Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - Emilysmum

How often do my discs and drums need replacing on my Citroen C3? A brake check at Kwik Fit on Saturday revealled that I need both replacing. They were both replaced by Kwik Fit in 2008 following a service and MOT. In the meantime I have done 40K miles, mainly on the motorway. However I have just moved to the country, don't go above 50 and use my brakes much more often!

As I am a single girl, I just want to try and make sure that Kwik Fit aren't trying to pull a fast one!

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - thunderbird

Go to a real garage not one full of 16 year olds on commission instructed to rob everybody who goes through the door.

Wife once went in to get a puncture fixed in her "real" Mini many years ago. When she went to pay they told her the front pads were nearly worn out and needed immediately replacing. Luckily she was no mug and pointed out the car was 6 months old and had done less than 5,000 miles. Only been back once since and I don't think I was too popular after I told them just to do what I had asked them to.

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - Emilysmum

I only took it to Kwik Fit as I had the last pair of brake pads from them, so I knew I could get them replaced for free!

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - Robin the Technician

Hi,

I would say its highly unlikely you need new drums on a 40k mileage car. Discs and pads do wear out and probably at 40k you are getting to the point of replacement. However, assuming you've had an MOT in the last 12 months, they would have reported worn pads/ discs excess wear etc. If they didn't (and it would help to know when the MOT was and the recorded mileage) then it probably doesn't need doing. I agree that a proper garage not filled with 16 year olds on commision for a second opinion is certainly worth exploring.

MOT date and mileage please plus your current mileage...I can then evaluate if you need to do anything.

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Robin, thank you.

Last MOT April 26th 2012, recorded milage 92,734

Current milage 101,300 (approx)

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - Collos25

9k is a lonk way and as far as the MOT is concerned it will probably be the difference between an advisory and being ok its a fine line,40k for a set of discs is a good life and i would replace them for the minimal cost that they are and you would not change discs without renewing the pads.

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - skidpan

"However, assuming you've had an MOT in the last 12 months, they would have reported worn pads/ discs excess wear etc"

During an MOT they do not dismantle and inspect the internals of the drums or even report pads that are getting near the end of their life. On the MOT they only check braking efficiency and condition of hoses and free movement of mechanisms. If they pass one day the pads, discs, shoes, drums could come to the end of their useful life the next day.

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - bathtub tom

>>During an MOT they do not dismantle and inspect the internals of the drums

Do you think Kwik Fit do?

>>or even report pads that are getting near the end of their life.

Oh yes they do. I'm sure I'm not the only one to receive an advisory for this.

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - skidpan

>>During an MOT they do not dismantle and inspect the internals of the drums

Do you think Kwik Fit do?

>>or even report pads that are getting near the end of their life.

Oh yes they do. I'm sure I'm not the only one to receive an advisory for this.

No idea if Kwik Fit strip them or not but they are famous for conning people to get unneccesary work carried out.

You may get an advisory on the front pads if they are getting low on friction material but if they pass the efficiency test on the rollers its a pass.

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - Robin the Technician

Hi,

thanks for the info. 9k is enough to possibly need new pads & discs - however I really would question the need to replace drums after only 40k of use. Someone here has already mentioned that the rear brakes only do about 20% of the braking and that's correct. MOT testers DO tell you if discs and pads are worn excessively...I'm looking at an advisory notice for my Son's Mazda a couple of years ago - so I have hard evidence of that.

I strongly advise you to take it to a decent garage for them to give it the once over and advise you accordingly.

I do think Kwik fit are pulling the wool over your eyes - try somewhere else - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - Cyd

firstly, I am going to assume that when you write "discs and drums" you actually meant "discs and pads".

So we have here a set of discs and pads that have covered c40k over 4 years. About 10k pa, so I'm also assuming the car is being used pretty much daily.

I would say that 40k/4yrs is a good life for the pads. You obviously know that they need replacing or you wouldn't have gone to KF in the first place.

However, in my opinion (bearing n mind that we cannot see your discs from here), I would suggest it is unlikely that your discs need replacing as well. Discs do wear as well as pads, but you should be able to get 2 or 3 sets of pads per set of discs.

There are factors that could lead to the need for disc replacement at this low mileage. Leaving the car stood outside for days on end when the discs can get badly rusted is one. Using the car daily scrubs off light overnight rust easily stopping the corrosion eating into the discs too quickly. Also if there is excessive scoring due to dirt or any cracking then the discs will need replacing.

What you should ask:

Ask what is the new disc thickness for your model?
Ask what is the minimum specified disc thickness for your model?

The difference between these two figures tells you the maximum permitted wear. About 3mm (1.5mm per face) would be typical

Ask, what is the actual thickness of the discs on your car? This requires the mechanic to actually get some tools out!!

The difference between this figure and the new thickness will tell you the actual wear on your discs. If it is half the permitted maximum or less, then you can safely put a new set of pads in (unless there are other reasons for changing them as above).

This should help you question any advice you are given. I would echo the advice given above: find a small local independant garage. Use recommendation from friends/colleagues/neighbours.

Why not let us know what area you live in, someone here may be able to recommend a garage. Or use the HJ Good Garage guide (see links at the top of the page).

Actually I really did mean Discs & Drums. I've got discs & pads on the front and drums and shoes on the back, according to Kwik Fit. I had all replaced in 2008 by Kwik Fit and now they say they need doing again.

Hhhmm! Didn't find that post useful then, huh?

Yes I did, thank you very much !

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - mark

If you bought the last set from Kwik Fit are they not covered by their "Brakes Guarantee"?

(extract lifted from their website)

"Kwik Fit guarantees purchased brake pads or shoes against accidental damage, wear and defects for as long as you own your car, provided you authorise all work identified as being required, during or at any future brake inspection".

I don't know when they started this but it would be mildy funny if you are covered, they would hoist by their own petard and all that as you drive off with a free set of pads, discs or whatever.

As always

Mark

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - galileo

Pads and shoes may be covered, but discs and drums aren't, are they? And labour for changing discs and drums will be additional to pad/shoe change so probably more lightening of the wallet.

Edited by galileo on 28/01/2013 at 22:56

Drums and shoes should last a long long time. 100,000 miles easily. This is because the rear brakes only do about 20% of the braking, and not even that under very light braking. Especially in such a light car.

Are KF expecting you to pay for a full set of discs, pads, drums and shoes? Or are they offering to replace them under their guarantee as mentioned by Mark above?

We know you need new pads and you might need new discs. But drums and shoes after 40k? Extremely unlikely IMO (unless there's some other mechanical failure like a fluid leak). But, of course, if they're gonna change them FOC..........

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - galileo

The Kwikfit free replacement is pads and shoes only, according to their website.

How much do you think discs, drums and labour would cost?

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - mark

Drums are available for £59.00 each here

www.buypartsby.co.uk/buy/CITROEN/C3/1.4/2003/__/15.../

Though most probably not needed.

Discs are £11.56 a pair

www.buypartsby.co.uk/buy/CITROEN/C3/1.4/2003/__/13.../

Pads are between £12 and £19 a set depending on type.

www.buypartsby.co.uk/buy/CITROEN/C3/1.4/2003/__/12.../

Factor in £45 p/h for fitting at a local independent say a couple of hours

Probably a lot less all told than KF who do not charge labour they just inflate the product price with an horrendous mark up.

As always

Mark

Edited by mark on 29/01/2013 at 12:20

I also agree with those who state that worn pads should result in an advisory at MoT. I have had one myself.

Of course, an MoT should not be relied upon as a substitute for regular maintenance by an experienced technician.

Em should find a local garage. She may have to pay a few $$s for an inspection (some disassembly may be required), but it should be money well spent for solid advice.

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - andy815

If you are not getting any vibration from front or rear under braking you dont seem to need new discs or drums, brake linings maybe. My last car did 70k on rear linings and it was an auto ( more braking).

Thank you all for your helpful advice. Today my car has had another brake check, and guess what? There is nothing wrong with my Drums and Shoes!

It's going to be an expensive couple of months as my exhaust fell off this morning :(

Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4Hdi - Citroen C3 Brakes - advice from Kwik Fit - Collos25

"If you are not getting any vibration from front or rear under braking you dont seem to need new discs"

Not true you should learn a little bit more about discs before you make incorrect statements that could result in danger if your advice was followed.