V.Vectra 1.8 SRI 2008 or Toyota Avensis 1.8 2007 - Vauxhall Vectra 2008 or Toyota Avensis 2007 - Lynda1980

Needing some advice - could you just tell me what you'd pick if given the choice...

A Vauxhall Vectra 1.8i VVT SRI 5 Dr 2008 (50,000 miles, 5 year warranty) - not sure if warranty like this sounds too good to be true, but I've yet to call to garage to suss this out, but this is how it is being sold!!!

or

A Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVT 5 Dr 2007 (61,000 miles, 6 months warranty).

We have been looking for a family car that is reliable & economical with space, mostly used for small runs but twice a month for 300 mile round trip, something with good boot space, that we can clock up miles on without worrying about things going wrong with it!

We think we've pretty much narrowed it down to both of these cars, they look very similar, so I'm wondering if you were given the choice between both which would you choose & why?

Both are priced exactly the same.

Thanks in advance :)

V.Vectra 1.8 SRI 2008 or Toyota Avensis 1.8 2007 - Vauxhall Vectra 2008 or Toyota Avensis 2007 - 72 dudes

In SRi form the Vectra looks pretty good, but it constantly comes towards the bottom of the reliability lists.

While the Avensis looks dull by comparison, this is the one you should plump for. I've heard of good reports of the 1.8 petrol engine being quite economical when driven sensibly.

Don't worry too much about warranty, be it 5 years or 6 months, there's usually some small print which will prevent you from claiming successfully, usually because it comes down to "wear and tear".

So the Avensis is the one to go for. Just make sure you do the proper checks for full service history, HPI checks. See if you can find any bills or invoices which back up the history. Check the V5C and contact the previous owner to find out why they sold it.

V.Vectra 1.8 SRI 2008 or Toyota Avensis 1.8 2007 - Vauxhall Vectra 2008 or Toyota Avensis 2007 - Lynda1980

Thanks for your reply, 72 dudes.

Would you need to do HPI checks on a vehicle even when your buying from a garage?

Also, how would I get my hands on a V5C of a car before buying it? Would the garage not tell me to 'do one' for asking for this type of document before signing for car?

I think your spot on with your predictions, the Avensis seems quite boring in comparison to the SRi but I need something reliable even boring with kids on board, whereas my husband loves this one, because its easy on the eye!

Thanks for your help though!

V.Vectra 1.8 SRI 2008 or Toyota Avensis 1.8 2007 - Vauxhall Vectra 2008 or Toyota Avensis 2007 - thunderbird

Also, how would I get my hands on a V5C of a car before buying it? Would the garage not tell me to 'do one' for asking for this type of document before signing for car?

If any garage is not prepared to show you documents they have something to hide, run away. The previous owner would have handed them over with the car.

How long does it take for the saleman to get the file out and show you the V5.

V.Vectra 1.8 SRI 2008 or Toyota Avensis 1.8 2007 - Vauxhall Vectra 2008 or Toyota Avensis 2007 - 72 dudes

If any garage is not prepared to show you documents they have something to hide, run away. The previous owner would have handed them over with the car.

How long does it take for the saleman to get the file out and show you the V5.

Thunderbird is 100% right. Any decent honest garage will want to show you the V5C. They will also not mind you writing down the previous owner's address, if there's nothing to hide.

If they start spouting nonsense about the Data Protection Act, walk away - they are wrong.

Ok thank you both for this advice. Armed with this, I will feel far more confident speaking to the garage! Cheers ;)

Would you need to do HPI checks on a vehicle even when your buying from a garage?

In theory No, as long as they do one prior to the transaction. Again, most decent garages will have all paperwork in advance of any sale.

The car must be clear of any finance, not previously written off or in an accident, and mileage checked. If in doubt, it's worth doing it yourself.

In theory No, as long as they do one prior to the transaction. Again, most decent garages will have all paperwork in advance of any sale.

The car must be clear of any finance, not previously written off or in an accident, and mileage checked. If in doubt, it's worth doing it yourself.

Ok - I will check for this also! Thank You :)

V.Vectra 1.8 SRI 2008 or Toyota Avensis 1.8 2007 - Vauxhall Vectra 2008 or Toyota Avensis 2007 - Avant

72 dudes is right about warranties: also it's quite unusual for a five-year-old car to be offered with a free warranty - suggesting that it's been on their forecourt for some time and they can't shift it.

A Vectra SRI won't be any more interesting to drive than the Avensis: it'll just have harder suspension. If the Avensis you have in mind isn't suitable for any reason, don't cross the Octavia, Superb and Mondeo off your list.