Nissan X-Trail - Nissan X-Trail 2001-2007 Diesel turbos - A_Lexbury

Hi all,

Well following on from my last post (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=99310), I am looking at 2.2L dCi from around 2003-2005. I tested one the other day and apart from driving fine and being a really nice example, there was a whining noise from the engine.

I have had turbos before, (my fav was a BMW 525 E34), but not one of these X-Trails. The whine was pronounced, heard at gentle accelleration as well as hard, and also heard sometimes on the way down the revs too. There was also the sound of what can only be described as a dump valve (or whatever the technical term is).

There is no smoke whatsoever from the exhaust and no other strange noises I could discern, such as a rattle. There did not seem to be a flat spot of power between 1-2k revs, although I did have to get it to 1500 to pull away or I'd stall it.

Is this all normal for these vehicles or was this a sign the turbo was on the way out? It had T30 in the VIN.

Thanks so much all

A

Nissan X-Trail - Nissan X-Trail 2001-2007 Diesel turbos - Ethan Edwards

Tried here?

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/index.php

Oh no, thanks. I'll browse.

Nissan X-Trail - Nissan X-Trail 2001-2007 Diesel turbos - xtrailman

I would go for 2004 models onwards, the engine had a power increase to 134bhp (136hp).

Along with extra torque. I've never heard a whine from the one i had that i can recall, but the engine itself can sound very crude when cold, this is normal, and the engine has very stroung torque at low revs, i also dont recall any flat point.

The more powerfull engine was available late 2003.

Ensure a full service history, the fuel filter and brake fluid should be changed every two years, or around 23K miles.

Thanks everyone for all your help and info. I decided on a 2006 2.2 dCi so now part of the X-Trail gang. Fingers crossed!

A