Ford Focus Estate (2006) 1.6 TDCi - Instrument Cluster Fault? - steve-focus

Hi All,

I've got a problem with my Instrument cluster (i assume) the rev counter, temp guage and speedo needles drop intermittently then altogether along with most of the warning lights coming on and off as i'm driving - i've had the RAC out who on their diagnostics showed an error on the instrument cluster. It started yesterday and i could continue to drive but as my journey went on, it got progressively worse until the car is virtually undriveable.

I have had the instrument cluster out this morning to check for any noticable problems - corrosion, dodgy wiring but nothing obvious.

I've been to the local ford garage and they are quoting approx £800 to supply and install a new one - which was a bit of a surprise to say the least considering the mk1 focus cost for the similar problem is about £150.

I've googled the problem and seen various people suggesting sending the cluster off to be remapped and repaired (cost approx £150)

And finally i've enquired about a second hand cluster but as i understand it will need reprogramming to my car (is this right/possible?), so the unit will be cheap (£50 - £80) but not sure what the reprogramming will cost .

Has anybody had similar problems? How did you resolve?

What is the best course of action for me to do to resolve?

Any help would be appreciated, as the £800 from ford is the last thing i would want to be paying!

Thanks in advance

Steve

Ford Focus Estate (2006) 1.6 TDCi - Instrument Cluster Fault? - elekie&a/c doctor

It is not easy to fit a second hand unit as the pod holds a lot of the car info ,including the immobiliser info.But these people may be able to help.www.actronics.eu/en

Tried to log onto them and they appear to be business to business as opposed to the public, might get in touch to see if they can recommend a local garage.

There are similar 'rebuild' websites around - BBA Reman keep cropping up - does anyone know of them and are they reputable?
Ford Focus Estate (2006) 1.6 TDCi - Instrument Cluster Fault? - elekie&a/c doctor

Actronics are trade only,so you need to go to a local outfit.As far as BBa are concerned,I would walk away.hth

Ford Focus Estate (2006) 1.6 TDCi - Instrument Cluster Fault? - MikeTorque

Did the Ford garage confirm it is definitely an instrument cluster fault ? Did they have a fault code to verify ? Did they run live diagnostics to confirm the actual fault or just check an error code was logged ?

If it is indeed an instrument fault then they can be reconditioned (subject to the particular fault) but the cost will depend on the specific fault. If this is done then it's always a good idea to blow in new software which takes about an hour for a Ford garage to do.

Edited by MikeTorque on 02/02/2013 at 21:07

Thought i'd come back with a response as the car is now sorted.

Basically, it was a faulty instrument cluster and luckily, it was covered under my extended warranty, so i've had a new one installed at the cost (to me) of about £300 - had it not been covered, i think i would have gone down the reconditioning route, as it would have been clsoer to £700 to get resolved.

About £550 for the part andf the rest made up in diagnostics, reprogramming and a new key!!

Ford Focus Estate (2006) 1.6 TDCi - Instrument Cluster Fault? - thunderbird

Thought i'd come back with a response as the car is now sorted.

Basically, it was a faulty instrument cluster and luckily, it was covered under my extended warranty, so i've had a new one installed at the cost (to me) of about £300 - had it not been covered, i think i would have gone down the reconditioning route, as it would have been clsoer to £700 to get resolved.

About £550 for the part andf the rest made up in diagnostics, reprogramming and a new key!!

If it was under warranty why has it cost you money, surely Ford should pay the whole bill.

Or was it was of those pointless aftermarket warranties.

not a fan of the extended warranty huh? yes it was a warranty direct policy - to be fair it turns out it has been cost neutral, what i paid for the warranty is similar to the work that has been done. you win some you lose some, but i wouldn't say it was pointless.

the reason for only part payment was down to the mileage of my car and what they will cover ie 50% of any parts plus labour and diagnostics.