Please help me choose a car for a long commute - NorthernerLancs

Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate some help. I've gone round in circles for days trying to find something that ticks all the boxes but I'm not having much luck.

My current car is a BMW 320D Coupe 2007. I use this car for a 120mile daily (32,000 per year) commute so it now has 107,000 miles on the clock. We have four seats and two children (one in a booster seat) which worked fine until my wife announced we have a new arrival due. So I need another seat . This car has been excellent and returns over 50mpg so relatively cheap to run diesel wise.

I need a car with a big boot (for the pram and extras) and room in the back for two children plus a car seat. My budget is 8k...for this I've looked at the following:

Mondeo 2.0 TDI - Great value for money but the MPG is only mid 40s which would cost around £800 extra per year in fuel.

BMW 5 series - would be looking at a high mileage car. Problems seem to be occuring around the 100k mark (and before in some cases) on these cars with DPF which look expensive. Seems a risky purchase.

Honda Accord - Good cars but again don't look great on the MPG front.

Audi A6 - As per the Mondeo.

I've looked at LPG but that doesn't seem as cost effective as it has been due to rising LPG prices.

It could be I'm asking the impossible but I thought I'd throw it out there incase anyone has come up with a solution before or could recommend something.

I'd really appreciate your input. Moving jobs is not an option at this stage....or house :)

Cheers,

Tony

Please help me choose a car for a long commute - veryoldbear

If the Beemer is running well, run it into the ground over the next couple of years on the commute. Meantime, buy a big 'ole estate (Mondeo) for the family journeys. It will mean two cars but may be sound bangernomics.

Please help me choose a car for a long commute - Big John

Most 5 seater cars will struggle to truly struggle to fit three car seats across the back seat. You need room for three including booster seat + baby/child seat. Most of the cars you mention with possibly the exception of the Mondeo would struggle with this combination. They should be classed as 4+1 instead of 5 seater. Whatever car you look at check that it can truly cope with 3 across the back. In most the middle seat is usually a very uncomfortable narrow "bench" between two sculptured seats with a transmition tunnel between your legs.

I have some friends with 3 growing children who have tried various types of cars/people carriers who now love their Citroen C4 Grand Picasso. Three full sized seperate middle row seats and a very large boot when rear row seats not used. Also very economical. Probably not what you want to hear after running a BMW coupe, but.....

How about using a seperate smaller /economical car just for the commute? As well as fuel you need to factor other high costs involved with high mileage travel. e.g. tyre costs can be significant.

Edited by Big John on 06/01/2013 at 12:23

Please help me choose a car for a long commute - Happy Blue!

Question: - What does your wife drive?

Fitting three children of any age and size into a regular saloon or hatchback (especially a new baby with all the gubbins) is almost impossible. You need to be loking at a five seat MPV or possibly a small seven seater to take advantage of increased luggage space.

Whatever, you will not be getting 50mpg for spending £8,000. Maybe ou need to look at an alternative strategy?

Please help me choose a car for a long commute - Avant

We'll be glad to try to help, but in order not to give you off-target advice:

- Does your wife already have a car / need one?

- When the baby arrives, will child no. 2 still need a car seat?

Thanks for all the replies. Some good advice but I don't think we can afford to buy and run an extra car.

The children are 10 and 7 but the 7 year old is small so is going to need a car seat for at least the next year.

My wife drives as Seat Ibiza. It would be a sensible option to change her car but she really struggles with big cars and we've only just bought hers. Believe me I've tried this approach :) I need the bigger car as it's safer on motorways (had 2 rear end shunts in the last three years)

Cheers,

Tony
Please help me choose a car for a long commute - countryroads

I reckon you may want a bit of badge, but stick with me...Skoda Superb. One of the roomiest normal cars on the market, can be specced up to the nines and a range of frugal and punchy diesels are available. Or you get the efficient 1.8T 4 cyl or the slightly bonkers on fuel 2.8 V6! Also gives a fantastically smooth motorway ride. Check them out..

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-2-0TDI-PD-140-Laur...c

Edited by countryroads on 06/01/2013 at 16:25

Please help me choose a car for a long commute - injection doc

Passats are great & roomy, excellent for long drives as i used to comute from the west Country to great yarmouth every day for months and the Passat turned out to be 100 times better than an E250 merc .

I had three passats 2 - 140's and the 170 DSG uesd to return 58mpg on a run, brilliant for miles, not pretty but great family car.

Mine were all totally reliable.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered a Passat or a Skoda. I'll have a look.

May need a bit of time to get my head round a Skoda trade....I don't consider myself a badge snob but that may hurt! :)

Cheers,

Tony

Please help me choose a car for a long commute - Big John

I already have a Skoda Octavia and Superb and they have both been great cars (comfortable, economical and reliable). The Superb (MK I & II) is VERY roomy - for four - but I still think there will not be enough room for three (inc car seats etc...) across the back seats. There is also a wide central tunnel in the floor which can make it uncomfortable in the back middle seat.

I can't fully comment on the Passat but I beleive there will be similar issues as both cars are related.

Edited by Big John on 06/01/2013 at 22:14