Volvo s60 2.4 D5 - Hot starting problem Volvo S60 2.4 D5 - holmesdaren
Hi, I have bought a car today, drove it 28 miles to a supermarket and went shopping. Came back out after approx 45 minutes and the car would not start. Had to call out breakdown and he managed to get it started but only after about 2 hours later. Drove it home about 7 miles, tries to start it again and it just turned over until the battery started to go flat. Left it for another couple of hours, hooked it up to jump start it and it eventually started again, let it run for 10 minutes or so, stopped it and then it wouldnt start again. The seller is also not being very helpful. Any ideas on what it could be?
Volvo s60 2.4 D5 - Hot starting problem Volvo S60 2.4 D5 - unthrottled

Couple of obvious starters.

Someone's either changed the fuel filter and made a botch of it so that air is getting into the fuel system and preventing the fuel rail building up sufficient pressure, or...

...the high pressure pump is on its way out and the previous owner decided to get shot. Worn pumps struggle to build pressure when hot because the fuel is less viscous.

Volvo s60 2.4 D5 - Hot starting problem Volvo S60 2.4 D5 - Peter.N.

I would concur, if it starts again once it gets cold its probably the pump. Have a look on ebay as a new one will be expensive.

Volvo s60 2.4 D5 - Hot starting problem Volvo S60 2.4 D5 - galileo

Presume this was a private seller? If a trader, take it back and get your money back.

Thanks for the replies, the guy I bought it off is sort of a trader, sells a few cars now and then. He is getting his garage to look at it for me though but would not refund me my money. Will post back when I hear what it is. If it is the fuel filter would that not sort itself out? The car when going seems very good, pulls smoothly and very well, averaged nearly 60mpg for the 28 miles I drove it.

He's had the car since Saturday and still no news as to what it is, should I be concerned?????

Volvo s60 2.4 D5 - Hot starting problem Volvo S60 2.4 D5 - craig-pd130

Give them a call and find out what's happening. If they haven't looked at it yet, or are not sure what the problem is, get your money back.

What a nightmare!! Thanks for suggestions, turned out car had double the mileage on it than was advertised!! Finally managed to get most of my money back with a little help from trading standards.

Volvo s60 2.4 D5 - Hot starting problem Volvo S60 2.4 D5 - unthrottled

Unlucky-but a (relatively) good outcome at least.