Citreon C5 Exclusive Auto 2002 2.0i - Knocking under car. Hydro Suspension? - pinheadplanet

Hi

I've had a little leak in the hydraulic system for a while now and had topped it up with a couple of litres of LDS, but now I'm getting a knocking from under the car. It's not the exhaust as we've had that checked and it's solid, so I'm assuming it's related to my leaking fluid.

The leak may seem to be coming from the pipes enclosed in a plastic shield at the back of the engine, which are impossible for me to get to

Any suggestions?

And what will happen if it's just left, if all the fluid comes out of the system?

Thanks

K

Citreon C5 Exclusive Auto 2002 2.0i - Knocking under car. Hydro Suspension? - Collos25

Its quite simple I do not believe your asking the question.I would not want to be in the car when the suspension fluid drops to such a level that the suspension stops operating.

Citreon C5 Exclusive Auto 2002 2.0i - Knocking under car. Hydro Suspension? - pinheadplanet

Aren't there still struts and springs as on a non Citroen?

Citreon C5 Exclusive Auto 2002 2.0i - Knocking under car. Hydro Suspension? - countryroads

Nope, the spring and dampers are totally replaced by 'spheres' of oil and gas...

Have you checked the usual stuff? balljoints, anti roll bar links, rear axle bearings etc.

Not sure how similar they are to the older Citroens, but the BX and Xantia used to suffer from clunky front struts due to a lack of lubrication.

If all the fluid goes, it simply wont rise and will be basically undriveable, it will be on the bump stops and very unpleasant...it will still move, but getting them onto a recovery truck at that stage is tricky!

Edited by countryroads on 07/01/2013 at 13:41

Citreon C5 Exclusive Auto 2002 2.0i - Knocking under car. Hydro Suspension? - Peter.N.

As above. The anti roll bar drop links are the most likely suspects, quite cheap and not to difficult to fit. You can replace just the one that's knocking but its best to do the oher side as well unless its recently been replaced.

Citreon C5 Exclusive Auto 2002 2.0i - Knocking under car. Hydro Suspension? - Collos25

The knock is minor problem the leak is SERIOUS.

Anti Roll bar links, these are the bars behind the wheels, yes?

How do I tell if these are worn?

Ta

Citreon C5 Exclusive Auto 2002 2.0i - Knocking under car. Hydro Suspension? - countryroads

There is a metal bar that runs across the width of the vehicle, connected to the suspension at both sides with a vertical link...if you google it you will see pictures. They can be hard to diagnose with tension on the suspension, but basically if there is any movement at all in the fixing points they are done for.

As Collos says though, the leak is really not a good thing at all and does pose a safety risk...it can be pretty dear to have it sorted out though im afraid!

Just You Tube'd the roll bars, seems easy enough, I'll have a look in the light

And I've ordered some more LDS.

Oh, and are there anti roll bar links on the rear too?

Edited by pinheadplanet on 07/01/2013 at 15:57

Yep, very similar arrangement....its not too hard a job at all.