What car for a long road trip across Europe... - Ashley P

Hi people,

I am totally new to this forum as you can tell but I see that most people on here gives great advice so I figured I'd pick your brains.

Here goes...

I am planning a road trip to Romania at the end of this month. It's a total of 1600 miles each way and I need to buy a decent car that will be great/epic on the fuel consumption, be comfortable and won't break down leaving me stranded out in the middle of no-where. I know no-one can guarrantee that last one but hey, at least a good chance of it not going wrong.

I have a maximum of budget of £1000, maybe a tad more if a great car pops up.

Just basically, wondering what people's advice is as to which car would be the best bet. I was thinking maybe one of the Volvo diesels but from an internet search I can see sometimes they don't return the MPG that is expected. Audi's are usually way out of this price range but the Volkswagen Passat/Estate looks promising...

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated!

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - unthrottled

I hate to be discouraging, but this sounds like a nightmare!

Your first problem is breakdown cover. A lot of policies simply won't cover cars over a certain age (which with a budget of £1000 most of your realistic options will fall into tis catagory).

The second problem is that the repatriation assistance of European breakdown cover (getting your car back to Blighty in the event of a major mechanical breakdown that can't be repaired abroad) is only valid up to the value of your car. £1000 won't get you very far if you break down in Romania.

Dumping a cheap car at the roadside might seem like an attractive option, but what do you do with all your stuff?

Forget luxuries like mpg. At this budget you just have to hope that the car actually works!

I would suggest a mid 90's French car (yeah, I am biased) such as a Laguna. Renaults of this era are comfortable, dirt cheap to buy and surprisingly reliable.

The other advantage is that parts are plentiful all over continental europe and mechanics are very familar with them especially in Romania where old Renault designs are sold as Dacias...

I've broken down in an old car whilst in Europe. It's not fun They have you over a barrel and if you get a dishonest garage they can fleece you. (we paid £750 repairs fdor a car that was worth maybe £200). Couldn't dump the car because we had a load of camping gear. This sort of trip is only fun if you have the financial back-up if things go pear shaped.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice!

Never really thought about going down the French marque route...hmm nteresting. I'll start havng a look around. I do like the look of Laguna's! I'm looking at these two:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/03-03-Renault-Laguna-1-9dCi-120...1

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Renault-Laguna-1-9-DCI-PRI...e

Volvo's do seem rather attractive though I must say. I've been looking and I can get hold of a decent one e.g. had the cam belt down recently etc and with a long MOT for around £1200 - £1500. Has around 130,000 to 170,000 miles on the clock.

I know I said a budget of £1000 but as I am soon realising this won't be enough.

Any tips for when I go and test drive these cars? As in what to look out for etc? I have minimal mechinal knowledge ?(when I say minimal, I mean minimal) I'm guessin' to look out for knocks and rattles, make sure the gearbox handles the gears nicely and smoothly. As well as no smoke or oil leaks.

What's your thoughts?

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - Smileyman

Diesel will be cheaper to run.

Make sure you winterise the vehicle, (yes, eating into your budget), with the current snowy weather you need to be prepared

Not sure whether it will be better to hire a car in France / Belgium and drive that, newer vehicle is more likely to be reliable, won't be your cost if anything goes wrong and if there are problems you will have a hire company to call on. Just check the vehicle can be taken cross border.

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - unthrottled

That is a much better option.

Given how cold central Europe can be mid winter, I would take the possibility of a breakdown very seriously.

I wouldn't waste too much time agonising over the mechanical merits of different marques. The same thing applies to viewing a vehicle. You'll open the bonnet and think "yes, it's an engine" and solemnly check the dipstick. It takes experience to differentiate between a benign leak and a serious one.

If you want to buy a car, get a cheap one and keep a reserve of cash to deal with any problems as they arise. A £200 vehicle with £1000 in your pocket is a much better prospect than a £1000 and £200 in your pocket.

I looked into the rental option and you guys are totally right.

With both Europcar and Sixt hiring either a BMW 1 Series or a VW Passat will be around the £350 mark. I'll fly to Dusseldorf. Pick up the car there because I am 24 and Germany is the only country that doesn't apply a Young Drivers Surcharge if you are under 25, only if you are under 23. By the way, that £350 includes snow tyres, snow chains and unlimited mileage!

It's 2490 miles round trip from Dusseldorf to Bucharest. Using an online MPG calculator and stating that the car will achieve around the 48mpg mark and petrol price being 129.9 pence/litre, it says that a round trip petrol cost would be £304. Obviously, there are alot of variables in that calculation but if I leave a little extra cash in the budget in case the fuel is drastically more than that once in Germany, Hungary and Romania then we should be ok.

With the flight cost also factored in, it looks much more attractive than the hassle of buying myself a car. And no worries!

Thanks guys, I would never of really considered renting, purely because of my age; I always thought it would be astronomically priced.

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - skidpan

BMW 1 Series It's 2490 miles round trip from Dusseldorf to Bucharest. Using an online MPG calculator and stating that the car will achieve around the 48mpg mark and petrol price being 129.9 pence/litre, it says that a round trip petrol cost would be £304. .

Forget getting 48 mpg out of a petrol 1 series, a 118D deos about that. Budget for 35 mpg.

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - Sulphur Man

Mercedes W124, either Estate or Saloon, in E220, E280, E320 petrol guises, or best of all the E300 Diesel made between 1994-1996.

It's unlikely you'll find a credible estate example of the above for £1000, but a saloon is definitely attainable.

These cars are all over Eastern Europe, many running with massive mileages.,so any repair work or parts should be fairly easy to attain.

Also look for Mercedes 190 (W201) models, in either 2.0 petrol or 2.5 diesel (not 2.6 petrol - great car but time-consuming to fix due to very cramped engine bay)

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - Collos25

I would go the hire route a set of winter tyres compulsory in Germany will knock the budget then you are subject to temps of -30c in fact I would look at flying or maybe train or bus.

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - lordwoody

A fair number of Volvo 940's about still. I have had one for 2 years, bought as a stop-gap but so reliable I have kept it. Mine is a 2.3 non-turbo petrol estate , for simplicity. Every garage I have had dealings with for MOT's/services etc all say how reliable these are and many enthusiasts of Volvos consider these the last 'true' Volvo. The drawback is fuel consumption, but it's not that bad. I'm planning to take mine down to S France then on to Spain next summer, I have no worries about reliability.

Edited by lordwoody on 04/12/2012 at 10:56

Well, I was up until 5 in the morning working out all the figures. And been onto the hire companies today and after many phone calls and wearing the buttons on my calculator out, I think I have a final price and all the details.

In case you guys are interested I'll outline where I have come to and please feel free to come in with any suggestions/remarks.

Avis seems like the best bet. They are the only company that allows their cars to be taken into Romania (for 8 euros a day). I'm going to opt for the VW Passat Diesel Estate, they can't tell me until the day I pick it up exactly what model it will be but I am sure that a 2012 diesel Passat will achieve close to the 50 MPG mark but I have been conservative in my calculations. It works out at £485.20 for 10 days rental including Young Drivers Surcharge, Romania entry fee, unlimited mileage and snow tyres.

There are two of us going so for diesel, car rental and return flights to Dusseldorf, it will cost us each £470.11 return.

Of course, we could fly but where's the fun in that?! Currently a London - Bucharest return is £316 each for the dates we are looking at. The only cost on top of this would be the train from Bucharest to the ski resort which I shouldn't imagine would be particularly expensive.

Decisions, decisions...

If you fly Jet 2 from Bradford to Düsseldorf then you can go return for around 80ukps.

Hope you enjoy yourself, watch out for the hidden speed camaras in Germany they can prove expensive .

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - Bobbin Threadbare

Get an Interrailing ticket!

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - mickeybay

Since you seem to have calculated the costs exactly, and I presume you don't have loads of money, consider this:

Avis in Dusseldorf have an €1,050 excess for damage or theft as standard. This is where you only have their standard CDW. They offer Super Cover (see list of extras) at €20 per day to waive this completely. Get a scratch and you will be €1,050 poorer pretty rapidly.

I'm not knocking Avis - this is fairly standard amongst hire companies.

See the moneysavingexpert web site for tips on how to reduce this cost.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire#stepfour

If you have 2 drivers, you'll be charged an extra €5 per day. Again standard, but I still don't know why other than rip off since only 1 person can drive at any one time. If anything it should reduce the risk. It seems the insurance are happier to have a very tired single driver.

Without wishing to be a killjoy, you'd do well to look at the AA website for details on driving in Austria, Hungary and Romania. All have some form of payment to be allowed to use motorways (vignette) or just to use the roads (Romania).

In addition, you'll need 2 reflective jackets (one each), a warning triangle, a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit as these are compulsory. In the mountain areas of Romania, you'll also probably need compulsory snow chains (hire from Avis?).

Don't be tempted to drink a small beer in Austria and then drive on as the limit is zero in Hungary (and Romania). Coming back, be careful what's in the cough remedy and don't have a last night of Apres Ski (at least not with alcohol).

And you thought we have a common market with easy travel through borders?

Watch out for robbers who pull you over pretending an accident or problem, or just kidnap you at a services or rest area - this from the AA, "Motorists should be wary of contrived incidents, particularly on the Vienna – Budapest motorway, designed to stop motorists and expose them to robbery."

Lastly, it's winter, so there is only light from 8:00 until 16:00, so you'll be doing a large part of the trip in the dark and won't see much.

Personally, I'd fly!

Oh dear, Killjoy has taken over my login. Sorry for all this....

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - Avant

Welcome to the forum. I assume this is something of an adventure (so simply flying there, being no fun, is out): are you going to tell us what the trip is for, or is that purely personal?

Good luck whichever way you choose to do it: the head will say fly and hire, the heart might want to do the whole trip by banger, in which case I'd suggest looking at Toyotas as well as Volvos.

@mickeybay:

I've driven from the UK to Latvia before (1300 miles one way), admittedly in the summer but it did give me an idea of crossing borders etc. We had no problems whatsoever crossing borders and it worked out for most of them that we were crossing at night. I had only just bought the car back then (Audi A5 2.7 TDI oh how I miss it) and hadn't received the new V5 by then so only went with the little slip ripped off the original. There was some issues at the Poland-Lithuania border because of this but then they just went into their little car, checked the European database, saw that I owned it and we were on our way.

Thanks for the heads up on the price for using various roads, I have many friends in Romania so I can find out how much they will be and I'll do the research to find out the other prices.

It's only going to me driving anyway seeing as the guy I'm going with doesn't have a driving license so no worries there then; I'll just take regular rest stops like I did on the Latvia trip. And I will time the rest stops so that I will drive minimally in the dark (I want to see all the ice!)

Yeah, got to find a cheap place to get all of that stuff from here in the UK, reflective jackets etc. And a shovel too! And a torch! And some blankets! I keep telling myself this WILL be fun!

Killjoy? No. Realistic I say. But..."The biggest risk in life isn't taking one!"

@Avant:

Sure, it's not particularly personal...we're going for a skiing/snowboarding trip in the Romanian mountains, specifically so we'll be there for NYE.

Now my heart is being sensible too, going down the Banger route just wouldn't work. I would be worrying myself sick the whole time willing the car not to break down. I don't need an extra headache! As you can see, I have enough to think about just hiring a car!

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - daveyK_UK

If you want reliability, comfort and decent MPG

it has to be one of the following 3

Hyundai sonata

Kia magentis

honda legend

the legend will average about 28mpg on a run, the sonata/magentis are identical and should hit 37/38mpg in the 2.0 at 64mph. go for the 2.5 and it drops to about 32/33mpg at 62mph.

Honest john and many pundits in the usa agree with me that the sonata/magentis lumps while being uninspiring where under-rated by the motoring press.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 05/12/2012 at 13:29

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - leafydrive

How about a Skoda Fabia 1.9 diesel? Great mpg and the engines are suppossed to be reliable. You should be able to get a 2002 Fabia for around £1,500. I'm doing a similar trip and have been looking at cars around the £2k mark, though I did test drive a couple of cars around £1000 and it was not at all reassuring.

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - countryroads

Rover 620 diesel, fantastic on fuel and nice comfy motorway ride, cheap as chips and reliable. We used a £300 one as the family snotter for 2 years and it was great.

A friend and I did a Scally Rally for charity, to Norway in cars costing less than £100, it was great fun and more so I think because the car was a 'banger' and ours, not a rental or something pretty new. I totally get it...( ours was a Toyota Camry by the way, I still own one of the same model)

Edited by countryroads on 02/01/2013 at 22:34

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - Avant

I think the OP may have gone on his / her (you have to be careful with Ashley!) trip by now. It would be good to know the outcome, but so many OPs ask for advice and never return.

A pity if so, as in this thread at least the advice was helpful and positive.

Edited by Avant on 02/01/2013 at 23:27

What car for a long road trip across Europe... - countryroads

True enough, didnt look at the date!

@mickeybay:

I've driven from the UK to Latvia before (1300 miles one way), admittedly in the summer but it did give me an idea of crossing borders etc. We had no problems whatsoever crossing borders and it worked out for most of them that we were crossing at night. I had only just bought the car back then (Audi A5 2.7 TDI oh how I miss it) and hadn't received the new V5 by then so only went with the little slip ripped off the original. There was some issues at the Poland-Lithuania border because of this but then they just went into their little car, checked the European database, saw that I owned it and we were on our way.

Thanks for the heads up on the price for using various roads, I have many friends in Romania so I can find out how much they will be and I'll do the research to find out the other prices.

It's only going to me driving anyway seeing as the guy I'm going with doesn't have a driving license so no worries there then; I'll just take regular rest stops like I did on the Latvia trip. And I will time the rest stops so that I will drive minimally in the dark (I want to see all the ice!)

Yeah, got to find a cheap place to get all of that stuff from here in the UK, reflective jackets etc. And a shovel too! And a torch! And some blankets! I keep telling myself this WILL be fun!

Killjoy? No. Realistic I say. But..."The biggest risk in life isn't taking one!"

@Avant:

Sure, it's not particularly personal...we're going for a skiing/snowboarding trip in the Romanian mountains, specifically so we'll be there for NYE.

Now my heart is being sensible too, going down the Banger route just wouldn't work. I would be worrying myself sick the whole time willing the car not to break down. I don't need an extra headache! As you can see, I have enough to think about just hiring a car!

"checked the European database"

No such thing probably just checked to see if was on their stolen sheet.

Edited by Collos25 on 03/01/2013 at 13:08