car recommendations - jamie2012

Hi All

Could You Can help me pick a car i am after a automatic car i have £2500 to spend and i will be using it to travel to my work which is only 10 miles from my house i want a reliable car than is not to much to run and im a big guy about 95kg 6'0 so dont think the smaller cars will suit me

cheers for replys

car recommendations - Avant

If I were you I'd go for something Japanese and petrol-powered. Look for a Honda Civic (the 2001-2007 shape) which is a little roomier than a Mazda 323 or 3, or a Toyota Corolla. If all these feel too small then go to the bigger Toyota Avensis, Mazda 626 or 6, or Honda Accord, and add in the Nissan Primera.

cheers mate i will start looking

car recommendations - jamie745

Plenty of Mondys about for that money. Buy now, thank me later.

car recommendations - Jase

I agree with Avant and would recommend the Honda Civic (2.0 type S is excellent) or an Accord with the same engine, or even the 2.4S, depending on your attitude to MPG.

Out there choice - Mk4 LS400 (you only live once!) from <=March2001 to get the lower road tax.

Or..another out there choice.. for around £1000 or a little more you could consider a Honda Accord Coupe if you can find one locally. Again, this would depend on your attitude to MPG as you will be in the low 20s, but who doesn't want a 200BHP Coupe in their life!. The 3.0s are all automatics, which would meet your requirement. They look nice, go well, sound nice and are very comfy (all leather, heated seats, climate etc). 4 seats and a massive boot. I've had one for 18months now! Can't beat them for value for money luxo barge motoring and they come with Honda reliabiliy.

car recommendations - TeeCee

but who doesn't want a 200BHP Coupe in their life!.

Someone running their car on a daily commute and who's paying for their own fuel?

I have to confess that this is very much "Do as I say, not as I do" though. I ran an MGB as my daily commute for 10 years. I used to get somewhere around 24mpg.......

car recommendations - Bobbin Threadbare

I see a T-reg Accord Coupe most days on my way to work. Looks good. I bet he enjoys his commute anyway!

Thanks for the adivce guys i wont be driving so much but 24mpg does seem a bit low i have found some cars after the advice problem is they around 70,000 in my price range is it ok to buy a used car if its been looked after or should i try and get around 50.000

car recommendations - countryroads

A 50k mile car that has been ragged and poorly maintained will be much worse than a well cared for 70k mile example, buy on condition and history...I am not saying mileage is irrelevant, but a 20k difference isnt much.

Dont buy an older car with super super low miles on the clock either, the engine will be nasty internally.

cheers for that info

Not strictly true. My 406 had done very low miles for the first 10 years of it's life, the engine has been fine. The exhaust rear box on the other hand was replaced an inordinate amount of times because of its low-mileage-short-trip life.

any one had any exsprience with a

Honda Hr-V 1.6 5DR CVT AUTO 4WD

24mpg does seem a bit low

Well yes I suppose it is, but even at todays prices your 10 mile trip costs £2.50

Hi jamie2012,

Have you read HJ's Car by Car Review for that one?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/hr-v-1999/

The only issue appears to be with the CVT, however the one owners review that is there is for a 1999T says it is fine (now 13yrs old). Honda's are good cars.

MPG wise, a 1.6 CVT auto with part time 4wd gubbins may not be great. Performance might not be electrifying either. Certainly worth an inspection if local. Ask to see service history, last MOT (check advisories) and check wear and tear items like tyres, exhaust and age of battery.

Let us know how you get on.

thanks jase thats been a great help thank you very much