Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - Cluedo
I have a MB C Class with the optional COMAND System (although I do not think that matters to this post as the same may apply to the non COMAND version) and get frustrated that I cannot switch the lights on for the buttons on the centre console/COMAND APS. The light switch is always left in auto mode and the car will switch the head lights on when necessary but not illuminate the switch gear in the car. Only when the interior reaches another level of darkness will they illuminate. I have tried switching the side lights on and this does not illuminate them either. In my previous 3 series it was simples - when the headlights came on automatically the interior switch gear also lit up. But this does not happen in the C Class. Does anyone have any idea how to ensure the interior illuminates when the head lights automatically come on ?

Edited by Cluedo on 30/12/2012 at 07:48

Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - elekie&a/c doctor

What year is this c class?have you tried adjusting the dash illumination control on the dash pod?

Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - daveyjp
Definately sounds like you need to find how to increase the intensity of the dash backlighting. On some MBs this is achieved by turning the odometer reset button and holding it.
Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - Collos25

I suggest reading the manual properly all functions are clearly stated .

Done this already collos and cannot find any mention of the question I am asking.

You seem to be sure it is in the manual so if you could direct me to it I would be grateful.

If anyone has any suggestions then I would be grateful.

Cheers

Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - csgmart

I have a new SLK and noticed exactly the same thing as the OP only the other day.

The problem occurs when the lights get triggered to come on automatically (triggered by it getting dark). There seem to be 2 stages - stage 1 illuminates the lights on the exterior of the vehicle but the interior lights for the controls do not get illuminated at that point. Only when it gets a bit darker outside does stage 2 commence and the interior lights for the controls come on.

Like the OP I wondered if it was possible to override this setting.

BTW this has nothing to do with the switch which changes the brightness of the lights on the controls - if they aren't on no amount of adjusting is going to make any difference....

Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - Collos25

Exactly as the manual explains, it will only do rightly or wrongly what the manufacturer has decided it did not cause any problem whatsoever in my E class.

Age of car would help.On many of the newer Merc models there is a facility to change the light settings on the guided menu on dash pod ,under the heading ambience and illumination.Your car may have this facility.hth

The car is a 2012 model (recent face lifted) and manufactured in June.

Collos - thanks for your response but I think you may have misunderstood me (or I you). I am simply asking can it be overridden as the previous SLK owner states.
I think your response is saying it can't although you have only just asked me to read the manual. You must eat more carrots than I do as whilst you do not have a problem I think there's are times when it is dark enough to have the interior switch gear illuminated to benefit the driver but the car has been designed to do this automatically.

As I originally asked if fanyone knows if this can be changed please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Cluedo on 31/12/2012 at 13:06

So have you looked on the dash menu under lighting?

Yes - using this dash menu I have access to change the surrounding lights, turn the day time running lights and also change the interior light delay mode. There is no access to the interior switch gear - thanks.

I think Collos is correct and that is the way it is designed which seems daft to me. If the car thinks it is dark enough to warrant dipped beam you would think it would also illuminate the interior switches where you have even greater darkness of being in the car.
Shame as other than this I cannot fault the car. I am very pleased with it.
I will ask the dealer next time I am passing and feed back if anyone is interested.
Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - oldroverboy.
Yes - using this dash menu I have access to change the surrounding lights, turn the day time running lights and also change the interior light delay mode. There is no access to the interior switch gear - thanks. I think Collos is correct and that is the way it is designed which seems daft to me. If the car thinks it is dark enough to warrant dipped beam you would think it would also illuminate the interior switches where you have even greater darkness of being in the car. Shame as other than this I cannot fault the car. I am very pleased with it. I will ask the dealer next time I am passing and feed back if anyone is interested.

Without being too pedantic, If your vehicle is still in warranty, and hopefully it is being serviced by MB to get any possible future goodwill, then I would have thought your dealer would have been the first port of call.

Perhaps though someone on the appropriate forum for Merc c class can guide you.

Don't worry about Collos, but strictly speaking he is correct.

1, Read the owners manual.

2, Ask the dealer.

3, Go to MB c class forum

Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - abc134

Please let me know if you got this issue resolved. Iv got exactly the same problem on my 2012 c220. Please email me back as i dont access this forum slt. Email address is pavs786@hotmail.co.uk. thanks.

Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - abc134

Please please let me know if this got resolved. Iv got the same problem on my 2012 c220. Please reply at my email address. Pavs786@hotmail.co.uk. its so frustrating as no one can find a fault!!. Thanks.

Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - Trilogy

orb, I'm rather puzzled as to why you posted an answer to a thread that is 2.5 years old. Perhaps I am missing something?

Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - thecloser

Trilogy

The posts are out of order. orb was responding to an equally unlikely 'new' post dated 11 July which followed the December 2012 one!

Mercedes C Class - Let there be light - or not - Trilogy

Cheers!