Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - dendave

I have Mx5 RC, bought brand new July this year.All good for a few weeks until i returned from holiday, car had been left parked for approx. 9 days , on return battery was completely flat, could not even operate fob unlock!
Over the last few months have called RAC homestart 3 times to restart the car after flat battery,the car has been returned to dealer twice,on second visit they kept it on multimeter test for 10 days!again no fault found .Sometimes the battery was discharged after the car had only been left undriven for 3-4 days.so i never know if it is going to start.
Dealer has replaced one battery as it had become damaged by being flat so much ,they have carried out parasidic draw tests to see if there is undue drain on battery while car is parked ,no fault found. all tests show no fault with car.
I have just called dealer as i used car on Boxing day but on returning to drive it on Sunday there was not even enough life left in it to open door locks with fob! Boot lights not left on, all usual causes have been checked.This cannot be normal for this model.
I love to drive the car but have lost any confidence in its reliability ,i am now waiting for Mazda UK to decide what to try next ,i dont know what i can do next.does anyone else out there have a similar experience or problem with a new Mx5

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - Peter.N.

There is obviously current being drawn from the battery at some time, either something is staying on or the main ECU is being powered up intermittently. Has it had any aftermarket equipment fitted, a different radio fo instance? This can upset the ECU.

hi thanks for your reply ,car is exactly as delivered new, no aftermarket extras,dealer says he has checked for draw on battery while parked(he kept it connected to Multimeter last time for 10 days!) discharge rate is within normal range,he cant see any reason for it going flat,but admits that something is wrong.

i have even tried parking up with interior motion sensor disabled but still goes flat

parked in drive so can't leave on trickle but shouldn't have to with new car!!

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - skidpan

This cannot be normal for this model.

Of course its not normal for this model or any car for that matter.

Suggest you try a differnet dealer has its obvious this one does not have a clue.

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - bazza

Either it's a high parasitic draw, in which case a process of elimination should find the faulty component, or your battery is not charging fully, possibly a high resistance somewhere in the charging circuit - which might not show up on your dash lights. Got a feeling the MX5 battery is quite small for weight-saving, which won't help, though there is definitely an underlying problem.

Dealer job if it's a new car though.

hi, Asked dealer about uprating battery but he says that the battery is correct for this model.

Bit of a mystery as all checks show normal charging rate ,Parasitic draw while parked they say is normal ,no boot lights left on etc i get the impression they are clutching at straws as they tried to disable bluetooth as possible cure but couldn'then set alarm properly and had to reinstate it, when i got car back last time mysteriously they had turned the interior light off!.

as you say bit restricted in what i can do as under warranty, as last resort may go to independant electrical engineer and see what they find

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - gordonbennet

Not an MX5, but this applies to many cars.

Do the sunvisors have lit vanity mirrors, thats a remote possibility (happened to me), check them.

Secondly i'd temporarily remove the bulbs from the boot, glovebox and from under the bonnet (if fitted), and make a point of looking inside you car when its completely dark and been standing a while to see if anything is glowing.

If it proves to be unfathomable then you could get a master switch fitted under the bonnet in the main live cable, lorries have similar master switches and many if stood for a week won't start unless you turn them off at the 'mains'....edit, forget the master switch i didn't realise the car was new and under warranty, doh.

Edited by gordonbennet on 31/12/2012 at 12:32

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - Galaxy

Well, it's likely to be one of three things.

1. Battery is faulty, but it can't be that because the dealer has replaced it.

2. Something is drawing a considerable current when the car is switched off and parked. This might not show up on a "multimeter test" because it might not be constant. Alternatively, something like the lamp in the boot or glovebox is staying on all the time, but this shouldn't be too difficult to find.

3. There is a fault with the charging circuit and the battery is only being partially charged. The main dealer should have the necessary equipment to check this.

Of course, it's always possible that it's two or three of the above.

Hi ,all a bit strange,car first registered 1st July all good until returned from holiday on 23rd october after being parked for 10 days battery was flat called RAC 1st time

1..Dealer replaced battery because when it had discharged completely first time, the RAC man told me it had been damaged and had only got 90% capacity left so i insisted the dealer replace, which they did.otherwise no fault apart from electrolyte level a bit low

car OK for next 5 days or so until didn't use it for 3 days again on checking, it was flat again, called RAC for 2nd time ,he started it for me ,after this visit i drove car ok for about a month then flat again after parking up for 4 days

2.. 3rd time RAC man called,he told me battery was knackered, showed me his meter which said "REPLACE BATTERY" CCA(cold cranking amps) was measured at 167cca. instead of 380cca.I told him it was replacement battery only about a month old ,he said meter doesn't lie!

When car went back to dealers they found no fault with battery and did not replace it.thats when they did all these parasitic tests which were normal,and then returned car to me, until this week, when after 2 days of parking it was flat ,which brings me up to today.

So as you can see there is something going on but they cant find it yet

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - elekie&a/c doctor

Most definitely something not right here.Did dealer give you parasitic drain figures ,both expected and actual for your car?May be an idea to check the alternator with engine cold and not running,just put your hand on the body of the alternator to see if it is warm.Just a thought.hth

Hi,I asked the dealer for copy and he gave me Parasitic figures for dark current which are in chart form,not quite sure what they all mean but he assures me they were all within expected limits.,will try alternator for warmth next time car cools down, just been out for a 10 mile run to warm up engine so will check later

thanks for all the replies guys

Hi, no lights fitted in sunvisors, no light fitted in my glove box,nothing seems to be on when i checked the car in the dark.

Have left the car in the drive with the alarm off to see if that helps if not maybe someone will hopefully nick it,that would solve everything! otherwise i am in the hands of the dealer

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - madf

Your dealer is a (self censored).

It needs a new battery The AA are correct.

Go to another dealer.

If you cannot, write to Honda UK and complain... and quote this thread.. (print it out)

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - quizman

I would try another battery, the replacement might be faulty (or even off another car).

I would not write to Honda, I would write to Mazda!!!

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - Avant

If it doesn't go flat again with the immobiliser disconnected, then you have your answer. If it does, have you taken the bulb our of the boot light (if there is one)?

Failing that, you need a different Mazda dealer, as it really isn't rocket science to find something that's discharging the battery.

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - Peter.N.

You can check that the battery is charging OK by connecting a voltmeter across it, should read about 14,4 volts with the engine running.

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - 72 dudes

Dendave, I have been talking to my brother-in-law about your problems, who is a Mechanic and Workshop Controller, although not for Mazda.

Two possibilities:

The radio module is not shutting down properly. Apparently this is not uncommon on new model Fiestas and can cause a slow drain on the battery. Having said that this sort of drain should show up on a multimeter test.

Are you locking your car at night? Or is it left unlocked in a garage for example? The systems on modern cars are designed to shut down fully only when the car is locked up.

Good luck, must be a very frustrating problem.

Hi 72 dudes,frustrating is not the word i would use !!

As mentioned in my original post....after starting from flat with booster..I. run car on Sunday, did about 40 miles total , stopped for fuel after about 5 miles , car stopped and started ok ,came home later that day -parked car in drive.

On Monday started car ok and took for a run about 8 miles or so and gave it some serious welly ! tried to start today(Wednesday) flat battery again.....(1) lights on dash lit up ok (2) click from starter (3) tried lights very dim (4)I noticed new symptom, gauge needles shot up then down again when i tried to turn engine over , Car normally parked outside on alarm,interior light in off position ,boot light in off position, dealer has checked for undue battery drain, they say all normal.

I have called out Mazda RAC man so i will get record of breakdown today . i have noticed two things when i looked this morning --- the braided strap from battery earth to engine (under black tape ) feels loose and wobbly will get RAC man to check this--- also last night i noticed when sitting in car with ignition and alarms off the little car with padlock symbol (alarm armed) was still flashing on dash ,surely this should not show when i am sat in unalarmed car?

PS will see what RAC man finds

Edited by dendave on 02/01/2013 at 10:14

RAC man tested and boost started car,battery tested ok with just 9.8 volts left also measured at 306 amps(cca) no obvious reason for excess drain on battery,thinking of buying CTEK charger!

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - injection doc

I did have a Mazda MX5 doing the same thing in our workshop and seem to remeber the coil pack getting hot.

I cannot remember whether it was caused by a fuel injection relay not switching or it was an ECU fault but the ign coils were staying live with the ignition key removed !

I think we found it by the fact that the coil pack was warm afetr the car had been off all night. bnce we disconnected the battery to rig up an ameter the relay dropped out so there was no current draw by the coil so no fault found.

Hi will check my coils when i can locate them on the engine ,have looked up lots of pics looks like seperate coil for each cylinder,will get back to you

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - MondeoMonkeyMagic

Hi will check my coils when i can locate them on the engine ,have looked up lots of pics looks like seperate coil for each cylinder,will get back to you

Hi Dendave

I had exactly the same problem on my Renault Clio, it was the electric PAS relay which kept on energising (which shouldn't have obviously after I locked the car) and unless the car was driven daily the battery could discharge after only 2 days in the end as the battery got weaker and weaker given the toll on it - Hope this helps rather than confuses

Edited by MondeoMonkeyMagic on 03/01/2013 at 21:30

Hi guys, dealer has contacted me and it seems that Mazda have authorized a replacement Bluetooth Module,the thinking being that there could be a fault with it.

so car will go into dealer shortly to see if this stops the fault

i will also mention to the dealer about the radio or possible coil faults suggested to me by other replys

thanks everyone for your interest will keep you updated

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - pdc

Hi

have a similar problem on a new Mx- 5, i need to find out the name of the dealer that had autorisation from Mazda on the module to see waht steps he has taken to identify the module as the fault

Hi, at the moment my dealer says he will be going through process of elimination ,so he is not sure if this is the cause but obviously he must suspect this as Mazda would hardly pay out, unless they had solid suspicion,anyway car goes in next week so will have to wait and see what they find

what kind of problem have you had and how old is your MX

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - pdc

Used car to go to Leeds, then did not use car for a week, went to it battery flat, this has happened twice now, after being left for a week, car is 3mths old

Hi pdc,seems like we both have similar problems, i dont think battery spec is enough,needs more amps.New cars shouldn't go flat this easy! My dealer tried to tell me i should check car every other day ,i told them they were talking rubbish!

You need to nag your dealer for further investigation.must be a fault somewhere ,they need to investigate Asap.

good Luck

Hi pdc ,just a final update on my ongoing problem with battery on my Roadster coupe,after the last visit to the dealer ,they found the Bluetooth module was faulty and replaced it.

i insisted they keep car for a couple of weeks to try and replicate my problem ,they had no starting problems or flat battery faults in that time .

On return to me the car has performed as it should, in any weather, including freezing conditions ,starting very easily with noticeably more power even after leaving car parked up for days! My confidence in the car has returned !

This fault with the faulty Bluetooth module discharging battery while parked, has occured in other MX's according to dealer feedback ,so worth considering, if you or anyone else has similar problem

Thanks everyone for your help and advice

Edited by dendave on 13/02/2013 at 09:35

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - focussed

A bit of an obvious question, but why is the bluetooth module "live" or connected to the battery when the key is off and removed? Wired incorrectly from new? Or part of the wonderful web of overcomplicated gadgets that new cars come with, designed by computer geeks who seem to have very little connection to reality?

Hi, bit of each i think,I dont need or care whether bluetooth is fitted to my car.Dealer replaced it and all my starting probs have gone away at last.

I think the car was wired wrong to begin with,but this problem didn't show until i left the car parked over longer periods.When i first had the car, i used it every day,so did not notice it at first.Module was definitely duff,but i think problem was intermittent as dealer didn't find fault at first on"dark" test.

I'm just glad its sorted at last!

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - galway1

Hi, bit of each i think,I dont need or care whether bluetooth is fitted to my car.Dealer replaced it and all my starting probs have gone away at last.

I think the car was wired wrong to begin with,but this problem didn't show until i left the car parked over longer periods.When i first had the car, i used it every day,so did not notice it at first.Module was definitely duff,but i think problem was intermittent as dealer didn't find fault at first on"dark" test.

I'm just glad its sorted at last!

Mazda obviously hasn't made any improvements to this roadster since the original post because I have a 2013 Mazda Miata/MX-5model with the same problem. The car has now been towed to the dealer on five occasions. Even the tow truck drivers have got involved in the diagnosis, telling me to keep the keyfob 50 feet (I'm in the US ) away. Another told me that the car battery drains because if the car isn't locked it keeps seeking the keyfob. The dealer is baffled, techical experts have been called in, all with no results. I've had a Mazda MX-5 or a Mazda Miata in various countries since they started making them. I've never had a problem with any of them, other than a "check engine" light on an old model.

This forum has given me more guidance than anything so far and I'm taking all the comments to the dealer. Many thanks.

Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - Chris Lancaster
Had same issue after not using car for a couple of weeks or so. Managed to get it jump started. Then read on the USA Forums it's a known fault. They say it only effects the RF models and it occurs if the cruise control is left on, it then seemingly continues to consume power in the background when you leave the car. (Mine was on) Just come back from a fortnight away over New Year & car has started fine. Again on the USA Forum they say the instrument panel needs to be replaced. I'm happy at the moment to just turn it off before I lock it up. Hope this helps.
Mazda MX5 roadster coupe - Battery keeps going flat - David Henson

I bought a used 2015 Mk4 MX5 1.5 roadster in super condition and very low mileage about a year ago, I love it but found battery flat after leaving it switched off in garage for about 3 weeks when I couldn't drive anywhere due to Covid shielding. Used a CTEK charger to successfully rebuild the battery. Spoke to dealer, they said they have a similar problem with all their Mazdas and have to boost cars on display about every week. I measured the drain, nearly 1 amp with everything that could be off turned off! Battery was not new but if it can sustain 1 amp drain for up to 5 days and still start the car it is not faulty (as it lasted so long I guess the drain must have reduced after a while)! Tried removing various fuses but could not isolate the load so I fitted a simple isolation switch that I turn off if the car is to be sittng for more than a couple of days. A bit of a fiddle to open the bonnet and turn it on but no more flat battery!