Volkswagen Golf V - Vw golf 1.4 gt tsi 170 MAJOR PROBLEM - jayh9789
This morning i set off for work like normal and instantly noticed a strange hooting noise coming from the engine. There was no difference in performance of the engine and no lights came on the dash to suggest a problem so i carried on as normal.

After around 15 miles the hooting became louder and the engine seemed sluggish and quite jerky. I instantly pulled off the motorway and pulled over. The car was throwing out white smoke out of the exhaust and the inside of the car also filled with smoke. It stunk of oil.

Does anyone know what this could be? Could the engine need oil or is it something worse? No warning lights came on so i am slightly baffled.

Cheers
Volkswagen Golf V - Vw golf 1.4 gt tsi 170 MAJOR PROBLEM - dieselnut

It sounds like the turbo may have failed & spewing oil into the exhaust. You need to get it recovered to your garage & certainly don't start the engine without first checking the oil level. If you try driving the car it could well cause further damage.

Okay thanks for that. Are we talking a costly repair then? Do you recon its the whole turbo or maybe just a seal gone or something?
Volkswagen Golf V - Vw golf 1.4 gt tsi 170 MAJOR PROBLEM - TeeCee

Turbos are almost invariably replaced rather than rebuilt. The drop in oil pressure caused by the leak will almost certainly have ruined the bearings in it anyway. The "hooting" noise suggest the howl of a failing bearing rather than a seal and the subsequent oil leak an effect rather than a cause.

Your big problem is that with a blown turbo, oil pressure will have dropped to very low levels. Driving it like that could easily have done other damage to the engine.

Volkswagen Golf V - Vw golf 1.4 gt tsi 170 MAJOR PROBLEM - craig-pd130

Is it the 1.4 twin-charged engine? It's hard to say the extent of the damage, but it sounds like either the turbo or supercharger will need reconditioning, which is going to be several hundred pounds.

Hopefully the oil leak which caused the smoke has not caused further damage to the engine. I don't want to scaremonger until you've had a proper diagnosis.

Yes its the twin-charged engine. With it doing these things at very low revs does this suggest that it is the supercharger rather than the turbo?

Also i've been having problems recently where when the engine warms up the turbo only boosts to half boost pressure. Maybe this has caused the current problem?

Cheers
Volkswagen Golf V - Vw golf 1.4 gt tsi 170 MAJOR PROBLEM - injection doc

These do suffer with clucth failures on the water pump which diengages the drive to the super charger & causes a loss of power also along with all the other issues these engines suffer from

piston failures ,Turbos & timing chain, misfire. Too much power obtained from such a small engine equalls unreliability & lots of money when they go wrong !

Volkswagen Golf V - Vw golf 1.4 gt tsi 170 MAJOR PROBLEM - craig-pd130

Hi, I wouldn't like to guess without seeing the engine but it could be either the turbo or supercharger at fault. As a previous post said, the white smoke means that an oil seal has gone in one or the other and engine oil is being dumped into the hot exhaust.

If it's a seal in the supercharger that's failed, the oil will be going into the engine, being burned in the cylinders and then exiting through the turbo and exhaust; if it's the turbo, it's more likely to go straight into the exhaust.

The boost problem may be related, i.e. a failing bearing, but that would have been quite noisy. It could also be something else entirely, like a dicky boost sensor or similar.

Volkswagen Golf V - Vw golf 1.4 gt tsi 170 MAJOR PROBLEM - keltig
Hello did you manage to get your car sorted this same thing happened to
Me Saturday night and I've not driven it since. I'm worried and not sure what to do next can you or anybody please help.. Thank you