Vauxhall corsa D 2007 1.4 SXi 16 V - Should I steer clear of this car? - nikkipole

Hi,

I've been to look at a Corsa D 1.4sxi 16v 2007 with the intention of buying. Its done 38000 miles and looks and sounds pristine, but when my OH has gone under the bonnet there was a noticable ticking sound. You couldn't hear it with the bonnet down. Also on removal of the oil cap there was yellow mayonnaise type goo on the bottom of the cap.
The dealer said it was nothing to worry about it was because there car hasn't been driven for a while and the ticking was commen on corsas....and the car had been checked.

Should I stear clear of this car or was what the dealer saying right?

Thanks

Vauxhall corsa D 2007 1.4 SXi 16 V - Should I steer clear of this car? - V4 Heaven
Hi,

I think that the very fact that you've raised the question means that you have some doubts about the car.

I'm not a fan of mayo in my engines. It goes to show a great deal of short journeys have been carried out and the oil may not have been changed regularly. Short journeys increase condensation in engines, reducing the effectiveness of the oil and can prematurely wear engines out. A combination of these may have led to premature camshaft wear - hence the ticking.

Corsa C suffered with a host of camshaft problems. HJ doesn't report the same with Corsa D. I don't like any engine noises. My 175,000 mile petrol engined Toyota doesn't make any engine noises.

As it's a popular car, there should be a fair few Corsa 1.4SXis to choose from so I would look elsewhere.

However, if your heart is set on the car, check FSH, check how old the oil is, maybe get this changed and ensure the car does regularly long runs (10 miles or more).

Edited by V4 Heaven on 10/01/2013 at 14:16

Vauxhall corsa D 2007 1.4 SXi 16 V - Should I steer clear of this car? - craig-pd130

The 1.2 and 1.4 petrol engines in the Corsa D (current shape) cars do make a characteristic ticking sound at idle, and it can come and go, irrespective of whether the car is hot or cold.

We recently bought a 2010 1.2 (82bhp model) with 15,000 miles up, and the ticking at idle is noticeable from inside the car, but oddly not when standing outside the car.

I was going to raise it with the supplying Vx dealer, but the Corsa 1.2 courtesy car I had while having a warranty job done also made the same ticking sound at idle. I've since driven another 1.2 petrol Corsa and that one 'ticked' at idle too.

As all of these cars are relatively low mileage, I reckon it's just a quirk of the engine type.

Re. the mayonnaise on the oil filler cap, it's common with Corsa petrols. They really do "all do that, sir". If the car's been on the dealer's forecourt for any length of time it will have had lots of cold starts while being shunted from place to place, which won't help.

Vauxhall corsa D 2007 1.4 SXi 16 V - Should I steer clear of this car? - Cyd

The ticking could be the injectors. The injectors on my vans HDi motor tick quite loudly - it's because they inject at very high pressure compared to petrol injectors.

Mayo may be due to condensation and short journeys, but also may be symptomatic of a head gasket problem. Was there any mayo in the coolant (or brown deposits on the inside of the expansion tank) which might support that theory?

If it's likely to be down to condensation, I would ask the supplier to perform a full oil change with a proper oil flush. When you pick it up the oil should then look clean and golden on the dipper.

And once you've bought it, follow HJs advice re oil change frequency.

Vauxhall corsa D 2007 1.4 SXi 16 V - Should I steer clear of this car? - bathtub tom

I think you'll find a Vauxhall corsa D 2007 1.4 SXi 16 V is petrol, not diesel (the
1.4 SXi 16 V gives it away).

Vauxhall corsa D 2007 1.4 SXi 16 V - Should I steer clear of this car? - Galad

Was helping my daughter select a nearly new Corsa D from main dealer. We looked at several excellet examples and all had mayo in the oil cap indicating that they engines had been turned over but not driven for some time. Bought a six month old 1.2 SXI and also one for SWMBO (both 2007 models) and both have been runnung well. Dealer had problemns detecting an oxygen sensor fault (replaced it 3 times) and also an electronic issue with interior lights (3 days nut under warranty). Don't recommend the 1.2 5door version though-underpowered.

Vauxhall corsa D 2007 1.4 SXi 16 V - Should I steer clear of this car? - 1litregolfeater

Well what can I suggest now.

Don't buy from a dealer thats 2 grand off for starters.

Don't buy a car with a ticking engine. Must be worth 2 grand?

So you get a Corsa D for £2000. Change the oil, change it again, keep your fingers crossed.

You must use 5w30 synth, no other will do. Brand and car is unimportant as you're going to be changing every 1000, then 2000, then 3000 miles until the ticking stops.

Having said that, some engines will always tick a bit when cold, just make sure you're not buying a car where the services have been done at the minimum or less, and the oil changes neglected.

Otherwise you may find to your regret, as countless others have, that the last cylinder in the oil line has suffered some amount of oil starvation and has worn rings.

If you can manage 4 grand off, you can happily contemplate a new engine.