Peugeot 308 - Noise coming from engine bay (with youtube movie) - koliva

Hi all,

I have realized a strange noise coming from the engine bay. This happens only when I run the car in the morning, so let say when it is cold. I don't hear it during the rest of the day. What would you say? It's 2010 model 1.6 HDI 90 hp.

Here is the video for the noise.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBst1HyklhQ&feature=yo...e

Peugeot 308 - Noise coming from engine bay (with youtube movie) - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Peugeot 308 - Noise coming from engine bay (with youtube movie) - countryroads

Sounds like a dry bearing in something to me...my mums old Ford makes the same sort of noise, its the alternator but as its charging ok we arent changing it yet. It is 12 years old with 100k on it though!

The Peugeot is still under warranty isnt it, get it into the dealer and get them to leave it overnight to test...book in advance and get a loan car so all is convenient.

The first thing I would do is take the aux belt off, spin everything that spins and see if there is any roughness in bearings. Shouldnt be the water pump or timing belt pulleys unless the mileage is very high in which case they should have already been changed, but then it is a Peugeot so I wouldnt like to guess without seeing it!

Ok. I will try and report back. Thanks.

Peugeot 308 - Noise coming from engine bay (with youtube movie) - Robin the Technician

It sounds to me like a fan belt 'chirp'. To check it, start it up and pour water from a jug over the belt - be prepared to get splashed. If it stops - as I expect it will, check the belt tension. If its tight, then probably the belt will need replacing. Sounded just like my 406 - and that was the belt.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

As far as I know there is no belt for the fan. It runs with electricity.

Peugeot 308 - Noise coming from engine bay (with youtube movie) - galileo

Yes, but what drives the alternator (and possibly power steering pump too)?

Peugeot 308 - Noise coming from engine bay (with youtube movie) - Robin the Technician

OK... I'll re-phrase my answer. You will have a drive/ fan/ secondary belt (whatever you want to call it) that drives the alternator and water pump and maybe even the power steering pump. This is run from the bottom pulley. It may be that one of the above has a separate 'belt' that drives it. As I said, pour some water on one or both and if the noise stops then its is one or all the belts.

hope this is clearer and it helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Peugeot 308 - Noise coming from engine bay (with youtube movie) - waynes449

how do you change tension pulley belt at the side of the engine is there a special tool you need to do the bottom wheel so the belt come off

any help will do please also name of the tool if possible

thanks

wayne

Peugeot 308 - Noise coming from engine bay (with youtube movie) - oh no!
I have the same car with the same problem. Did you get a solution?
Peugeot 308 - Noise coming from engine bay (with youtube movie) - jack.jack
Hi. I am the same model 2010 74,000 miles making the same sound. Peogeot dealership just advised me that is probably the water pump failing and offer to replace the water pump timing belt and anti freeze for £400. Apparent all these parts are related when it comes to fixing a water pump.

I would say the that I have only noticed a slight medium to high pitch hum when idioling. And a slight increase in fuel consumption. Used to get 70mpg now 67.3mpg using same driving style over same destinations.