Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, Totyota Avensis - Corrolla, Avensis or Accord? - Toast and Marmite

I'm looking to replace my Zafira B with a more reliable and economical motor for between 3 - 4k. After plenty of research both on here and on Reliabilty Index, I've pretty much narrowed down to either a Corolla, an Avensis or an Accord with the Mazda 6 as possibly a wild card.

Until I move house, it will be doing around 500 miles per week, but after that will be pretty much limited to short journeys with only 1 or 2 longer 'thrashes' a month, which possibly rules out a diesel, (unless anyone can advise otherwise?)

One issue that's cropped up appears to be the Avensis and it's thirst for oil - anyone got any other advice before I finally make a decision. (And yes, I've asked the long haired general about looking at Skoda's but can't budge her.)

Thanks All.

Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, Totyota Avensis - Corrolla, Avensis or Accord? - Auristocrat

First thoughts are that with the Corolla and Avensis, you're looking at two distinct sizes - the Corolla being C segment (Golf sized) and the Avensis (Accord and 6) being D segment (Passat sized). Will the Corolla be big enough - if so why not look at the Civic and Mazda 3 as well.

Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, Totyota Avensis - Corrolla, Avensis or Accord? - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm looking to replace my Zafira B with a more reliable and economical motor for between 3 - 4k. After plenty of research both on here and on Reliabilty Index, I've pretty much narrowed down to either a Corolla, an Avensis or an Accord with the Mazda 6 as possibly a wild card.

Until I move house, it will be doing around 500 miles per week, but after that will be pretty much limited to short journeys with only 1 or 2 longer 'thrashes' a month, which possibly rules out a diesel, (unless anyone can advise otherwise?)

One issue that's cropped up appears to be the Avensis and it's thirst for oil - anyone got any other advice before I finally make a decision. (And yes, I've asked the long haired general about looking at Skoda's but can't budge her.)

Thanks All.

Mazda 6 petrol would be a suitable choice - reliable and reasonably economical. I ran a 2005 one for just over 2 years, doing about 400-450 miles per week with the occasional longer thrash. Took it to the Highlands and back with all my family in it and it was very comfy- no luggage between feet either! I chose it because it was a good motorway cruiser with enough poke, for a low insurance premium. It cost me a sniff under £4k and I took it up to about 105k miles on the clock.

However, many would consider this to be diesel territory and diesel 6's should be avoided in the £3-4k price bracket due to a catalogue of issues well documented on here. I didn't buy a diesel because any in my price band were too old or decrepit. I couldn't stretch to an equivalent one to my petrol money-wise. Nice looking car too and I geniunely never needed anything more than a headlight bulb and, when I got over 104k on the clock, some new wheel bearings.

Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, Totyota Avensis - Corrolla, Avensis or Accord? - corax

One issue that's cropped up appears to be the Avensis and it's thirst for oil - anyone got any other advice before I finally make a decision.

The oil consumption problem only affected the Avensis up to 2003.

Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, Totyota Avensis - Corrolla, Avensis or Accord? - Toast and Marmite

Thanks guys,

Seems most are agreed with HJ about older diesels' now and potential pitfalls, so that issue has been pretty much put to bed now and I'll be going for petrol.

Mazda 3 suggestion - I did take a look and was sorely tempted, as the cabin is a very nice place to be, but rear leg room is a big factor - I'm 6'5" and I have a rapidly growing son and a tall wife!

I do like the Civic - but I just can't picture myself in one. Stupid reason I know, but I can't really describe my reason it's not on my list better than that. (But if I come across one, I promise to at least sit in it!)

What sort of MPG did you get from the Mazda 6 Bobbin?

And thanks for the Avensis info - will look at 04 plates and beyond only.

Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, Totyota Avensis - Corrolla, Avensis or Accord? - Bobbin Threadbare

What sort of MPG did you get from the Mazda 6 Bobbin?

I think about 38-39mpg, but let's say that I'm not the sort of person who drives with economy at the forefront of her mind, so I think that could be bettered by a point or two. I will also add that my husband is 6'3" and he always found the 6 to be spacious and comfortable; no squahsed up legs or head touching the ceiling.

That's still 5mpg better than my mine, which adds up to a tenner a week! Not such a big factor anyway, as I'll be moving, (though still enough to make me drop the Accord from my list!)