Volkswagen Golf - Auxillary Belt - christatedavies

Hello, me again.

My wife's auxillary belt on her MK4 TDI is very squeelly, and obviously it needs replacing at some point.

My question is, if the belt 'snaps' will it do any damage to the engine? My cambelt went on my old car and the garage told me I was very lucky not to damage the engine.

If so I will get it replaced sharpish, if not, I shan't worry until next month, or when I have a spare weekend.

Cheers, Chris

Volkswagen Golf - Auxillary Belt - Collos25

The auxillary belt when it goes can in certain circumstances cause the cam belt to come off and total the engine, your call.For the sake of a few quid and half an hour I would replace it or find out why its making a noise in could quite well be a bearing going.

Thanks.

She is going to get it done, it was never a question of that, it was more of 'how quickly should we get it done'...

He did pour some water on the belt and it immediately stopped the squeel, so I would think its just old?

Many thanks again,

Chris

Volkswagen Golf - Auxillary Belt - Crasher

Get him to check the alternator pulley free wheel whilst the belt is off, the pulley should drive clockwise and slip anticlockwise. A failed pulley can make the belt noisy.

Thanks, I will do that.

Volkswagen Golf - Auxillary Belt - oldwrigley

That's great advice

we've seen so many alternator pulley failures that when they go they strip the thread on the alternator and in a couple of occasions the belt has wrapped around the crank pulley and stopped the engine, snapping the cambelt with predictable results

repeat after me

vorsprung durch tecnik

Volkswagen Golf - Auxillary Belt - Crasher

Why are you quoting an Audi advertising slogan in an attempt to criticise VW? "Progress through technology" is not responsible for failure of a pulley designed and made by an outside Tier 1 supplier such as INA, Continental or SKF and this is a technology used by most producers of 4 cylinder diesel engines, not just VAG.