Volvo V70 - Speed Awareness Courses - squarecarman

My car insurance is due for renewal at the end of the month. My wife was caught speeding

by a camera and took up the offer of a speed awareness course (which she said was well worthwhile). I spoke to the enforcement office of the police (PSNI) and they are adamant that this is not a conviction and should not be declared to the insurance company. Some articles in the press e.g. Daily Mail's 'This is Money' would suggest otherwise. Any thoughts,advice anyone?

Volvo V70 - Speed Awareness Courses - FP

Someone better qualified than me (DVD?) will be able to say definitively, but as I understand it, if you are caught speeding you have committed an offence. Going on a speed awareness course means that the offence does not lead to a conviction.

Whether you need to disclose this to your insurer is another matter. If they want information about convictions only, then not. But perhaps it's best to err on the side of caution and tell them?

Volvo V70 - Speed Awareness Courses - Armitage Shanks {p}

IMO a speed awareness course is like being stopped by the police and "Cautioned" albeit a 4 hour caution in a classroom. It is NOT a conviction so one just needs to read the question on the insurance application very carefully. No point in telling an insurer if you don't have too, especially if they put your premium up 10% for your trouble!

Volvo V70 - Speed Awareness Courses - Dwight Van Driver

It will all come down to the small print in your Insurance Policy on what they except you to inform them.

Unlike a stop mentioned by AS this isan offence commited with all the necessary evidence but the disposal of the case is other than through a Court.

Mine is so worded that they expect to be informed as speed is increased risk to them.

dvd

Edited by Dwight Van Driver on 16/01/2013 at 14:19

Volvo V70 - Speed Awareness Courses - squarecarman

Thanks fo your input folks.I have spoken to my insurers and they say it doesn't count.

but at least I can sleep in bed at night knowing I've done the right thing!