Golf MK3 GTI - Someone's just bumped my parked car - what to do? - general_piffle

Hi, new poster here but wanted some advice. Just went out to buy some milk and eggs for the morning and was surprised to see a car parked virtually on the bumper of my car (about 4 inches away) on the street outside my home on closer inspection there's a slight dent to the trim above my bumper and a scuff on the car that had parked so close.

The dent wasn't there when I used the car this afternoon. I took a few pictures on my phone and have left a note for the driver of the other car with my name and phone number explaining what must have happened and asking them to contact me or I'll contact the police.

Where do I stand and what should I do? Thanks!

Golf MK3 GTI - Someone's just bumped my parked car - what to do? - Dwight Van Driver

Not easy and full of problems unless you have a witness to the 'bump' or forensic evidence from the areas of damage to prove contact.

Section 170 Road Traffic Act 1988 requires where damage is caused to another vehicle for that driver to exchange details with any person requiring same and if not done to be reported to Police within 24 hrs. Both vehicles damaged both drivers should report.

So the matter is reported what does Plod do? Sends S172 name driver to other vehicles owner and then interviews. Firsly a very slight 'ding' in my opinion isn't going to go to Court for Due care, maybe fail to report but is the other drtiver going to admit. I doubt it. Independent/Forensic evidence required of contact. Further if the bump was slight was the other driver aware - if not then get out from fail to report charge.

Any CCTV in the area that may have caught the incident.?

Horrible as it may seem this is something for the Insurance to sort out or to protect no claims repair at own expense.

dvd

Golf MK3 GTI - Someone's just bumped my parked car - what to do? - countryroads

For the hassle involved, I would just have the car repaired myself in that situation.

Most people would just deny any involvement and in any case it would take ages and cost you money to prove it and sort it out anyway. Dont go through insurance for a MK3 Golf....sounds like there isnt much damage but you never know what their claims adjuster is going to say!

Golf MK3 GTI - Someone's just bumped my parked car - what to do? - RT

Although I can understand your logical conclusion, you've got no evidence that the car parked next to you actually caused the damage. Even a forensic examination of the paints involved wouldn't be conclusive as there will be other cars using the same batches of paint.

I think you have to accept that these things happen if you park in the street - and sometimes even when you have somewhere apparently more secure.

Either pay for the repair yourself, do it yourself literally or leave it as too minor to bother with.

Edited by RT on 07/01/2013 at 10:03

Golf MK3 GTI - Someone's just bumped my parked car - what to do? - jacks

Where do I stand and what should I do? Thanks!

Where do you stand?

You have " a slight dent to the trim above my bumper " - You don't know how it was done or by whom. No witnesses. Police (rightly) won't be interested in trivial matters like this, it's not like a crime has been committed. So tough basically.

What should I do ?

Nothing, It's a min. 6 year old car with a "slight dent to the trim". Forget it

Golf MK3 GTI - Someone's just bumped my parked car - what to do? - skidpan

It's a min. 6 year old car with a "slight dent to the trim". Forget it

Don't think so. VW stopped making the Mk 3 in 1997 thus its at least 15 years old.

Golf MK3 GTI - Someone's just bumped my parked car - what to do? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Even a forward-facing dash-cam fitted with sensors will register a bump outside of its field of vision, and put a time-stamp on it.

Golf MK3 GTI - Someone's just bumped my parked car - what to do? - skidpan

Even a forward-facing dash-cam fitted with sensors will register a bump outside of its field of vision, and put a time-stamp on it.

So the forward facing camera would record the moment of impact but in this instance since the impact was at the rear not record the actual incident.

Is it me or would that be kind of useless.