Ford Mondeo - 1999 Mondeo estate mk ii sudden starter failure - allgoodthings

1999 S reg estate, 103000 miles.

after 2.5 utterly trouble free years, sudden no go. Whirring sound from starter (not a click) and engine will not fire. Battery seems fine (lights good etc).

did move it around the driveway the other day (last time it was moved) which I've never done before, but apart from that nothing unusual. MoT coming up and it doesn't owe us anything, but it has always driven beautifully and started first time.

just put in £30 of petrol....no homestart cover either so would have to pay for a tow.

Haynes manual and online searches not much help. Any ideas most welcome, if only to avoid the difficulty of trying to buy a replacement without a useable car.

Ford Mondeo - 1999 Mondeo estate mk ii sudden starter failure - Collos25

You need to remove the starter motor connect it to a 12v supply and test to see if the starter is throwing the bendix forward this is the part that starts the car .If not you could try and clean it but I think you will end up purchasing a new motor.

Edited by Collos25 on 06/01/2013 at 15:54

Ford Mondeo - 1999 Mondeo estate mk ii sudden starter failure - Peter.N.

I would agree, you could try hitting the starter with a hammer as they can sometimes stick.

Ford Mondeo - 1999 Mondeo estate mk ii sudden starter failure - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Eee, 'eck. When I were a lad... If our Minis went for 100,000 miles before they rotted away, they would have had at at least one re-built alternator, if not two, and the starter motor would have had to be removed and a new Bendix gear fitted (I've got one on the bench in front of me if anyone wants it). My present car has done 166,000 miles in six years and it's still got the original alternator and starter motor. If the starter motor lasts as long as yours has I will be very happy. Parts are - for most cars - so much better made and so much more long-lasting these days. As Collosus and Peter say, it's probably just the Bendix sticking, after thirteen years!

good news - was reading all the stuff about bits of flywheel in it and thinking 'game over'...but hopefully I have a simple old Mondeo and this is all the problem is.

The motor was hard to reach but disassemble-hit-hard-reassemble-rock back and forth did seem to work. Took it for a run, stopped it for a while, and on restart it fired happily first time. Let's see if it continues.

thanks everyone!

Ford Mondeo - 1999 Mondeo estate mk ii sudden starter failure - Galaxy

good news - was reading all the stuff about bits of flywheel in it and thinking 'game over'...but hopefully I have a simple old Mondeo and this is all the problem is.

That would relate to a Mondeo Mark 3 which has a Dual Mass Flywheel, which can break up during service.

Your's is a Mark 2 which, thankfully, has a solid flywheel so there's nothing to break off!

Ford Mondeo - 1999 Mondeo estate mk ii sudden starter failure - Peter.N.

You could fit a hammer on a pivot with a piece of string to the car interior.

When I were I lad cars had dynamo's.

That would relate to a Mondeo Mark 3 which has a Dual Mass Flywheel, which can break up during service.

Your's is a Mark 2 which, thankfully, has a solid flywheel so there's nothing to break off!

now there's a definitive answer that I really like. :-) Thank you!

Ford Mondeo - 1999 Mondeo estate mk ii sudden starter failure - bathtub tom

This car will have a pre-engaged starter, inertia starters went out years before it was made. The solenoid also throws the pinion into the ring gear.

It seems the ring gear's got stripped teeth, or the pinion's failing to fully engage.

Either way, it's a starter off job to investigate if it continues to cause trouble.