Ford Focus - Focus developed a whine - CE

Hi there hoping for a bit of advice from the experts. Have a late 2007 Focus Titanium 2.0 TDCI. It's got 85k on the clock and we've had it from nearly new and kept up a full ford service history.

Over the last week or so I've noticed it develop a high pitched whine which is most obvious in low gears though I think it does happen in high gears but it's largely blocked out by road noise (either than or I'm paranoid). This doesn't just happen under acceleration, in fact to me seems more obvious when I take my foot off the gas. My husband thinks he's noticed it disapear when you press the clutch but I can't say I've noticed that and I drive it far more but will listen for it tomorrow. Any advice appreciated, just hope the suggestion isn't a new clutch required!

Thanks.

Ford Focus - Focus developed a whine - MikeTorque

It sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing. When the clutch pedal is out the release bearing is riding on the pressure plate fingers and when you push the clutch in the noise goes away.

A fairly big job getting to the component, in addition it's worth checking the state of the clutch and pressure plate as it may be worth changing them also if there's a fair amount of wear.

However, if the transmission fluid has gotten low then it could be a bearing
in the transmission.

It needs a garage to thoroughly ascertain the source of the problem prior to making any repair decision as it could be something else that's easier to fix.

Ford Focus - Focus developed a whine - Jamesey

I had a whine develop on my Focus, and it was the alternator (diodes) that had failed. Handly I worked it out before I broke down. I suspect you'll have found out the hard way by now if it was the alternator!