Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Praise for Motor Codes Conciliation Service - pjmarshall

I bought a new C4 Grand Picasso from Abbey Citroen, Redhill in April, 2008. By the time it was two years old it had developed a juddering in the transmission when being operated at low speeds. I raised this with Abbey at the two year service. After the service they told me that they had updated the computer software and that this should help, if not completely eradicate the problem. Their prognosis proved to be correct and by the time the car was almost three years old I had to ask them to have another look. The outcome was the same, as it was at the four year service when I raised it yet again.

Eventually, I had to take the car back last autumn. It was made clear to me that the transmission would have to be stripped down, that this would be a long and expensive process and that I would have to be responsible for the costs unless something untoward turned up. However, by this stage, driving the car was uncomfortable and no longer the pleasure it originally was. I authorised the work to go ahead.

The transmission was stripped down and I was told afterwards that there had indeed been a fault with the hydraulic gear change mechanism. Presumably this was a longstanding fault which had been causing problems since before the two year stage and well within the car's original warranty period. Abbey told me Citroen had very kindly agreed to pick up half the costs of the repair. Needless to say, I was extremely grateful for this kind offer, especially given the high overall cost of the work (approaching £2000 altogether).

I did not wish to sound ungrateful but I nevertheless wrote again to Citroen to say that as the problem arose well within the warranty period and that it did appear to have been caused by a faulty component, then perhaps they should be picking up the whole cost of repairs. Citroen's Customer Support Department declined my request saying that the company had made a goodwill gesture and would not be able to contribute further.

Citroen did, however, refer me to the Motor Codes Conciliation Service, an organisation which I had not previously been aware of, and said that they might be able to consider my arguments and then, if persuaded, mediate between Citroen and myself.

The outcome was highly satisfactory from my point of view. Motor Codes considered the case very quickly, and I received another call from Citroen to say that they had reconsidered my representations and that they would, after all, by paying for the entire cost of my repairs. Needless to say, I was very grateful to them. I am also grateful to Abbey Citroen in Redhill for the excellent work they did to fix the car's transmission. It is now running beautifully. Abbey's service department is very good indeed.

But my main reason for writing is to praise Motor Codes. Others may wish to know of its existence, and in my case at least, its ability to resolve disputes between customers and manufacturers.

Peter Marshall

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Praise for Motor Codes Conciliation Service - Dutchie

Good outcome Peter nice to hear a positive from a car manufacturer.

We having our Grand C4 Picasso delivered end of April.The 1.6 HDI engine and a six speed manual gearbox.There is plenty of room for my wife's wheelchair in the boot.I had a good test drive perfect vieuw of traffic and comfy seats.A bit like driving a boat nice and steady.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Praise for Motor Codes Conciliation Service - Avant

Peter - many thanks for letting us know about this. This organisation - full name Motor Codes Advisory and Conciliation Service - may be another resort for the many people who post on here with problems similar to yours.

It was good that Citroen referred you to them, but others may not do so. I had a quick look via Google: it looks as if they may be more use in a dispute over a new car warranty than for buyers of used cars.

Does anyone else have experience of this organisation?

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Praise for Motor Codes Conciliation Service - Cyd

Abbey's service department is very good indeed.

Peter Marshall

Despite letting you drive around in an uncomfortable car with faulty transmission for over 2 years?

Excellent outcome though. Well done.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Praise for Motor Codes Conciliation Service - John Boy

They're slightly coy on Google about their website, nevertheless it's here:

www.motorindustrycodes.co.uk/

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Praise for Motor Codes Conciliation Service - John Boy

I suspect you could go to their site - www.motorindustrycodes.co.uk/ - enter your location and assume that you were merely being presented with a list of garages, some of which had been had been given a rating.

Not so. In my area a garage is listed with the word "Expelled" in the ratings box. As it happens, it's a garage where my partner took her car (only once!) for servicing. She described the bill as "outrageous" and that's saying something, because she's definitely not a penny pincher.

Three of the rated garages are in the Good Garages list on here. Two of those are independents with lots more reviews than we have on here. I found it very useful reading.

Edited by John Boy on 17/02/2013 at 13:43

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Praise for Motor Codes Conciliation Service - pjmarshall

Fair point. But when they do do work it is first class.

Peter

I wasn't being negative, Peter. I was suggesting that, if they're prepared to publicly "expel" a garage, then they must have integrity.