X Type 2.0d 2005 - Help - cf53

Owned since new - 120000miles.

I didn't use it for a few days over Xmas. Tried to start it. It wouldn't. Dashboard lights bright - but absolutely dead as if there were no battery. Called recovery out. Mean while had tried agin a bit later. Car started but wouldn't run properly. Battery check OK. Alternator checked OK. Drove 100 miles. it died on me on the M4. Hard shoulder. Zilch again and then a few minutes later ok and did another 70 miles without problem. Following day same again. replaced battery just in case.

Engine also now running smoothly but then not at 100% and on it went.

Checked in a local garage. Diagnostic showed nothing. Of course the non starting problem never occurred when I wanted it to.

Over the next couple of weeks the car was back and fore into the garage. The guys blanked off the EGR valve and fitted a new crank sensor. The Injectors were tested. 2&3 leaking but not replaced.

The starting problem had gone away after the ECR was done, but smooth running hadn't. Most of the time it's flying but then I can tell that it's not running at optimum.

Just as I was rebuilding confidence that I could drive again without losing power i'm right back to square one. The car just dies on me. A few minutes later all is ok.

X Type 2.0d 2005 - Help - Avant

Moved to Technical.

X Type 2.0d 2005 - Help - injection doc

The main power cable that bolts under the starter connector compresses over time ( or heats up & cools down and shrinks causing an intermitant connection to the starter.

Once the connection becomes poeer it gets worse as it burns.

Extremley common fault on Mondeo's

If the injectors are suffering with leak back the fuel rail pressure will drop causing cutting out or poor starting & rough running. Injector performance is critical.

Edited by injection doc on 16/02/2013 at 08:45