Mini Cooper D - 59 Plate - strange noise when starting up mini cold - zuluboy
Hey all,

recently bought this car from a mini dealer and noticed this strange noise when the engine is starting up from cold...and disappears when the engine is warm.

Im due to bring it into the dealer to check it out, but thought Id see what other people think it might be.. It might be normal!

I've uploaded a audio clip here
dl.dropbox.com/u/16856082/VID_20130102_184042.mp4

thanks all
Angelo
Mini Cooper D - 59 Plate - strange noise when starting up mini cold - Peter.N.

If its the squeak you are worried about it sounds like the auxilluary drive belt likely slipping on the alternator.

Mini Cooper D - 59 Plate - strange noise when starting up mini cold - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Seconded... Auxiliary belt squeak. The dealer will tell you that it will 'bed in'. But if it's squeaking now, it can only get worse!

Prove the fault with a can of 'Belt slip Spray'. It'll either make it go quiet or (temporarily) a sight louder, depending on what's causing the squeak. It may be mis-aligned or frayed.

Mini Cooper D - 59 Plate - strange noise when starting up mini cold - zuluboy

Just for the FYI , BMW ended changing the tensioners and then finally they figured it out.. it was the cam belt...

However.. I think they goofed up the dpf in the process..

Mini Cooper D - 59 Plate - strange noise when starting up mini cold - mss1tw

Just for the FYI , BMW ended changing the tensioners and then finally they figured it out.. it was the cam belt...

However.. I think they goofed up the dpf in the process..

Lucky, cambelts are no fun when they go!

Edited by mss1tw on 06/10/2014 at 17:44