Toyota Lucida Estima 2.2 TD 1995 - Starting Problem - wildstar

Hi can anybody cast any light on a starting problem I have on my Lucida?. When I turn the ignition on I usually get an audible click after approx 30 seconds, this I presume are the plugs which have reached tempreture and now ready for me to turn over the engine. Just recently this click has been sporadic and the engine refuses to start. Even when I have run the vehicle it's a real lottery if the engine will start again once I have stopped the vehicle.

Other forums I have been on point me towards the Stop Solenoid, but they refer to non starting vehicles and not a sporadic starting problem like mine. I have checked all the usall culprits like Battery, changing the Fuel and air filters etc. It has been suggested it could be an injector fault, but the car runs fine with no eratic idle problems once running. Has anybody come across this problem with their Toyota Lucida, and point me in the right direction?

Toyota Lucida Estima 2.2 TD 1995 - Starting Problem - Firecrest187

I ran 2.2 Estima/Lucidas between 1997 and 2006 after three years with a UK spec Previa. Great vehicles with none of the drawbacks of the Previa, ie poor/no aircon and astronomical fuel consumption. I gave my last one away when I got a new Chrysler Grand Voyager (for the stow 'n go). I wish I'd kept the Estima......

I've got a suggestion for your starting problem: Don't wait for the click. Try turning the key straight away, don't touch the throttle. On many diesels and in most UK situations the plugs don't need to "reach temperature". This used to work for me.

Alternatively, perhaps it does need the heater plugs, and one or more has burnt out and needs replacing. However if your problem also occurs with a warm engine, its probably not this.

Thirdly, Anti-stall valve. If this is stuck or the solenoid has burnt out it could prevent starting, but wouldn't affect running. This is probably the Stop Solenoid that other forums refer to.

Good luck!

Toyota Lucida Estima 2.2 TD 1995 - Starting Problem - Peter.N.

That starting procedure is fine for common rail engines but by the age I suspect this one is an IDI, they wont usually start without the glowplugs.

Connect a voltmeter between any glow plug and earth, when switched to the glow plug position you should have 10-11 volts for about 15-20 seconds, if you have nothing the glow plug relay is suspect, if you have much more voltage one or more glow plugs has failed.

Toyota Lucida Estima 2.2 TD 1995 - Starting Problem - madf

Just recently this click has been sporadic and the engine refuses to start.

This suggests the glow plug relay which switches on teh current to the glowplugs is faulty. Happens with age.

You can test it by running a multimeter from teh plug to earth and swithcing on the key to ignition. (Don't try to start the engine) Should see a current. No current = faulty relay..

Toyota Lucida Estima 2.2 TD 1995 - Starting Problem - wildstar

Thanks, if it ever stops raining in the south west I will give it a go. Thanks again