Jaguar / X Type - Jag X Type 2.0D Flywheel questions - Cartos

Hi all,

I was wondering if some of you clever people could answer a couple of quick questions re flywheel issues. I have been told that it sounds like the flywheel on my Jag X type is on its way out. Beginnings of the dreaded knocking noise are detectable particularly when the car is cold.

How safe is it to drive for a while with this potential issue looming?

I had an initial quote of £910 to replace flywheel and clutch - ouch! Does this sound about right? Is there a cheaper alternative fix?

Any answers very welcome.

Jaguar / X Type - Jag X Type 2.0D Flywheel questions - Collos25

Thats cheap.

Jaguar / X Type - Jag X Type 2.0D Flywheel questions - injection doc

Price is about right, varies between 850ish to 1300.

make sure they are using a qulaity flywheel & clutch, LUK or Valeo, dont bother with remanufactuered clucth kits !

If its rattling dont leave it otherwise you may end up needing a starter as the debris from the flywheel gets inside the starter and I have known dual mass units to collapse and damage the gearbox casing.

Jaguar / X Type - Jag X Type 2.0D Flywheel questions - Redhound

I am curious about this as I have an X type and am paranoid about the flywheel, could you tell me what mileage and year yours is please? Also have you had any symptoms with the starter or the clutch pulsing? Thanks. Hope you get it sorted OK..

Jaguar / X Type - Jag X Type 2.0D Flywheel questions - daveyjp
Dealer price 5 years ago was £1300. Good point about it killing the starter.

I am curious about this as I have an X type and am paranoid about the flywheel, could you tell me what mileage and year yours is please? Also have you had any symptoms with the starter or the clutch pulsing? Thanks. Hope you get it sorted OK..

Mine is an 04 with 97,500 on the clock. For the past week or two there has been an intermittent mild clunking noise when the car is started and a very faint noise when turned off. In the past 3-5 days it's started knocking a little and the clutch pedal which was squeaky before has got increasingly creaky.

I find my X Type the most annoying car I've ever had. It runs well, it's comfortable and generally a pleasure to drive when everything is in working order but there is always something slightly wrong with it. I had the famous battery warning light issue for a few weeks recently which thankfully is now sorted but it was in the garage just after the new year. I went to pick it up and the 4 other cars in the garage.......all x types.

Thanks for the advice. I will get it sorted ASAP I think.

Jaguar / X Type - Jag X Type 2.0D Flywheel questions - Collos25

Be careful not to confuse the sound with that of the camshaft or timing chain sprockets both are known weak spots and give out roughly the same symptoms .

Jaguar / X Type - Jag X Type 2.0D Flywheel questions - injection doc

Cartos

I have owned 3 X-types from new with the last one being the 2.2d & I have too say all three gave me brilliant service and having owned cars for over 35 years the three x types have been the best ever. Mine did high milegae as i used to commute 250 miles per day !

proper servicing, high quality oil, BP fuel only and drove them gently cold & always allowed them to cool down idling before switching off and they were excellent. One of them did 73k before it even needed pads and only ever had a headlamp bulb & 1 Boot solonoid. Never ever wore a clucth out and i used to tow a 1500KG twin axle van round Europe each year as well.

I wouldnt say they are inherently bad at all, ietrher you have a rouge one ,or correct maintenance/ care is an issue.

Noise on start up and switch off is normally the flywheel, worn timing chain normally rattles for about 12-15 seconds on start up.

Thanks for your reply. I am certain that they are not all bad. Mine is a stinker though. The battery warning light problem that I thought I had sorted has now resurfaced leading to almost total vehicle shut down this morning. Every warning light the car has flashing intermittently on its way into the garage!

It's a lovely car to drive but it has now spent approximately 14 of the last 30 days in the garage and we are still no nearer knowing what the problem is as far as that warning light is concerned. The latest suggestion is that it could be ECU related but who knows? On top of that is the flywheel looming potentially.

I can't wait to get rid of the damn thing. As I say lovely to drive but it's just tick tick tick until the next problem. There are days I sit in that damn thing and yearn for my Citroen AX which was my first car.

Yours,

One depressed Jaguar owner.