Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - A_Lexbury

Hi all,

Having read this site for weeks now I am considering purchasing a 2003-2006 Nissan X-trail and just wondered if anyone out there can offer advice?

I have read the forums and advice and notice that they are highly thought of but the diesels suffer more problems than the petrol ones. Also it seems that the petrol 2.0L gets the same mpg as the 2.5L, which seems odd to me.

I won't be using it for towing but as a normal road car/load lugger with the off road capabilities for times when the weather is similar to recent as I will be living in the countryside/just out of town.

My questions are:

a) Are the diesels really as bad as reported? If so I can't really justify the additional potential cost of getting them fixed versus the savings over petrol.

b) Is the petrol fuel economy really around 29mpg? I would expect this to be lower for some reason and assume its definitely so when using the 4WD?

Anything else you can volunteer would be great, and many thanks for any assistance up front!

A

Top Reply

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - Collos25

The X trail is not Renault built or designed it is Nissan with a Nissan 2.0 or 2.5 petrol engine or the 2.2 Nissan diesel chain driven engine or they are in Germany.I cannot think of anything worse as a Discovery in any guise complete disaster as far as everything is concerned constantly bottom of any reliability lists forever breaking down and electrics Edison would turn his nose up at.

All Replies

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - motorprop

I ran a 2004 2.5 Top Spec Auto for 3 years and 29 mpg is about right. Car was faultless. 2.0 litre not powerful enough for the frame weight. Consider BMW X3 of same period , their 2.5 petrols are cheap to buy.

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - Hugo {P}

Personally I would avoid the Nissans from around the 2000 mark - but that's just my view!

They are Renault engineered and built. My van is causing me problems at the moment and there are a host of usual issues with many of these.

If you're even thinking of the diesel X Trail you could do a lot worse than thinking about the Discovery Series 2. You can get a good 53 plate one for around £4.5K once you know what to look for. The Disco is bigger but the TD5 engine, looked after and running properly is an excellent power unit. If you don't like the power curve you can get them remapped reasonably cheaply - just check this out with your insurer

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - Collos25

The X trail is not Renault built or designed it is Nissan with a Nissan 2.0 or 2.5 petrol engine or the 2.2 Nissan diesel chain driven engine or they are in Germany.I cannot think of anything worse as a Discovery in any guise complete disaster as far as everything is concerned constantly bottom of any reliability lists forever breaking down and electrics Edison would turn his nose up at.

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - RT

Deleted by OP

Edited by RT on 26/01/2013 at 17:22

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - carr

I have a 2003 2.2 Diesel X Trail with 100,000 miles. I've had it for 5 years since 40,000 miles.

It has the Nissan chain cam engine. After 2003 they fitted Renault belt cam engines. These engines originally had intercooler problems but I think they are better now. I'd imagine you'll hear more about problems with the diesels because the petrols are rarer.

My only engine troubles have been associated with fuel filters that need annual replacement and the EGR valve which needed a half hour job to clean. It has never failed to start or broken down. The engine has loads of torque and 2000 rpm is usually enough to keep up with non motorway traffic.

Non servoce replacement bits have been rear wheel calipers, front shockers and front pads.

It does high 30's maybe 40 mpg. I occasionaly use the 4WD drive mode mostly for snow or wet roads. I don't find it is particularly good off road.

It's a 'yes' for me.

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - xtrailman

The T30 xtrail is a Nissan chain cam engine.

From 2004 some T30 diesels required new intercoolers fitting, and some if they didnt have the recall booste sensor fitted could blow the turbo.

I had a 2004 diesel 134 bhp SVE for 4 years with no problems other than the intercooler changed in the first year to a non crimped tpye, the former leak oil that deposits from the engine.

My lad ran the car for a further two years then started to have intermitant engine problems, probably because hes useless at getting the proper serviceing done.

At present i have a T31 2L diesel chain cam renault engined xtrail Aventura Exployer, that apart from a seat swab being changed in the 2nd year, has been faultless.

I can recommened either model, but the lastest model is more upmarket.

Well thanks very much for your insight all, X-Trail seems a good bet, and I need something to get my windsurf stuff in and be able to get off the beach!

Also seen Kia Sportage/Hyundai Tuscon I'll look into, but good to know the X-Trail is highly rated.

Many thanks

A

Have a look at the following HJ Reviews

2001-2007 www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/x-trail-2001/

"Marred by diesel engine failures, especially turbo failures on 136."

2007-on www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/x-trail-2007/

"new 2.0 dCi 150 short of lowdown pull, has been trouble with DPFs on diesels."

HJ's words, not mine !

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - xtrailman

Only the early 2007/8 models had the dash DPF light come on, which required a 20 min run with revs over 2K, to burn the soot away, clean the filter.

My 2009 short journey car has never seen a DPF light on, the later models had a software update.

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - Falkirk Bairn

I bought one of the last T30s - on clearance after new model came out in 2007.

5 years, no repairs whatsoever. 5 x services and 3 x MoTs.

Replaced in October 2012 as I needed an automatic.

There were no deals coming from any Scottish Nissan dealer so I voted with my feet and bought a CRV.......the CRV is good but I still have a soft spot for the X-trail.

I see some pre-reg X-trails available now but 4 months too late.

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - herald
We had a 2002 2.2di XTrail for five years, we used as a daily car and towed our caravan all over France, we never spent a penny on it (apart from tyres and service items). When we got rid of the caravan we also let the X trail go.
We px'd it for a Vw Passat and yes it's cheaper to run , but the x trail was much more fun to drive and own and we now wished we had stuck with it.
It's a thumbs up from me.
Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - corax

There were no deals coming from any Scottish Nissan dealer so I voted with my feet and bought a CRV.......the CRV is good but I still have a soft spot for the X-trail.

What did you prefer about the X-trail over your current CRV?

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - Ethan Edwards

We chose the XT over the CRV because it was better value, with a better 4wd system and was larger inside with more space for our dogs. Besides my wife hated the handbrake coming from out the dash. We've owned our XT from new since 2003 and have no plans to sell it on. HTH.

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - Falkirk Bairn

What did you prefer about the X-trail over your current CRV?

I always liked the T30 Tonka toy looks, the leather seat squabs on the T30 were longer/more comfortable, interior was lighter/airier in the X-trail for me at least. There is no lip to the boot.

Mind you I like the auto gearbox on the CRV - the auto makes it easier for me with my leg/feet issues. I still have the walking difficulties so we go out a lot less than previously/ cover fewer miles - down from say 12k to 6-8K per year.

The diesel/auto of the X-trail might have been a problem with DPFs

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - Sulphur Man

The wife ran an 06-reg (T30) 2.5 Auto Aventura from Oct 2008 until July 2011.

Completely faultless car, which she adored. Our car was tight and very impressive on M&S tyres in the snow of winter 09-10, when my wife was heavily pregnant and it got us to the hospital without issue.

The 2.5 petrol Auto T30 is built entirely in Japan.

I'd say 29mpg was a bit optimistic for ours, more like 25-27, but then it mainly did shopping runs.

We'd still have it now, only we needed more seats and lower running costs, especially tax, so p/ex'd for an FR-V (equally great car although my wife would still take another petrol auto X-Trail).

Personally, I dont see the T31 X-Trail as much of a progression over the T30. Whilst the T31 has excellent chain-cam diesel engines, and a plusher interior, it's packaging is markedly worse. Rear seat space, especially headroom, is not great in the T31, considering the size of the car. I'm just on 6 foot tall, and my head brushed the roof lining. Access isnt great either, with a lot of rear wheel arch intrusion. However, the pay off is an enormous boot.

Nissan hit something of a bullseye with the design of the T30 - great all-round visibility, interior space and access, and far better looking than the slightly dopey-faced, slab-sided T31.

It goes without saying that both cars are completely convincing AWD vehicles. Certainly not 'soft-roaders'

It goes without saying that both cars are completely convincing AWD vehicles. Certainly not 'soft-roaders'

Do you mean the X-Trail is as good an off-road alternative to a LR Discovery or Toyota Landcruiser ? Even LR's very capable Freelander 2 is classed as a "soft-roader" - to distinguish it from even more capable off-roaders.

Edited by RT on 28/01/2013 at 10:05

I think we have different interpretation of 'soft roader'.

I personally wouldnt call the Freelander 2 a 'soft roader'. It's a highly capable AWD vehicle, proven on LR test tracks alongside Disco, Rangey, Defender.

Soft-roaders are platform-sharing mainstream cars, disguised by oversized bumpers and jacked-up springs, covering little or no dedicated AWD running gear underneath, wearing the same boots as their hatchback fathers.

Peugeot 3008 is the definitive example.

I think we have different interpretation of 'soft roader'.

I personally wouldnt call the Freelander 2 a 'soft roader'. It's a highly capable AWD vehicle, proven on LR test tracks alongside Disco, Rangey, Defender.

Soft-roaders are platform-sharing mainstream cars, disguised by oversized bumpers and jacked-up springs, covering little or no dedicated AWD running gear underneath, wearing the same boots as their hatchback fathers.

Peugeot 3008 is the definitive example.

We certainly do have a different interpretation !

What you describe are crossovers.

Soft-road SUVs include LR Freelander 2 and Nissan X-Trail - IMHO.

Nissan X-Trail - Possible Purchase - Advice - thunderbird

Soft-road SUVs include LR Freelander 2 and Nissan X-Trail - IMHO.

Totally agree. They also include Toyota Rav 4, Kia Sportage, Ford Kuga, Hyundai ix35 and possibly the Skoda Yeti. But to qualify they must be the 4 x 4 variant, the 2WD ones are just ordinary cars IMHO.

Hyundai no longer market any SUVs - the iX35 and 2013 Santa Fe are both marketed as crossovers - 4wd is only on certain models and the Santa Fe is lowered compared to the old model, same on the Kia Sorento.

Worth a mention that VBH and Fifth gear extensively tested a lot of soft roaders round a track and in the muddy stuff. The XT (T30) convincingly beat the Freelander1 in both areas, ie in the muddy hill climb test. So I remain utterly unconvinced of the '4x4xfar' boasting. In fact it went on to beat all the rest as well. Including the original Hyundai Santa Fe. As to Freelander / LR build quality......

But that was the Freelander 1 and original Santa Fe - modern versions are like chalk and cheese.

BMW did LR no favours on quality but Ford and Tata have.

Yes indeed it was some time ago but it involved the model I have the being the T30 so it's relevant to me AND to the OP as he was looking at the T30. The XT kicked them out the park. Course if you have unliimited money and start including Mercedes G Wagen or OverFinch RR or some other overpriced stuff then of course you get different results. Real world non plutocrat affordable used then the T30's continue to be great VFM.

Incidentally the XT also beat a dozen others in the same test....the CRV, Rav4, Sorento etc ....

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 28/01/2013 at 14:59

Perhaps a sensible boundary would be that if the vehicle has a manually-activated switch, or button, marked LOCK for the 4WD system, it's not soft. The XT passes that test.

I just 'auto-tradered' a T30 2.5 Auto. There's some promising examples out there for around £6K. Provided one can stomach the road tax, what a lot of great car for the money.

Perhaps a sensible boundary would be that if the vehicle has a manually-activated switch, or button, marked LOCK for the 4WD system, it's not soft. The XT passes that test.

My Santa Fe's got that - it's very capable on the slippy stuff, with the right tyres anyway, but it's still a soft-roader, you couldn't take it places a Defender would go.

The VED for the 2.5 auto is obscene isn't it? If you get one pre sometime in 2006 it's only Band K post 2006 then it's Band L. Which is a big DIS-incentive to sell on my old one. That and the fact it gives me the petrol equivalent of 40mpg cos I run mine on LPG (with flashlube).

Incidentally did you know the Lock setting automatically disengages once you go over 30. My XT shod on the proper oem rubber has let me drive with confidence in the recent slippery stuff commuting 75miles round trip every day. Back to my other car (a hybrid) now that the weather has moderated.

Hi Ethan,

Yes I was looking at the T30, thanks for clarifying :)

A