Ford Fiesta - Replacing low profile tyres - daisyd1

I own a 12 month old Ford Fiesta with 195/45/16 tyres. I keep reading that moving to a smaller rim with more tyre profile will improve ride comfort and tyre wear.

To ensure that speedo etc works correctly, what wheel and tyre combination should I be looking to buy when the tyres wear out?

Ford Fiesta - Replacing low profile tyres - loadsofpugs

You need to do a sum 195/45/16 = tyre height is 45% the width

Work out the circumference the do the same sum for other sizes.

Or ring a good tyre supplier who has an alternative fitting chart

Or I found this www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tyres/SizeCalc.aspx

Ford Fiesta - Replacing low profile tyres - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

The standard factory-fitted tyre size for the Fiesta is 195/50 R15 on a 6J rim, but even these give a pretty harsh ride. The Mk5 Fiesta was fitted with 175/65 R14 on a 5.5J rim (like your spare - if they put one in!), and the new 'Eco' models and some van versions, are also fitted with the 14" wheels. The 14" size with the deeper tyre is much better at asorbing road shocks, but the braking efficiency is noticably worse with the slimmer tyre. I've tried running on the 14" tyres fitted to 6J rims and this gives braking efficiency comparable to the 15" tyres. I read that the discs and pads may be different (smaller?) on the models fitted with 14" wheels, so as not to bring the ABS in so early. I've tried wrapping a steel tape measure around both the 15" and 14" tyres fitted to a rim, and I'm measuring the rolling circumference of both part-worn tyres as 184cm.

Ford Fiesta - Replacing low profile tyres - thunderbird

If you change form the standard factory size for your model you will need to inform your insurance company, if you don't you risk being without cover.

Ford Fiesta - Replacing low profile tyres - johnde

If you are changing rim diameter, moving to a smaller rim with the higher profile tyre, be careful to maintain a diameter and circumference the same or approximately the same as it is for the original equipment(OE) tyre.

Here is the website where you can get information about optimal tyre sizes for your new rims Tyre Size Calculator.