Hyundai I20 - rear calliper problems - fional

I have had to replace both the rear callipers on my Hyundai I20 before the car was 2 years old. I live too far from the dealer to see if their warranty would cover it so paid out £400 for this.

Doe anyone know if this is a problem with the MArque or have I just been unlucky. I have owned many new cars and never had this problem with any of them. I plan to replace my car in the Autumn but don't want another of these if this is an issue.

Hyundai I20 - rear calliper problems - thunderbird

I have had to replace both the rear callipers on my Hyundai I20 before the car was 2 years old. I live too far from the dealer to see if their warranty would cover it so paid out £400 for this.

Of course the warranty would have replaced them, it would have taken a phone call to check that fact. How far do you live from the dealer. £400 would have paid for over 2500 miles of petrol.

You do not have to use the dealer you bought the car form, any Hyundai dealer can do the work.

With regards to issue with Hyundais suggest you check on the Hyundai forum.

Hyundai I20 - rear calliper problems - countryroads

As with all rear discs on small light cars, they are very lightly used. It doesnt hurt to brake much harder than normal occasionally to 'excersise' the pads and slides etc for the caliper to keep everything free. My sisters Hyundai Coupe will clunk on first pulling away in the morning if the discs were damp and lightly used before coming to a total stop. Hers is auto too so she doesnt even use the handbrake most of the time.

As part of the annual service, ask them to do a 'brake service' What I do is re grease the slides with silicone grease, pad contact points with anti seize and check condition of boots etc. Never had to replace calipers on anything other than old cars that have been sitting a long long time.

And yes Hyundai would have replaced them, £400 is a huge amount of money to spend for the sake of a phone call to a couple of dealers to ask!

Why was the decision made to replace them and by who?

Edited by countryroads on 05/02/2013 at 11:55

Hyundai I20 - rear calliper problems - HyundaiOwnersClubAdmin

i20s suffered from a problem with the rear calipers sticking and had a recall on them