Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - massey

This new car has been in my garage for the last 18 months. It has 40 miles(delivery mileage). The car has not been started or driven in that period. Its now being put on the road.

Does the engine oil need changing due to the lenght of time ?

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Not unless you're feeling flush!

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - grimep

No.

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - thunderbird

When a car is stood for a long period oil can actually absorb a small amount of moiture that can later create condesation inside the engine, not a good idea.

You can buy proper storage oils to avoid this, horrid thick green stuff.

I would suggest for the sake of the cost of an oil change get it done rather than possibly causing any damage however slight the chance.

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - unthrottled

Oils absorb moisture all the time that the engine is operating with oil below about 90C or so-whiich for a lot of people is virtually all the time. Because the moisture came from the combustion chamber it is acidic. Providing the acidity buffers have not been used up, this does not cause a problem. It should be fine.

But old engine oils can be mildly acidic and hence corrosive, as people who very well used engine oil as a cheap rust protector have found to their cost.

Thanks for the advice. I will leave the oil in there because of only 40 miles

Is engines filled with a different oil on the assembly line than the normal spec?

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - skidpan

For the cost of a can of oil (it won't be a high spec for a C3 petrol) and a filter is it really worth risking the new engine.

It will cost more to fill the car with petrol.

Remember that manufacturers set the servicing intervals by distance and time, normally its a year max and that applies even if you only do a handful of miles.

Since the car is 18 months old and has not been serviced the warranty will have lapsed anyway thus do you really need to risk problems that Citroen will not fix.

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - MikeTorque

As already mention above, the cars warranty will have lapsed by now. I agree with the others, the car needs an oil and filter change for the reasons already mentioned.

Cars decay simply by not being used. It's wise to get the car thorougly checked over for the safety of all road users.

Personally I would recommend a garage performs a general inspection & maintenance service which includes an oil and filter change.

Car is as delivered NEW on a 3yr warranty and only done 40 miles(delivery) so no oil contaminates has been generated by use

Oil is perfectly clear!

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - thunderbird

Car is as delivered NEW on a 3yr warranty and only done 40 miles(delivery) so no oil contaminates has been generated by use

Oil is perfectly clear!

The car will not have a warranty if its was deliverd 18 months ago and and has not been serviced. Citroes require a service every year or 12,000 miles on petrols, the service is 6 months overdue. That service would haave reuired an oil change, it hasn't been done.

After 40 miles the oil will be clean but its still been in 18 months ans should be changed.

What percetage of the value of the car is the cost of the work.

What realy annoys me is you post a question yet appear to have already made a decision beforehand.

What I was trying to determine if there is a special running in oil put in the factory

It seems not? so I'll change it..

Thanks for all your replies

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - Cyd

If it was mine I would drain that oil out without starting the engine at all, refill with fresh and change again after 500 miles.

I would change all filters (oil, air, cabin, fuel).

I would also fill with fresh fuel (Shell V Power or BP Ultimate) and flush through before starting.

Also check the condition of the plugs (looking for corrosion on the "business end").

And unless it was disconnected and kept charged, you may need a new battery.

For all other items service according to time rather than mileage.

Has it been stood on it's tyres all this time? You may have flat spots and need to replace them.

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - Collos25

Its been stood for 18months not 18 years.

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - Paul87

Its been stood for 18months not 18 years.

18 months is more than enough time to deform tyres if they have not been rotated.

I was under the impression that if a car was to saty stationary for a prolong period you needed to replace the oil with inhibitor fluid to prevent corrosion in the engine and periodically crank the engine to keep the top end lubricated.

Edited by Paul87 on 24/12/2012 at 15:27

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - Cyd

I once wrecked the oil control rings on one of my rally car engines because I had forgotten to oil the bores before storage and they had considerable corrosion on them. Luckily I had 48 hrs to rebuild it!

With only 40 miles on the clock there will be unburned fuel in that oil, which has had 18 months to break down the oil molecule chains.

As I now have a van for my work, my car sits in the garage for up to 3 weeks at a time. The tyres get flat spots which causes vibration in the first few miles before they soften up again. i try to drive it at least fortnightly.

I only spent 24 years in automotive R&D. Used to build my own rally cars. So, humour me. If you own the car and intend to keep it and wish it to give many 000s of miles of trouble free motoring, give it the tlc it deserves.

Or, of course, you can ignore my advice.

It must have been left dry for a very long time or it was not built correctly.

Citroen C3 1.4 petrol - Do I need to change oil? - Paul87

Untreated aluminium alloys as what you might find in an engine cylider do corrode very quickly if left exposed to the atmosphere.

So everthing built of aluminium is in danger of rotting away thats just about every engine head, gearbox,back axle ,I and many others have articles made from alumnium alloy that are older than me and I am a pensioner that are as good as the day they were bought.The whole advantage of Aluminium alloy is that they are light and surface corrode to protect itself and it lasts for just about ever.