1993 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Lauren and Klement - warranty - oldtimer69

In Oct 2012 I bought the above vehicle for £2600 from a garage. Excellent car. Fully stamped service book, 119,000 miles. I then experiened a problem, When I dropped down a gear to overtake the car lost power to the extent that it was like driving a non turbo car, fortunately I had enough power to make the overtake manouvere.This was intermitant and could be solved by stopping the car turning off the ignition and immediately restarting, problem solved. As this continued I took it back to the garage in dec and they advised that that EGR was gunged up and cleaned out. Speaking to one of the mechanics he advised that car was under 3 months warranty and all garages had to give this on 2nd hand cars.The garage owner did not charge for this. Problem not solved so back it went over a week ago and having tried all avenues thinking it was sensors that were the problem failed to resolve it. No warning light have appeared and no faults on the computer found.They have now said that the wastegate on the turbo is not working correctly so have removed it and sent away for recon.My question is is the car under warranty still or does it come under the Trades Description Act as not fit for purpose. Hope you can help as dont feel like paying for recon turbo

1993 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Lauren and Klement - warranty - RT

It's the Sale of Goods Act that refers to "fit for purpose" - it's provisions ALWAYS apply regardless of any warranty as warranty can only ever be additional to SoGA, not instead of.

A fault doesn't make a car unfit for purpose - the dealer just fixes the fault.

So does that mean that the dealer pays for the repair as it comes under the Trades description Act, I need to get the facts right when I pick up the car this week and as a numptee what is "SoGo"

Thanks

1993 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Lauren and Klement - warranty - RT

So does that mean that the dealer pays for the repair as it comes under the Trades description Act, I need to get the facts right when I pick up the car this week and as a numptee what is "SoGo"

Thanks

Sale of Goods Act (SoGA) is the law governing individual's rights when buying goods (and some services) - this has reference to "fit for purpose".

Trades Descriptions Act is the law governing what traders can, and can't, say to describe a product.

1993 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Lauren and Klement - warranty - Avant

Do you mean 2003? The Octavia came out in about 1998/9.

sorry meant 2003
1993 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Lauren and Klement - warranty - Collos25

Just for reference the Octavia was available in Germany in March 1997.