Any - Do I keep the warranty? - spring

Just bought 1 year old car from main dealer. It has 2 years remaining warranty.

Previous cars have been too old for this luxury and been serviced by a trusted local independent, so I'm out of touch with the rules.

Can I use my local trusty to service (and if necessary repair) the 'new' vehicle and still maintain the warranty, or am I tied for two years to the selling dealer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Colin

Any - Do I keep the warranty? - gordonbennet

In theory your indy can service it so long as he's VAT regd and uses genuine parts and keeps to schedule and you get proper receipts.

In practice you will get more cooperation if you have a full main dealer history, especially if you have problems once warranty is out...this does not apply to German and most other makers where the second warranty expires you're generally on your own.

Remember to shop about within your chosen marque MD's for servicing costs, they can vary widely once you get out in the country.

Any - Do I keep the warranty? - Cyd

Use your indy, but buy the parts from the main dealer.

Any - Do I keep the warranty? - oldroverboy.

Just bought 1 year old car from main dealer. It has 2 years remaining warranty.

So, for the difference in main dealer and indy servicing you are prepared to sacrifice the warranty? Assuming you have spent £9-10K on the car you want to save another £100 ish over 2 years. NO NO AND NO! the main dealer will deal with recalls, probably lend you a courtesy car, and should take your side if there is something close to the end of warranty. that is not to say that you can't buy brake pads and other consumables elsewhere..

Tell us what car and i am sure dome of the experts will advise something ..

Edited by oldroverboy. on 12/02/2013 at 08:07

Any - Do I keep the warranty? - leaseman

Fully agree oldroverboy. In todays climate, with manufacturer's and main dealer's attitudes as they are, get the service book stamped by a franchised dealer within the terms of the recommended intervals and stick with the service requirements as stated in the service book. Keep an eye on wear and tear parts, like brake pads and discs and have them replaced when necessary by an indy using OE (Original Equipment) parts only.

Any - Do I keep the warranty? - spring

I am very grateful for all who took the trouble to reply to my question. You have, taken together, pushed us to favour the Main Dealer.

Historically, we bought a similar 1 year old Peugeot 307 petrol estate 7 years ago but drifted towards an indy ( we:ve used before) when the warranty ran out and after a slight fall out over the MD's servicing Was very happy - the indy spoke to us in English and not motor-speak; the techie was visible from the office and entered into conversations and all in all it was a good relationship.

Being totally satisfied with the car over 7 years, when the same deal came up (Peug. owned for a year) we last week bought a 207 diesel..

I suppose as the MD is less than quarter of a mile away that is a plus for him although I do resent spending money on 6 inch thick carpets, flowers in vases, coffee offred every five minutes and showrooms like palaces. Sorry - grumpy OM.

Thanks again. Colin S

Any - Do I keep the warranty? - bathtub tom

I understand your sentiments as I had to 'bite the bullet' for a £200 oil change when I'd bought a 2-year-old and had it MOT'd and serviced just before its third birthday.

I did get a couple of new headlamp assemblies fitted FOC under a 'not quite a recall' that would've cost much more if they'd failed subsequently (as many did).