Honda FR-V 1.8 iVTEC Auto - Winter Tyres - User report - Sulphur Man

Thought I'd give a little user report on the performance of winter tyres today on a fairly typical FWD family car.

Car: Honda FR-V 1.8 iVTEC Auto.

Tyres: Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Mud & Snow, 195/65 R15 Rated HH

This is the second year of using these winter tyres on our family car, and today was their first encounter with significant, fresh snowfall. There's approx 2 inches of snow depth right now (11am) with snow continuing to fall.

We live in a cul-de-sac of three houses, approached by a road of approx. 100metres and a medium incline. The snow on our road was enough to defeat the neighbours FWD Citroen Picasso this morning after the school run. It's currently parked at the bottom.

However, the FR-V on winter boots ascended up to our house without any issue whatsoever. That's the first time I've driven winter tyres on a 2WD car on a snowbound road. Hugely impressed. As was the wife, who up until now felt that we would miss the ability of our old Nissan X-Trail in adverse weather. However, these tyres have proved that not to be the case.

Honda FR-V 1.8 iVTEC Auto - Winter Tyres - User report - Smileyman

Very good, I've not seen any mention of winter tyres in any of the news reports however if we are to become winter resiliant then this is the way to go. I've Nokian WRG2 winter tyres, but alas no snow at present, however I do recall in December 2010 these tyres were fine, no scary or difficult moments on snow or ice.

Anyone looking for more info on winter tyres here is a good reference site ,,,,,

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Honda FR-V 1.8 iVTEC Auto - Winter Tyres - User report - Sulphur Man

This particular model of FR-V comes with 17" alloys as standard. Rather than pay the increased cost of R17 winter tyres, I opted to buy a smaller R15 steel wheel with a higher profile, and cheaper, winter tyre size.

The total for winter wheels and fitting, ordered through MyTyres was £557 inc vat. We continue to use the local garage for the wheel swaps, who charge their minimum labour charge, 30mins, for replacing and inflating all four wheels each autumn and spring, cost £41 inc vat

The car averages about 5K miles over winter. Looking at the wear on the winter wheels, now on their second year of use, Id estimate there's perhaps 5 winters in them, so three to go after this one. Based on that estimation, the cost of winter rubber on replacement steel wheels, plus 1 hour's labour to swap the wheels twice, is £193 per annum. On top of that is a 2-3mpg hit on running the heavier tread of a winter tyre.

It's worth restating that, so far, the car has tackled the same snowy conditions and roads as our old X-Trail, also on Mud & Snow rubber, did. As I said in the OP, the wife was unconvinced that a change of tyres was going to compare to a dedicated 4x4 car, and the X-Trail is no 'soft roader', very capable. However, she's highly impressed, even commenting about how she can feel the winter tyres 'bite' through the snow when turning corners.

Honda FR-V 1.8 iVTEC Auto - Winter Tyres - User report - skidpan

We continue to use the local garage for the wheel swaps, who charge their minimum labour charge, 30mins, for replacing and inflating all four wheels each autumn and spring, cost £41 inc vat

I do it myself, takes 1/2 an hour and costs nothing, thats an £82 a year saving for an hours DIY.

Perhaps I should set myself up. Quite a nice little earner.

Honda FR-V 1.8 iVTEC Auto - Winter Tyres - User report - gordonbennet

I do it myself, takes 1/2 an hour and costs nothing, thats an £82 a year saving for an hours DIY.

You jack car up, remove all 4 wheels, strip refit balance inflate and refit all 4 tyres, then refit to car, all in 30 mins?

Work for one of the pit crews?

:-)

oops nearly missed the edit...i change my own over too, takes me about similar time.

couple of years and the savings have bought a decent trolley jack.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/01/2013 at 12:18

Honda FR-V 1.8 iVTEC Auto - Winter Tyres - User report - skidpan

You jack car up, remove all 4 wheels, strip refit balance inflate and refit all 4 tyres, then refit to car, all in 30 mins?

No strip, refit balance inflate etc required on OP's or my car since we both have extra wheels.

Its just a simple wheel swap.

No strip, refit balance inflate etc required on OP's or my car since we both have extra wheels.

Its just a simple wheel swap.

No sorry SP, i was being ironic hence the smiley, i'm the same as you just a wheel swap...however i spend half an hour washing the 'off' set thoroughly before storing in the garage, get all that accumulated muck and salt out.

30 mins strip and refit 4 tyres would be good going for even a pit crew on one normal tyre machine..;)

It's worth restating that, so far, the car has tackled the same snowy conditions and roads as our old X-Trail, also on Mud & Snow rubber, did. As I said in the OP, the wife was unconvinced that a change of tyres was going to compare to a dedicated 4x4 car, and the X-Trail is no 'soft roader', very capable. However, she's highly impressed, even commenting about how she can feel the winter tyres 'bite' through the snow when turning corners.

Remember M&S stamped on the tyres of your X-Trail means nothing in relation to cold weather.

Its purely a stamp meaning the tyre has a type of reasonably open tread pattern, unless the tyre has a 'snowflake' symbol embossed on the tyre it is not constructed with cold weather rubber compound.

Full winter spec on a proper 4x4 gives simply amazing traction, ironically enough your present car is safer on the icy road than the X Trail, which didn't have the benefit of winter compound during braking and cornering, as evidenced by your wife's 'feeling' the grip on the snow/ice.

Good to hear of your positive winter tyre experience, wouldn't be without them on my RWD car, a must if you need to stay mobile.

Honda FR-V 1.8 iVTEC Auto - Winter Tyres - User report - thunderbird
Remember M&S stamped on the tyres of your X-Trail means nothing in relation to cold weather.

Its purely a stamp meaning the tyre has a type of reasonably open tread pattern, unless the tyre has a 'snowflake' symbol embossed on the tyre it is not constructed with cold weather rubber compound.

The actual symbol for tyres approved to be used in parts of the world where "winter" tyres are mandatory is the "three peak mountain and snowflake" symbol.

www.etrma.org/activities/transport/winter-tyre