Peugeot 508, 3008; Mazda 6; Jazz; Colt; Yaris - What car to choose with £12000 budget - Gosho

Hi all,

I am looking for a car within 12K budget, but it's hard to decide and I really need some expert opinion to help me choose :-)

I am looking for an automatic car that will be used for at least a year and then sold. Thus, cars with low depreciation are with high priority. I prefer buying either new or approved car. For example I was looking in Approved Peugeot 3008 and 508 models that after just a year lost about 40% value. However I ask myself why such a huge drop? On one hand it can be good- they already dropped a lot and in the next year their depreciation will slow down (say another 10% drop). On the other hand- it can be because of problems they could have. The other option I was thinking of is buying a new car (using drive the deal for example) with a big discount for a car that some dealer might be desperate to get rid of till the end of the year.

I will appreciate your opinion and any suggestion will be very welcome :-)

Peugeot 508, 3008; Mazda 6; Jazz; Colt; Yaris - What car to choose with £12000 budget - 72 dudes

First you need to decide on what size of car you need. The 508 and Mazda 6 are large family cars, the Jazz and Yaris Superminis.

So how many miles per year do you cover?

What sort of roads do you drive on? What factors are most important to you? (petrol consumption, comfort, handling etc)

Most nearly new cars for around £12k will depreciate fairly rapidly in the next year and the automatics in the Peugeots you mention are semi-autos which most people find jerky to drive.

Peugeot 508, 3008; Mazda 6; Jazz; Colt; Yaris - What car to choose with £12000 budget - Gosho

The priorities are as follow

depreciation (up to 2K per year)

consumption (up to 8l per 100km)

safety

comfort - nice to have

rest - not so important

The size is not too important too, as long as it fits the above criteria. The cars I mentioned above are the ones I looked into, but I am open for any good alternative.

I will cover at least 10K miles per year. Mainly extra urban.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Peugeot 508, 3008; Mazda 6; Jazz; Colt; Yaris - What car to choose with £12000 budget - bear807
Get the polo 1.4 dsg? I think it fits all your requirement not sure the price though....
Peugeot 508, 3008; Mazda 6; Jazz; Colt; Yaris - What car to choose with £12000 budget - 72 dudes

Actually the Polo is a good suggestion.

Others would be Golf, Audi A3 (but would be more than 1 year old for your budget); Skoda Octavia; Toyota Auris;

The VW/Audi would suffer less depreciation.

Of course , if size doesn't matter, a Mini Cooper auto might do the job.

Regarding Polo- is there a big diference between 2009, 2010, 2011 models?

Auris looks very good idea. 2010 on comes with 2+ years remaining warranty, so not bad at all. Hybrid is a bit over 12k, but at least on paper has great mpg numbers. What's your opinion on Toyota's hybrid engines? Or is it better to go with regular petrol engine?

Speaking of older approved cars- what about older Lexus, Mercedes, etc models? Will their slower depreciaton rate make up for the higher fuel consumption? What are the other negatives regarding this option?

On the Polo, there was a model change in 2009, later cars are better and are a real "mini Golf". Also there was a facelift on 10 reg versions to the current VW house style "smiley face" grille and headlamps.

1.4 DSG versions are well within your budget.

Re the Auris Hybrid - these engines do not return anything near the 65-70 MPG claimed. Most tests I've read see them achieving 50-55 in the real world, still good. They are less efficient at high speed motorway driving but are more efficient around town. Personally I would stick to the petrol engine.

You could go the Lexus/Mercedes route, but road tax, insurance, higher servicing costs, and increased fuel consumption would add to the overall running costs. Depreciation would still be a factor on a 4-5 year old version too.

Peugeot 508, 3008; Mazda 6; Jazz; Colt; Yaris - What car to choose with £12000 budget - skidpan

Wifey need a car in similar circumstances about 4 years ago, i.e. reliable, cheap, minimum depreciation and keep for about 2 years.

Looked at the suprmarkets but dropped on a brand new unregistered micra 1.2 with a 30% discount, paid £6500. Kept it 2 1/2 years, cost us fuel and 2 services, sold for £4200.

Cheap motoring with no worries.

skidpan, that's exactly what I was wondering. New models + end of year can put presure on dealers stuck with spare cars. Where did you get your Micra from? Is there something better than Drivethedeal?

72 dudes, I noticed that Polo and Yaris have similar depreciation rate. Would you consider Yaris (longer warranty) over Polo? What about Colt btw? Newer and cheaper than the previous two. What's your opinion on 207, 308, 508, C3, C4?

Peugeot 508, 3008; Mazda 6; Jazz; Colt; Yaris - What car to choose with £12000 budget - skidpan

skidpan, that's exactly what I was wondering. New models + end of year can put presure on dealers stuck with spare cars. Where did you get your Micra from? Is there something better than Drivethedeal?

Found it on the interweb, the dealer was about 10 miles away in Derby. Picked it up 3 or 4 days later. Simples.

Quite bizarre when we got there to have a look. As well as the brand new ones he had several 6 month old pre-reg ones on the forecourt at the same price. I said to him I would be happy with one of those with a good discount but he was adamant they owed him money since they had been on the forecourt for 6 months.

72 dudes, I noticed that Polo and Yaris have similar depreciation rate. Would you consider Yaris (longer warranty) over Polo? What about Colt btw? Newer and cheaper than the previous two. What's your opinion on 207, 308, 508, C3, C4?

Polo vs Yaris: The Yaris makes more sense financially with the warranty, but for me the Polo is the better car.

207 auto (petrol): My wife has one, very nice to drive, but depreciation quite steep and economy not great.

308 likewise as uses same engines. 508: No experience

C3: Old C3 forget, new shape much better. C4 decent. However, both use same engines as 207/308 so economy poor in petrol autos, and depreciation quite steep.

You could go diesel auto in these makes, but your mileage doesn't really warrant it, and depreciation a big factor