VW GOLF 1.6 TDI - leaking EGR Cooler - ryanv

I bought a September 2009 Golf 1.6 tdi from approved vw dealership 8 months ago with an extended one year warranty. A warning light and loss of power was checked by dealership and diagnosed as a leaking EGR Cooler costing approx £1000 to repair. Warranty company are refusing to cover cost of repair. VW have offered a good will gesture of replacing part and 50% of labour costs. Im reliably informed that this is a common failing in the the new vw golfs. Has anyone else experienced this probelm and did they manage to get warranty or vw to cover the entire cost of repair?

VW GOLF 1.6 TDI - leaking EGR Cooler - BenG

My Seat has the older VW 1.9 TDI engine and the EGR cooler is a simple water jacket around the EGR tube, so the price you quote sounds extortionate if it is merely to replace the cooler itself.

Did the leak cause additional damage or is it just the cooler which is defective?

VW GOLF 1.6 TDI - leaking EGR Cooler - Crasher

The EGR cooler is a failure prone part but it costs around £300 for the part.

The operation of the electric circulation pump must be checked, these can cause the cooler to leak if they fail.

As the VW specified time is 410 time units (just over 4 hours) I am at a loss to explain the £300 left over.

VW GOLF 1.6 TDI - leaking EGR Cooler - ryanv

I was told that the part was approx £500 and it was about 6 hours labour

VW GOLF 1.6 TDI - leaking EGR Cooler - Collos25

Remind the garage of the Sales of Goods Act they should pay all the costs and why on earth have you paid for a worthless warranty.