Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Dingle232
Would someone be kind enough to clarify the position regarding the requirement to use OEM parts to maintain warranty?

I have a 60 plate i30 which still has around 2.5 years left on the manufacturer warranty but needs brake discs and pads all round. OEM parts cost in excess of £300 so a dealer job is likely to set me back a fair bit more with labour. Using an independent and non OEM parts will obviously be cheaper but I'm concerned that Hyundai would not then honour the warranty?

I'm happy to pay it if I have to but not if I don't.

I've been given conflicting advice - anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks in advance.
Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - bazza

You will certainly have to use OEM parts, no matter where you go to have them fitted. It's reasonable for the manufacturer to insist on that. Your safest option by far is to have the work done at the Hyundai dealer, to avoid any quibbles later on if you need to call upon the warranty.

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Auristocrat

Quote from the Hyundai routine maintenance and service information:

"The vehicle owner may choose an independent service provider to provide routine maintenance and service, and to fit alternative parts, however any parts used that may affect the vehicles warranty, must be of an equivalent quality to the Hyundai genuine parts."

Basically it is your choice where the parts are sourced from and who does the work, but if you use alternative parts, I suppose the onus is on you to prove their suitability should there be a subsequent warranty claim on the brakes, and the parts used questioned.

Having said that brake pads and discs are considered as being consummables, and wouldn't be covered now under your new vehicle warranty.

Edited by Auristocrat on 21/01/2013 at 21:43

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Cyd

Why not ask your independant to use Mintex discs and pads. Mintex are a large oem supplier and I don't think anyone could argue with their quality.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m33b0s0p0/MINTEX_Brake_Product_Range

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - RT

To maintain the warranty, you need to use parts approved by the manufacturer - manufacturers only approve their own products.

To need new discs in 2.5 years you must have done big mileage or used the brakes very hard.

If you want the benefit of the long Hyundai warranty you really need to commit to paying dealer prices for the length of the warranty - they're not that high if you shop around and negotiate

My neighbours son/daughter in law have had the front brake discs replaced twice on their 11 reg Polo - once at the first service (done at 11,000 miles) under warranty, and again at the second service (22,000 miles). Car is used by a mobile hairdresser - mainly driven around town. Both times the discs have been 'blued' due to overheating. First car they've had where the discs have had to be replaced.

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Paul87

Sounds like they have been riding the brakes, or not bedded properly

To the OP £300 isnt that bad for an all round at a dealer. You can get near that price for just the front set at a VW dealer. I would certainly stick with the dealer, it will stop them trying to wriggle out of any future warranty claims.

To maintain the warranty, you need to use parts approved by the manufacturer - manufacturers only approve their own products.

To need new discs in 2.5 years you must have done big mileage or used the brakes very hard.

If you want the benefit of the long Hyundai warranty you really need to commit to paying dealer prices for the length of the warranty - they're not that high if you shop around and negotiate

I am also surprised it needs them but I have only owned the car 2 months. Braking gives a grinding sound and the discs feel like eggs as you can feel the braking is not even. I think I'll play safe and pay the dealer cost, much as that's gonna hurt.
Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - galileo

Dingle, my 09 reg i30 had done 28000 miles at last dealer service, original discs and pads were still OK so I'm curious to know how many miles yours had done to need a full set?

Dingle, my 09 reg i30 had done 28000 miles at last dealer service, original discs and pads were still OK so I'm curious to know how many miles yours had done to need a full set?

Hi there. The car has done 22k miles.

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - thunderbird

Problem with a used car is you do not know how the previous users drove it.

Yes you have to use OEM parts to maintain warranty but since brakes are not covered by warranty OEM parts need not be used.

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Collos25

"manufacturers only approve their own products."

I do not think that is quite right seeing that manufacturers of cars make very few parts themselves .

The ad on ebay shows Ferodo and Mintex as OEM for Hyundai and I would presume Kia.

Edited by Collos25 on 22/01/2013 at 10:25

Car manufacturers do often use big component suppliers but there's usually a difference in branding and part number even if the product is identical. There may well be parts made by Ferodo/Mintex that they sell as aftermarket with their own brand/part number on - as well as supplying Hyundai and Kia, separately, with identical parts apart from the branding/part number.

The point is that Hyundai has no control over the specification of parts sold under the Ferodo/Mintex name so is very unlikely to approve them.

Most big name component suppliers have multiple specifications available and may choose to sell a cheaper version themselves.

Baked beans made by Heinz for Asda won't necessarily be the same as those made by Heinz for Sainsbury's or indeed sold under the Heinz label - the same principle applies to car parts.

The ad on ebay shows Ferodo and Mintex as OEM for Hyundai and I would presume Kia.

In all fairness I do not think that just because its says "OEM for Hyundai" on e-bay (the home of high quality fake Chinese brake components) I would believe it for one minute.

Agree that manufacturers make very few parts themselves but OEM parts generally come in OEM boxes. As siad above not all beans are beans.

I am non the wiser - within this thread there's advice that says OEM parts must be used to maintain the warranty and also that, as brakes are not covered under warranty, non OEM parts can be used without invalidating it. I think this just highlights the confusion for all people in a similar position to I to be honest....not clear at all.

I am not gonna waste my time asking the dealer the same question as I know what answer I will get. £300 + VAT was for parts only by the way - no labour included. Feels like a lot of dosh that folks.

I am non the wiser - within this thread there's advice that says OEM parts must be used to maintain the warranty and also that, as brakes are not covered under warranty, non OEM parts can be used without invalidating it.

Its simple surely. Since the dealer wants you to pay for brake replacement it shows it is not warranty work, if it was it would be free.

Whoever replaces the brakes will give you a warranty on the parts and workmanship while fitting them but not for them wearing out. Since its not warranty work you can use whatever parts you want to, even cheapo Chinese cheese items should you wish to risk life and limb.

The only potential problem using an independant to do the work would be if they damaged another component fitting the brakes that would normally be under Hyundai warranty, you would then find that Hyundai washed their hands since it would not be weara nd tear and then you would have a fight with the indy. This would apply to any make and not just Hyundai.

But by having work done on the brakes cannot in any way affect the warranty on the engine, gearbox, electrics etc. As above this would apply to any make and not just Hyundai.

Edited by thunderbird on 22/01/2013 at 16:51

S G Petch (a Hyundai dealer) has the following on their ebay shop which gives some indication as to whether the prices given by your dealer are priced correctly:

http://hyundai-i30.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/parts/detail/category=ROOT-service/engine=238/part=4146

http://hyundai-i30.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/parts/detail/category=ROOT-service/engine=238/part=4146

The point is that Hyundai has no control over the specification of parts sold under the Ferodo/Mintex name so is very unlikely to approve them.If there was a problem Hyudai would have the advertisment removed.

But they do - you cannot advertise that a manufacture approves your parts if it doesn´t.

I thing Hyundai make around 55% of the car themselves it is acttually quite hgh.

Edited by Collos25 on 22/01/2013 at 17:50

The point is that Hyundai has no control over the specification of parts sold under the Ferodo/Mintex name so is very unlikely to approve them.

But they do - you cannot advertise that a manufacture approves your parts if it doesn´t.

I thing Hyundai make around 55% of the car themselves it is acttually quite hgh.

Excluding lubricants, the term "approved by X manufacturer" is rarely used - more likely the term used is "to fit X model" which doesn't need approval by the car manufacturer.

And unscrupulous parts manufacturers will say whatever they want !!

The adverts state that these parts are OEM parts the companies are Mintex and Feredo.

It does not say approved just that they are OEM parts .

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - youngalistai

My Hyundai i30 went in for a independent 30 miles service d the guy said the discs are worn out and they were he said they had another 10.000 miles at most but car is coming up for m.o.t so I phoned up the Hyundai dealer who quoted £345 14" £355 15" Inc pads and fittinglus v.a.t no doubt. He didn't know which size discs they were although he had my reg and couldn't tell me who made them just that they were OEM standard. Seeing as your post was 2013! Not much of an increase for 8 years!. The only increase I have found is the complete lies every garage tells you. It's taken me about 3 hours on and off to figure out a good disc and the crap ones they put on at Kwik fit ect.

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Galad

I have a 2019 Hyundai I30 with just 11k miles so too early to comment on wear and tear on brakes. But I've been driving over 40 years with new cars and I've never had to replace discs in all that time. I usually get up to 70k miles on pads. Why? Because I manage my braking, anticipating when I have to stop rather than slamming on the brakes at the last moment. I've lost count of the arguments with SWMBO and my son and daughter about racing up to a junction then applying the brakes at the last minute. My daughter has just worn through front pads on her 2020 Golf at just 13k miles.

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Terry W

If you want 100% certainty re all aspects of the warranty, get the manufacturer to do the work.

Realistically there is almost no connection between brake discs/pads and the rest of the car. It wold be irrelevant to any engine. gearbox or electronic failures for which you may claim. I would assume the dealer would also see it this way - but no guarantees.

More fundamental - with brakes and steering components priority is best quality rather than cheap - if it costs an extra ~£100 to use the dealer this is ~£4 per month. Trivial.

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - bathtub tom

I manage my braking, anticipating when I have to stop rather than slamming on the brakes at the last moment. I've lost count of the arguments with SWMBO and my son and daughter about racing up to a junction then applying the brakes at the last minute. My daughter has just worn through front pads on her 2020 Golf at just 13k miles.

An older and wiser head taught me that every time I use the brakes I'm wasting petrol on that speed I used to get up to the speed I'm now braking down from. Stood me in good stead.

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Dag Hammar

Well I’m confused by the OP’s first line. A 60 plate with around two and a half years warranty remaining.
A car with a 60 plate would be more than ten years old now so I cannot see how it would still have any manufacturers warranty remaining.

Or have I missed something ?

Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Metropolis.
The OPs post was in 2013
Hyundai i30 - OEM parts and warranty - Dag Hammar
The OPs post was in 2013

Thank you, I now can see that is the vital part I missed.

In future I’ll check the dates.

Edited by Dag Hammar on 27/09/2021 at 03:35