Peugeot 206 Y Reg 123K - Lazy Starter Motor? - fallenhero

Hi there

The last couple of winters on cold mornings, my car struggles to turn over and in a couple of cases hasn't started. I had a new battery fitted last year and the problem still occurs this year. One mechanic who lives in my street heard my car turning over and suggested that I have a lazy starter motor, which would make sense as I once my car starts running, I could go up the road to get some petrol, then my car will turn over without any problems and it never impacts on my 15 mile journey into work. This only happens on cold mornings, mild mornings and other times of the year it is never an issue.

I appreciate my car is fairly old, but lots of other cars older seem to never have an issue with this.

My mechanic hasn't picked this up, as he predominately services/repairs my car in the summer months. Some help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Peugeot 206 Y Reg 123K - Lazy Starter Motor? - Peter.N.

Could well be the starter motor but it might be worth checking the battery and earth connections before condeming it.

Could well be the starter motor but it might be worth checking the battery and earth connections before condeming it.

Yes somebody else mentioned that it might be the connections to the battery that may need looking at. I am hoping that it is that, as a starter motor would be quite pricey.

My mechanic is looking at it on Monday, considering we are going to have a few days cold weather, I don't want to be jump starting my car every day. Thanks

Peugeot 206 Y Reg 123K - Lazy Starter Motor? - Peter.N.

Is it petrol or diesel?

Is it petrol or diesel?

It's petrol.

Somebody mentioned that I might need an oil change, but I suspect that's unlikely, as I only had one done in mid Aug and I've only done 2k since.

Peugeot 206 Y Reg 123K - Lazy Starter Motor? - TeeCee

Somebody mentioned that I might need an oil change,

Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about.

Engine earth strap mount, battery earth strap mount or high-current connection to the starter itself has to be favourite. Remove each, clean both the lead and the point of contact thoroughly and reattach with a light smear of vaseline.

If it does turn out to be the starter itself, if the existing one spins freely when off the car, before lashing out on a new one try changing its brushes and giving the commutator a good clean. Only costs pennies and often fixes the problem. The windings very rarely give up so, if the bearings are ok, it's usually the brushes.

Somebody mentioned that I might need an oil change,

Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about.

Engine earth strap mount, battery earth strap mount or high-current connection to the starter itself has to be favourite. Remove each, clean both the lead and the point of contact thoroughly and reattach with a light smear of vaseline.

If it does turn out to be the starter itself, if the existing one spins freely when off the car, before lashing out on a new one try changing its brushes and giving the commutator a good clean. Only costs pennies and often fixes the problem. The windings very rarely give up so, if the bearings are ok, it's usually the brushes.

Thanks very much for the advice, I shall let you know on Monday, but from what you've said it does make sense.

Hi there.

As I was away for the weekend, my car wasn't used for about 4 days, and for the majority of that time, the weather was cold. However, when I returned on Monday, and I turned over the car, it started ok, but in the south east of england, the weather was distinctly milder than in previous days, so I tend to agree with you Tee Cee.

It is at my mechanics today, so will let you know, but the problems only arise when it is cold in the morning.

Thanks

Peugeot 206 Y Reg 123K - Lazy Starter Motor? - TeeCee

Another common place susceptible to damp, which is so easy to fettle it's worth doing first, are the connections to the battery itself.

Remove, clean, vaseline and reattach.