1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - roman

I was surprised to learn that my new Kia only does 35mpg. Even more surprised to see Honest Johns Real MPG guide. Confirming that I will never get over 40MPG as claimed by KIA. Why do we in the UK accept these inflated MPG figures when buying our cars. Surely if the figures the manufacturers claim cannot be acheived , isnt this misrepresentation of the fact. I see on google KIA is being sued by the Canadian Government by inflating its MPG figures on its cars. Any info on this?

1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - RT

It's not misrepresentation by the manufacturer - they're only allowed by law to quote the results of the official tests. The fault lies with the tests themselves, not excessive claims "advertising" claims.

1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - 72 dudes

Come on unthrottled, where are you? (:>)

Awaiting your usual diatribe on the EU fuel tests.....

1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - Bobbin Threadbare

Come on unthrottled, where are you? (:>)

Awaiting your usual diatribe on the EU fuel tests.....

Haha you beat me to saying that 72!!

1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - Avant

"Why do we in the UK accept these inflated MPG figures when buying our cars?"

We don't have to. Use the information on this site instead.

1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - Happy Blue!

The OP says the car is new. How new? If very new, it will not be fully run in and will get worse fuel consumption. What sort of driving does the OP do?

To put it in persepctive, if the car is very new and the driving is mainly urban, with lots of cold starts and short journeys, 35mpg seems fantastic to me. Especially from a heavy, tall petrol car.

1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - thunderbird

Confirming that I will never get over 40MPG as claimed by KIA. Why do we in the UK accept these inflated MPG figures when buying our cars. Surely if the figures the manufacturers claim cannot be acheived , isnt this misrepresentation of the fact. I see on google KIA is being sued by the Canadian Government by inflating its MPG figures on its cars. Any info on this?

Kia, nor any other manufacturer claim any mpg figures, they quote the "official" figures that the law requires them to do. The tests to obtain this numbers are carried out in a lab under conditions you will never meet on a public road BUT they are consistent between mnaufacturers for comparison purposes.

If you take 20% off the combined figure its a gives you a good idea what to expect.

The combied for your car is 44.1 mpg. take 20% off that you get 35.28 which is pretty much what you are getting, I would be happy. We only used to get 36 mpg out of our TDCi Mondeo.

Also consider its winter and cars take longer to warm up etc. come spring/summer the mpg will increase. If the car is brand new it will loosen up and the mpg will increase with mileage.

If you want to take out a test case against the EU be our guest. No point sueing Kia since they are not their figures.

Edited by thunderbird on 30/11/2012 at 09:38

1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - roman

Urban 37.7 combined 44.1 extra urban 48.9 or so the tec spec read.

My new Kia is now just 3 and 1/2 months old the average consumption is now 33 mpg the most I have achieved is 35.9 on a 100 mile motorway run which I drove alone and at 50mile per hour.

Boring drive so booted it all the way back and saw mileage drop to 24 mph.

For and ECO 1.6 for me it has been a folly to have bought this model and have already started to look for a replacement. Having driven for well over 30years I have just feel gutted. I have now been told that my part leather interior (why I went for the level 2) doesn't mean part leather ie interior has half leather , it means the the leather itself is only part leather mainly plastic !

Well suppose I'll go back to my beef pie who cares if its 100% horse every ones at it seems in this country.

Thanks for all your comments, I never dreamed the figures in the spec would be 20% inaccurate. In the 90's i bought a new Peugeot 106 D (1750)cc None of this Eco crap the spec said what I got and used to get 65mpg without all the electronics. The 1.6 kia has just too much tin to pull.

1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - Avant

I'm not really surprised - a Sportage is a big heavy car for a 1.6 petrol engine to pull along. You need quite a lot of welly to keep going at a decent speed.

My Octavia vRS (petrol) has a 2.0 litre engine and will do 38 mpg at motorway speeds: if I had the patience to drive at 50 mph I'm sure it would give well over 40 mpg.

Edited by Avant on 15/02/2013 at 23:52

1,6 GDI 2 Eco - New Kia Sportage - skidpan

For and ECO 1.6 for me it has been a folly to have bought this model and have already started to look for a replacement.

Thanks for all your comments, I never dreamed the figures in the spec would be 20% inaccurate.

If you sell the car and replace with a similar but theoretically more economical car you will still be disapointed since no car made will match the officila figures. If you get a car that does 40 mpg instead of the 33 mpg you are getting and it costs you £6000 to change doing 10,000 miles a year it will take 19 years before you recoup the £6000 you spend. If you spend less and get a bigger mpg difference it will take less time e.g. £3000 to change and 45 mpg will only take 6 years.

Put simply swapping your car to save money will not work, its crazy to even consider it.

As other have said its a big heavy crossover type vehicle with a 1.6 petrol fitted that has to work hard, that combination will never get good mpg in the real world. In truth 33mpg is pretty good, I would be satisfied, the wife only got that in Puma with less power and less weight driving like a grandma.

20% is a good figure to use as a guide but it still depends on your type of use, more in town and it can be as much as 40%, most out of town and it can be a sclose as 10%. Our Ceed SW CRDi does 51 mpg against a combined of 60.1 mpg, thats 15% off.