed the point: drivers are not totally stupid - we do know how to adjust positions of things, if they are adjustable, and we do try every possible combination to find one that is comfortable!
It is the angle between the backrest itself and the head restraint - a fixed angle which cannot be changed - which causes the problem, and the Focus was doubly cursed with head restraints which were hard-edged and non-adjustable - unlike, say, those in Renaults, which have an angled head cushion.
Driving my Focus over the slightest undulation on a road surface, let alone potholes and infernal speed humps/"cushions", led to a constant bumpity-bump-bump as my head hit the edge of the restraint. Either that or else I would try to lean forwards slightly in anticipation and avoid the smack on the head, like a cheeky child dodging a parent's slap. But constant straining my neck led to as much discomfort and almost as much pain as the aforementioned smack round the head!
My Toyota Avensis has head restraints which are much more upright but best of all the pads are nicely cushioned. I simply do not believe that slamming a human skull into a rock hard surface is the best way to avoid whiplash; it is seriously time for a rethink on certain safety features - and time for some car safety "experts" to actually drive the cars they seem to design so hatefully.
Despite not having lumbar adjustment, I have now covered 10,000 miles and have had absolutely no back or neck pain in the most comfortable car seats I have ever sat in.

Edited by Bilboman on 10/03/2013 at 17:48

VW Passat - Headrests - Collos25

All the Ford Focuses I have been in you could adjust the head restraint but assuming you couldn´t why did you not buy one that does adjust and stop all the suffering.

VW Passat - Headrests - Hamsafar

Did it have electric seats? With some VAG seats you can bend the top half of the backrest back and forth, if it has been bent forward, this could explain the problem.

VW Passat - Headrests - Bilboman

I didn't realise the head restraint problem until I'd had the (company) car for a few days and I was not by then in a position to change it for the other car offered (Astra). I tried turning the wretched thing the other way (wouldn't fit) and just couldn't track down a compatible alternative - there are plenty of bling accessories on eBay ranging from ear splitting sound systems to magnesium alloys, but try and find something practical like comfortable head restraints!
tinyurl.com/bueater
It's heartening to read that Ford are "aware of the issue" and "working on solutions". So that's okay then. (Spain's Prime Minister is giving the economy a tickle, too... )

Edited by Bilboman on 11/03/2013 at 01:05

VW Passat - Headrests - Collos25

You should have changed the headrest not the car.They are actually ajustable but most people do not read the manual.

Headrests - Cornwall

I have just tried out a lot of small cars and so far, for what it's worth, the Citroen C3, DS3 and Volkswagen Hight Up have been best so far as regards the head restraints i.e. they don't push your head forward if you have to have the seat back relatively upright. As I said to the other dealers, it's not their cars at fault but rather my arthritic spine and neck. That said, the physio has advised me how to sit to relieve the problems and finding a car where I can sit properly with shoulders back against the seat and my neck at a comfortable angle is proving to be difficult in the small car market.

VW Passat - Headrests - veloster

are you sure the headrest is not adjustable.i have a hyundai veloster and the headrest has 3 different positions,maybe have a look in the manual see if it can be adjusted.

VW Passat - Headrests - mustangman

Just a thought............ on my VW Tiguan I believe the headrests are "active". Ie: if you are involved in an accident the headrest unit is thrown forwards on a lightly loaded ratchet mechanism, so that as your head springs backwards any possible whiplash neck injuries are lessened, since the headrest is closer to you than normal.

Point being that it locks in this position. There is a button on the outside edge that will release it.......