Peugeot 406 HDi 110 - Not satisfied with solid flywheel conversion. - Brlja

So....

I own a 2004 406 HDI 110 estate.

Yesterday i picked my car up from the garage that did a solid flywheel conversion to it (Valeo kit). Atm it has 85000 miles, there was some squeeking, there was vibration on acceleration and idle and chatter(judder) and pull off.
The guy from the garage called me, said the job was done but there is some slight vibration on the pedal that is apparently "normal" when converting as said from some so called Valeo expert he knows.

I picked up the guy and the 1st thing i noticed the massage the clutch pedal was giving me, and i'm not talking little vibration, im talking about not feeling ur foot after 30 sec if u have contact with the padal. The vibration stops after the clutch starts disengaging and there is no vibration all the way down to the floor.

I can live with the massage, but what bothers me the most is the VIOLENT, and i really mean violent chatter (judder) when pulling off, especially reversing. It can also be felt when shifting to 2nd and also pronounced when downshifting in lower gears, it chatters at exact moment the clutch is engaging. Its very unconfortable to drive. Chatter is one of the reasons i changed the flywheel and now it back 10 times stronger. Also might be worth mentioning that the clutch is softer after conversion.

Now, ive read a lot of posts regarding conversion including some on these forums and ppl were most satisfied describing clutch as smooth and chatter was only the problems when they had DMF. But i just cant find no1 talk about it after the conversion.

Other than that car seems just a bit rougher at hard acceleration which is normal afaik. I dont know should i call the guy or not, he can allways say it cause of the solid flywheel...

Any thoughts what the problem might be?

Edited by Brlja on 23/11/2012 at 21:32

Peugeot 406 HDi 110 - Not satisfied with solid flywheel conversion. - Peter.N.

I would be inclined to try and find someone else who has has the conversion done and compare it or even a none converted one to see how it compares with yours before you did it. The 90hp one doesn't have the DMF so if you could try one of those it might help.

I have one that's covered about 210,000 miles now and the clutch is getting near the top so was thinking of doing this conversion myself.

If you live in the westcountry you can try mine.

Called the garage. They said they did suspect it to be a bad part and they will put another one on 1st thing monday.

Peugeot 406 HDi 110 - Not satisfied with solid flywheel conversion. - Peter.N.

Right, let us know how you get on.

Peugeot 406 HDi 110 - Not satisfied with solid flywheel conversion. - gordonbennet

Right, let us know how you get on.

indeed please do, this DMF issue is a PITA for many, interesting to hear the results of any attempts to replace the things.

Car runs fine now, it was a matter of the garage not cleaning the rust and other things while fitting a new flywheel. Car is as good as new with solid now.

Peugeot 406 HDi 110 - Not satisfied with solid flywheel conversion. - Chris M

Did they say where "the rust and other things" were?

New flywheel, so no rust there and presumably a new clutch (?), so no rust there either. Or did they not clean the protective coating off the mating surfaces?

I guess they were at the place u see when u get the flywheel off. They were not on the flywheel itself as it has 300 miles on it and it sparks.

Peugeot 406 HDi 110 - Not satisfied with solid flywheel conversion. - glowplug

Just to add to this post, there were rumours that a major manufacturer was considering court action against makers of these kits because of the knock on effects this can have on other components (presumably the clutch being a wearing part is only covered for a set mileage so could be replaced outside the dealer network). I think the issue was snapped/ damaged crankshafts that aren't made to deal with the torque from a modern powerful diesel without a dual mass flywheel which must be working as a damper.

Steve.

Peugeot 406 HDi 110 - Not satisfied with solid flywheel conversion. - vmturbo

Re the vibration, it sounds to me like the exact same fault that a friend had with his Wolsely 4/44. This was in the early seventies. He had bought the car cheaply from a gypsy who had fitted a new clutch but had messed-up on the job.

I used to own a 15 cwt Commer van so we borrowed the most enormous four piece vehicle ramps from work. They were huge and gave a lift of about two feet. Gearbox off, clutch cover off and yup the pressure plate had been installed back to front!

If clutch pressure plates are installed back to front the clutch pedal will vibrate like a jackhammer when the pedal is pressed.

Glad they fixed it.