Rover 45 - Complete Power Failure - activist3

Hello All,

I went to start my Rover 45 yesterday and it wouldnt start, just a clicking sound as i turned the ignition. This happened about 7 months ago and i bought a brand new battery. This time i got a jump start and it started immediatly. I drove down the road for about ten minutes to try and get the battery charged up and noticed when revving the battery light flicked on and flicked off just momentarily. Then as i drove down the road the electronic odometer started blinking and went off and then srs and abs warning lights flciked on and off and odometer flicked on and off and then suddently power steering went and car completly lost power. Went to restart it to move it to safer location and just clicking sound again.

Any ideas?

Rover 45 - Complete Power Failure - Peter.N.

check and clean your battery connections and apply a little grease, also check the earth connection from the battery to the engine/body.

Rover 45 - Complete Power Failure - Peter D
Sounds like the alternator brushes are shot so the alternator is not charging the battery properly. Regards Peter
Rover 45 - Complete Power Failure - TeeCee
Sounds like the alternator brushes are shot so the alternator is not charging the battery properly. Regards Peter

>> battery light flicked on and flicked off just momentarily

Sounds more like a diode on the way out in the rectifier pack to me.

Rover 45 - Complete Power Failure - activist3

Thank you for all your messages. Today a friend of mine has removed the battery to charge it seperatly and has put in another battery and it starts immediatly but im a bit wary of driving it anywhere. Im a complete noob with car so im worried im gonna be ripped off at a garage. What is a rectifier pack?

Rover 45 - Complete Power Failure - skidpan

When you get the car started put a volt meter across the battery terminals with the engine running. The voltage should be between about 14 and 14.4 volts, any more or less and the alternator is fecked. Easy to fit and cheap to buy.